First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ Rub, 68 CJ5, 47 CJ2A, 42 MB, 19 F-250
Occupation
Criminal Case Auditor
I'm hoping someone can answer a question regarding the TPMS sensors.

I am attempting to order new tires and wheels for my 2021 JL 392 and have been told by the sales rep at Discount tire that the 21 and newer models require a different style TPMS sensor. They are also stating these required sensors are backordered. Does anyone know if the 18-20 year model sensors will work in a 2021 and newer Jeep?
I realize I can use my factory set but prefer to keep that tire/wheel/sensor set together and sell them.

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored

OP
OP
jlusmc

jlusmc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Criminal Case Auditor

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/2020-J...d-OEM-TPMS-Sensor-p/tpms-29117-03-jl-set5.htm

I ordered these a month ago for my 21. Work as they should. It looks like maybe they switched sometime in the 2020 model year according to the part numbers on here. They list one for 18-20 and another for 20-21.
He answered it but I can elaborate. Schrader 20398 has been the Wrangler TPMS since 2013. Same protocol as all the way up to 2022 so far. When Jeep introduced the TFA feature (Tire Fill Alert) they launched the 29117 again same protocol as the 20398 just had the TFA feature built in. Those did not last long as Schrader had some issues so they quickly launched the 29093 as the replacement again same protocol as the 20398 just with TFA feature. You can use a 20398, 29117 and a 29093 on all Wranglers from 2013 on. HOWEVER if you have TFA and like that feature then you need 29093. Lastly yes they were out of them for a while because of the chip issues and those issues are still plaguing many TPMS suppliers. 29093's have been back and available for a couple of months now.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
He answered it but I can elaborate. Schrader 20398 has been the Wrangler TPMS since 2013. Same protocol as all the way up to 2022 so far. When Jeep introduced the TFA feature (Tire Fill Alert) they launched the 29117 again same protocol as the 20398 just had the TFA feature built in. Those did not last long as Schrader had some issues so they quickly launched the 29093 as the replacement again same protocol as the 20398 just with TFA feature. You can use a 20398, 29117 and a 29093 on all Wranglers from 2013 on. HOWEVER if you have TFA and like that feature then you need 29093. Lastly yes they were out of them for a while because of the chip issues and those issues are still plaguing many TPMS suppliers. 29093's have been back and available for a couple of months now.
And this explains why TFA doesn't seem to work on my JLR, it was built at the beginning of 2021 and the TPMS has 20516 on it...

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
68339096AB is a part number I found for 2021s built after June, but still trying to validate if tire fill alert works with them or not. I sent a message to allmoparparts to check based on my VIN (2021 JLUR-D) built late July. I want to buy a spare set for my new wheels, but cant get a confirmation so far to make sure these are right. I know they are not the same as my 2020, so that part numbers out.

Found below image as well from the 392 forums where others are also struggling for the newest TPMS part number. seems to confirm the number I found also.

218F0AC5-0401-4CFC-B204-487FA38F447B.png

Last edited:

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
68339096AB is a part number I found for 2021s built after June, but still trying to validate if tire fill alert works with them or not. I sent a message to allmoparparts to check based on my VIN (2021 JLUR-D) built late July. I want to buy a spare set for my new wheels, but cant get a confirmation so far to make sure these are right. I know they are not the same as my 2020, so that part numbers out.

Found below image as well from the 392 forums where others are also struggling for the newest TPMS part number. seems to confirm the number I found also.

