Sponsored

New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model. Looking for insight.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I’ve been interested in wranglers for a while, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Now I’m looking and I test drove a Sahara, a Rubicon and Rubicon Recon, I’m confused as to which route to go. I love the look of the rubicon, but, they are a lot of money. I started thinking about a Sahara Altitude as it seems to be the happy median between the Rubicon and the Sahara. Then I think that the extra $5k May be worth it and just go rubicon. Either way... I’m looking for suggestions so please give me some insight.
Buy the Rubicon. It sounds like it is what you really want. Go with your gut!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
Well....I’ve been talking with the dealer and there is like NO movement on the price of these things! They are really working hard on getting me into a Sting Gray Rubicon Recon. My trade plus $15k gets me to $525 per month. I don’t want to spend that kind of money monthly....but, if I settle, I know I’ll regret it.

mr187

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Law enforcement
So this was my starting point.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. IMG_5222.JPG

Then I started upgrading....

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. IMG_6618.JPG

35" Tires

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. IMG_6806.JPG

Lift and cosmetic items added

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. IMG_7046.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. IMG_8102.JPG

and then.....

See My profile picture!!

Wish I would have bought the Rubicon to start with!!!

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
If you even need to ask “do I need a Rubicon?” then the answer is a resounding no. The Rubicon offers tremendous value for those that will use that extra value. Reality is most Wrangler owners don’t.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
Well....I’ve been talking with the dealer and there is like NO movement on the price of these things! They are really working hard on getting me into a Sting Gray Rubicon Recon. My trade plus $15k gets me to $525 per month. I don’t want to spend that kind of money monthly....but, if I settle, I know I’ll regret it.
You can find good deals, you just have to shop dealers. This thread is a good starting point. Don't be afraid to go out of town.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/

Last edited:

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
They have all said it, Get the Rubicon. if you are going bigger tires, the 4.10 gears are worth it. 2-3K to re-gear.

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
fwiw I could not justify the cost of the Rubicon over the first month with the Sport S. I've been using it as daily driver and we've had a couple of good/fun jeep trail runs - all bone stock. No, not rock crawling or extreme, but certainly trails that aren't viable with a standard vehicle.

The Rubi certainly looks cooler and will go more places. But I think the Sport is still a very capable vehicle depending on your needs.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
First, you don't buy a payment, you buy a car, and a car has a price, if the price is right, the payment takes care of itself.

Second. You need a new dealer. The dealer review section on this site is a great way to start.

A Sahara is a fantastic car, and I keep up with Rubicon TJs in my JK X. You really can't go wrong, but in the end, get what you want, and find a dealer who will make it happen. Seriously, take the money you save from the dealer who "deals" and have a great road trip when it gets delivered.

Get the jeep you love, have fun. It's one of the best things about jeep, so many options, all of them are great....

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Gonna look at a few this weekend...
Have fun! Do your research, and if you find one you like, put the screws to 'em! I love reading great deal reports on here!
Sponsored