Sponsored

New Trim Level Above Sahara/Rubicon?

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Is Jeep planning a premium trim level above Sahara/Rubicon with the release of the new power top? May 2018 release?
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Is Jeep planning a premium trim level above Sahara/Rubicon with the release of the new power top? May 2018 release?
Not a single mention of this anywhere. And I doubt youā€™ll see anything beyond the two. Other than special editions that are more limited

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I bet they'll make a JLUL Limited.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Saw reference to it in the 2018 roll out with anticipated dates and power top.

Not a single mention of this anywhere. And I doubt youā€™ll see anything beyond the two. Other than special editions that are more limited

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Can definitely see that and lower end trims coming too probably for 2019 once all the JKs are cleared out...just look at previous years and Jeep will want to cover as much price range as they can.

I bet they'll make a JLUL Limited.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Jeep has seen how many road warriors purchase profitable gussied up wranglers. I would expect them to continue that profit hunting and offer some kind of truly loaded version in coming years.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was mostly a joke because then it would be the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Limited. But yea, high trim=more profit margin. So expect higher trims/special editions more-so than bargain trims.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
It was mostly a joke because then it would be the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Limited. But yea, high trim=more profit margin. So expect higher trims/special editions more-so than bargain trims.
The Wrangler probably has more special editions than anything else.

Must feel ridiculous to own a "Modern Warfare 3" edition wrangler these days.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
True which is why they will probably fill in lower trims as well to not lose their base.

$55K for a loaded Rubicon (soon to be $60K with a diesel) is plenty of profit margin. You really canā€™t stretch it too much more. At least not yet

Sponsored

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
If history repeats itself and it usually does, I'm sure we'll see some Limited Edition's down the road. The JK's currently have a Recon Rubicon, Altitude, Golden Eagel, Freedom Edition and Willys Wheeler. Why not carry those editions over to the JL's or maybe add a few more.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanna see a trim that's like a 2-door Sahara. I don't want the size of the UL but I want all the options. I also really liked the Chief color scheme. I'd also like leather seats.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this comment reeks of anti-Rubicon snobbery.

ā€˜Truly loadedā€™ ? Other than front camera or 360 view, vented seats and adaptive cruise control, what other options could they add to the Rubicon or Sahara thatā€™s not currently available? PS these features would be welcomed as itā€™s 2018.

Road warriors and off-road warriors alike enjoy the functionality and lower cost of the factory available options. Can you add LED lights all around that donā€™t look like they were bought from Pep Boys for less than $795? Can you add a tow hitch receiver, bigger alternator and Aux panel installed for less than the factory? Can you add heavy duty Dana axles, lockers, bigger brakes, skid plates and electronic disconnect for less than the factory up charge from the Sport S to the Rubicon?

Iā€™d argue that thereā€™s a bigger profit margin earned from the Sport S over the Rubicon.
There isn't a single false word in my post, so I don't know what you're on about. I made the extremely true statement that Jeep has seen that loaded wranglers sell, and that they'll come out with extra loaded versions just like they did with the JK, such as the Rubicon Recon.

There are tons of features still not offered on the Wrangler that they could apply to some kind of Limited-esque model. And as someone who loves what the Rubicon has done for the industry, I actually love the Rubicon, and love suggesting others buy one if it sounds like it meets their needs.

I completely disagree with your last statement, as the Rubicon is several thousand dollars more than a sport S. I'm willing to bet jeep makes more per unit on a Rubicon. Keep in mind that Jeep's incremental cost for those top shelf parts is not excessive. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs Jeep $200 to select a Rock-trac transfer case over standard Command-trac. They're a manufacturer playing by different economics than jimbob adding individual parts to his vehicle.
Sponsored