Sponsored

New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model. Looking for insight.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I’m sure the Rubicon is the way to go....you just can’t really get a good deal on them.
I believe the deals can be the same across all trims - 7% or better below invoice. You just have to be willing to look further than the dealer closest to you. If price is a concern, you always can order a real Jeep for $42k - 2-door Manual Rubicon. ;)
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any reported problems with the 2.0 GME engine?
Other than a couple freak issues that seemed to stem from a bad part that made it to the line, nothing much.

Most reoccurring engine related issues are from prematurely dying 12v batteries on the ESS equipped engines, and pinging/fuel knock on the 3.6. The tried and true v6 received a makeover in more recent years, which included a higher compression ratio and other redesigns for improved fuel economy.

Also, it should be of note that most of the jeeps active on this site are v6's, which will tip the scales.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I will be using it as a daily driver, so I do want the creature comforts. I love the look of the Rubicon....but I keep seeing them at $52-$58k. I test drove a sting gray Rubicon last week with cloth interior and decently optioned for $45k. The dealership was not where I wanted to be with my trade in. As for mods...I like the Rubicon because as long as it serves as a daily....I don’t want to get really heavy into modding it. I went to another dealer and they had a Rubicon Recon in sting gray and it was awesome....but $55k. I’m not to sure about the turbo 4....the 6 is tried and true.
Order one exactly as you like, don't go through the dealer unless they're willing to go below invoice. You can order one from several dealers within a few hundred miles from you that are willing to do that. And if you really try hard and don't mind a drive, 5-6% below invoice (and sometimes even more) is possible.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, when I bought my Rubicon, I justified the extra money for it by thinking "I love the way it looks...I won't have to MOD it" (and I got an amazing deal) but 6 months in, I caught the MOD bug. If you think there might be a chance that you will MOD it, then I would would not get the Rubicon. You'll have to ask yourself if you will really go heavy off-roading or rock crawling, but even then, the disconnects can still be added later. And if you're going to lift it and get wheels, then you're just "throwing away" those Rubicon parts anyway. What cannot be added later is something like the Select-trac transmission (basically Jeep's version of AWD). If this will be your daily, then this factor may be something to think about.

If you don't mind getting an used Jeep, then you might want to look for a MOAB edition. This is my favorite because it looks like a Rubicon and it has the Select-trac trans. The only problem is that they are kind of hard to find and the price is pretty close to buying new.

FYI - I was looking for a MOAB (Jan 2020), but I got lucky and found a new '19 Rubicon on a dealer lot for 46500 (MSRP of 57k), so I could not pass that up. MOABs were going for about that same price (some higher) with 10K-30k miles.

Also, I got the 2.0L turbo model and I love it. It's psychologically weird to get a 4cly, but this thing is great...so far. Who knows after 60k miles or something though. (I don't usually keep my cars that long, so I don't really care.) If this is of any concern, then just get the 3.6L though.

Edit: I wanted to add...my friend recently bought a Rubicon too, but he was not able to get as good of a deal as mine due to the current inventory. In my area (northern VA), dealerships who normally carry like 1000 vehicles on the lot only have like 300. IMO, since they can't rely on volume sales, they have to make more money per sale now.
In response to your first paragraph, it is not at all a waste of getting a Rubicon because you simply lifted it and upgraded the wheels/tires. Furthermore, it's still not a waste to replace all steering linkages, track bars, and control arms that largely aid in properly supporting that new lift and tires.

It only becomes a true waste, if one goes into it knowing they will replace axles and transfer case and will be gutting interior paid for creature comforts for weight savings. Then, they should've just gotten a stripped down sport from the get go, because at that point they really paid an arm and a leg for a cooler looking hood and highline fenders.

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
In response to your first paragraph, it is not at all a waste of getting a Rubicon because you simply lifted it and upgraded the wheels/tires. Furthermore, it's still not a waste to replace all steering linkages, track bars, and control arms that largely aid in properly supporting that new lift and tires.

It only becomes a true waste, if one goes into it knowing they will replace axles and transfer case and will be gutting interior paid for creature comforts for weight savings. Then, they should've just gotten a stripped down sport from the get go, because at that point they really paid an arm and a leg for a cooler looking hood and highline fenders.
Ah, I see.