Jeep Wrangler JL New TPMS sensors part for 2021+ models? 218F0AC5-0401-4CFC-B204-487FA38F447B
That's my pic from when I was at the dealer trying to sort this out. This highlighted part is the same as a Schrader 29057. This part is used in many different vehicles and Schrader puts the different manufacturer part #s on them, about 40 different #'s. I was all set to get this so I could sell my 392 wheels as is or keep them for later. As I was working with a TPMS dealer I ordered the 68339096AB but received another for a Ram 1500. They assured me it was the same. As I did more research I noticed on my window sticker it showed "Continent Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor" and of all places in the optional equipment section. This would be a complete different sensor and receiver. Now I was on the hunt for a Continental sensor. The TPMS dealer was local for me and as I was going to return the Schrader sensors he offered to scan my wheel to see which sensor it was. No valid scan for VDO or Continental. It scanned as a Schrader and the sensor I had purchased 29057 will work. Not sure why they have the Continental on the window sticker. As far as resale goes most likely the buyer would have to swap out the sensors anyway. Clear as mud, shouldn't have been that difficult.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That's my pic from when I was at the dealer trying to sort this out. This highlighted part is the same as a Schrader 29057. This part is used in many different vehicles and Schrader puts the different manufacturer part #s on them, about 40 different #'s. I was all set to get this so I could sell my 392 wheels as is or keep them for later. As I was working with a TPMS dealer I ordered the 68339096AB but received another for a Ram 1500. They assured me it was the same. As I did more research I noticed on my window sticker it showed "Continent Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor" and of all places in the optional equipment section. This would be a complete different sensor and receiver. Now I was on the hunt for a Continental sensor. The TPMS dealer was local for me and as I was going to return the Schrader sensors he offered to scan my wheel to see which sensor it was. No valid scan for VDO or Continental. It scanned as a Schrader and the sensor I had purchased 29057 will work. Not sure why they have the Continental on the window sticker. As far as resale goes most likely the buyer would have to swap out the sensors anyway. Clear as mud, shouldn't have been that difficult.
So that is confirmed to be a good part number through Mopar? Does your tire fill alert still work with the ones you bought? I have been digging for a few days for this as I want to order wheels and tires and I want a new tpms set if I can find them. the only thing I am sure of is that the ones I bought for my 2020 will not work and let the TFA function.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have confirmed 68313387AB that states "continental tire pressure sensors" on the window sticker and part 68339096AB are both the Schrader 29057. Any build after about 6/5/21 (because we have received 3 dates from Jeep dealers) should be the new TPMS.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
So that is confirmed to be a good part number through Mopar? Does your tire fill alert still work with the ones you bought? I have been digging for a few days for this as I want to order wheels and tires and I want a new tpms set if I can find them. the only thing I am sure of is that the ones I bought for my 2020 will not work and let the TFA function.
I havent had the tires mounted yet, Hopefully in the next week or 2. 68293199AA for the Ram 1500 is also a Schrader 29057. I am wondering if at some point they will switch over to the Continental.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I ended up having Discount just pop the stock TPMS sensors out of the stock assemblies and re set the bead.

Saves you the cost of the sensors, and I doubt you'll recover the ~$120+ directly in the resell.

Billyg73

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2021 wrangler Sahara
So I have an add-on question for this thread becuase you guys know your stuff. I have a 2021 sahara, bought my brother in laws 392 rims and I can't get the tpms sensors to sync. Was told 2 diff stories. tire guys said I had to swap the sensors, then dealer said you may be able to program them. Something about switched sensors mid 2021 production. I have been unable to get a dealer on the phone to tell me if they can do it or not which is even more annoying. Any and ALL help would be great. also... Last weekend took off the spare, lowered the tires to 20 lbs, ran them about 5 mins. took them up to 40 psi and then ran them around town. still nothing. I think I need the machine.... THANKS!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So I have an add-on question for this thread becuase you guys know your stuff. I have a 2021 sahara, bought my brother in laws 392 rims and I can't get the tpms sensors to sync. Was told 2 diff stories. tire guys said I had to swap the sensors, then dealer said you may be able to program them. Something about switched sensors mid 2021 production. I have been unable to get a dealer on the phone to tell me if they can do it or not which is even more annoying. Any and ALL help would be great. also... Last weekend took off the spare, lowered the tires to 20 lbs, ran them about 5 mins. took them up to 40 psi and then ran them around town. still nothing. I think I need the machine.... THANKS!
I don't believe they're programmable. Do you still have your old setup? Any tire shop should be able to swap them in less than an hour. They just pop the beads and swap them out.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not re-programmable.

Check the production dates first. On or about 6/5/21 the TPMS part changed.

To be for sure call a dealer and ask for parts dept. Give them both VIN's and ask them for TPMS part#. With that info you can be for sure. If they are not relearning then probably that is the issue.

OP
OP
jlusmc

jlusmc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Criminal Case Auditor
After all the answers received here I went out and purchased 5 of the 29093 Schrader valves for my new wheels and tires. I then had the tire shop install them. I knew beforehand that i'd have to drive up to 20 min to get the sensors to sync with the system but after two days all I get is a dash message saying "Tire Pressure Unavailable" and a solid TPMS warning light. I had the tire shop confirm the sensors were working via handheld scanner. Last night I did a full reboot of the Tazer Mini I have and walla, the sensors started reading.......but....... as I drove to work (15 min) the pressure readings went blank, the light came back on and I have the same message appearing. Any Ideas what is going wrong or what I might do to correct the issue. I would like for my TPMS to work/display properly. Thanks in advance.
FYI: they are aftermarket wheels 17x9 -12 offset and 35" tires.
Sponsored