I shamefully admit that mine is a "mall crawler" ...man, I can't even remember the last time I went to the mall come to think of it. LOL

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Other than a couple freak issues that seemed to stem from a bad part that made it to the line, nothing much.

Most reoccurring engine related issues are from prematurely dying 12v batteries on the ESS equipped engines, and pinging/fuel knock on the 3.6. The tried and true v6 received a makeover in more recent years, which included a higher compression ratio and other redesigns for improved fuel economy.

Also, it should be of note that most of the jeeps active on this site are v6's, which will tip the scales.
Well yes, I have the 2.0 engine and yes I’ve had the issue with the auxiliary battery but when I see folks on here saying they’d prefer the ‘proven’ V6 I wonder where this bias comes from. I think at this point we can say that the Internal Combistion Engine is mature technology. I’m not sure anybody is manufacturing ‘bad’ engines.

So I say to the OP get the engine you prefer, I don’t think there’s a ‘wrong’or a ‘right’ in this choice.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, I see.

I shamefully admit that mine is a "mall crawler" ...man, I can't even remember the last time I went to the mall come to think of it. LOL
Don't be at all ashamed! Except for the very lucky small percentage, the vast majority of us are crawling more parking lots than trails.

And I agree about the malls. It's been so long, that when they reopen, we'll all be eyes wide and drop-jawed looking around in amazement.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Wheeling is very addicting and so are big tires. I daily drive my Jeep and have spent the last year turning my Sport S into a Rubicon. Still drives just fine for me and I don't even have my front swaybar connected. If you know you won't be upgrading your tire size and rock crawling then save the money by not going Rubi. But if you want the most capable model from the factory, one where you don't need to upgrade to Dana 60 axles or a new transfer case to crawl, then the Rubi is it. If you want a Jeep that won't let you down on the trails, but with no lockers/4:1 TC that has room to grow, the other models (sport/sahara/whatever else they have now) will do just fine!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

been in my sports for a year and a half now. walked out for under 36K ive put on a few things for cheap. rubi suspension for 150 bucks and the rock rails where only 50 and rubi wheels and tires brand new for 900 bucks cash. basically have a rubi that is well under 45-60K and my payment is half the price it would have been with a rubi. I also said i wouldnt mod my jeep.... well now i have a 2.5" lift on its way and plans to axle swap. etc. but i feel with the rubicon i would have done the same mods i have planed out and would have been 15K* more in debt. thats just my .02 the only down fall is if you like to have a new vehicle every few years the trade in/ resell on a rubi is a little higher.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Where I was shopping for mine, I was going back and forth between Sport S and Rubicon. Saharah was not on my radar because There was nothing I wanted on the Sahara that I could not get on the Rubicon and if I went with a Sport S, there was nothing the Sahara offered that I could nit get or upgrade to.

To build a Sport or Sahara to the level of a Rubicon is going to cost more. If you are going to buy a Rubicon and pull off the goodies that make it a Rubicon and upgrade it, then get the Sport and upgrade it.

For me, I'm not going to pull off Rubicon parts to upgrade it other than wheels tires and bolt on. I already did wheels, winch and some under body protection. Next is 35" tires and more under body protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model.  Looking for insight. 20200624_161113

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve been interested in wranglers for a while, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Now I’m looking and I test drove a Sahara, a Rubicon and Rubicon Recon, I’m confused as to which route to go. I love the look of the rubicon, but, they are a lot of money. I started thinking about a Sahara Altitude as it seems to be the happy median between the Rubicon and the Sahara. Then I think that the extra $5k May be worth it and just go rubicon. Either way... I’m looking for suggestions so please give me some insight.
If you are not planning to take it off road, but you think you will be doing some/mods then go with a sport. You will save a ton of money and you will have the opportunity to build it out just the way you wan't, without a bunch of components that you don't use. If you're planning on going off road with it then forget this post.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Simple answer: get the 2 door Rubicon with the 3.0L diesel with the DEF delete, in an uprated 6spd MT, the full-time AWD option, the electronic select that lets you switch on the fly between the Rubicon and Mojave suspension, and the fast back hard top option.
Sponsored