Sponsored

New to Wranglers, trying to pick the best all around model. Looking for insight.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I’ve been interested in wranglers for a while, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Now I’m looking and I test drove a Sahara, a Rubicon and Rubicon Recon, I’m confused as to which route to go. I love the look of the rubicon, but, they are a lot of money. I started thinking about a Sahara Altitude as it seems to be the happy median between the Rubicon and the Sahara. Then I think that the extra $5k May be worth it and just go rubicon. Either way... I’m looking for suggestions so please give me some insight.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’ve been interested in wranglers for a while, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. Now I’m looking and I test drove a Sahara, a Rubicon and Rubicon Recon, I’m confused as to which route to go. I love the look of the rubicon, but, they are a lot of money. I started thinking about a Sahara Altitude as it seems to be the happy median between the Rubicon and the Sahara. Then I think that the extra $5k May be worth it and just go rubicon. Either way... I’m looking for suggestions so please give me some insight.
Nicky, in your sidebar it says "Looking for a Sting Gray Rubicon" , I'd stick with that plan, and it will be easier to fix that sidebar later, just have to erase "Looking for" and replace it with "Own" :)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Welcome to the forum!

I have the Recon and *love* it. The 2.0 eTorque and 8A make a great daily driver.

I got a Rubicon because I do go off-road and the trails here are rocky so the Rubicon features make sense. Plus, I just like the look.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I have to say the Rubicon has been the most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had some fun ones). Go with the one you like best, but you won’t be sorry with the Rubi - I feel that it can drive through any weather or terrain conditions/take anything that you throw at it, I feel that it rides great and even looks cool on top of everything else.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Nothing wrong with a Rubicon but if you're going to modify it beyond recognition, get a used Sport and save the money towards mods. It's much more enjoyable that way if you have time and money.

Once you mod it, no one really compares stock trims because you can't even tell which is which anyway. So the Sport vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon matters mostly if you are keeping it stock.

Edit: Oh and go for the 8 speed and the tried and true 3.6 without the 48V BSG crap. Keep away from the 2L soda can, if you can.. Jeep doesn't trust it in the Gladiator and it isn't as smooth. As for the diesel... just look up the issues.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will be using it as a daily driver, so I do want the creature comforts. I love the look of the Rubicon....but I keep seeing them at $52-$58k. I test drove a sting gray Rubicon last week with cloth interior and decently optioned for $45k. The dealership was not where I wanted to be with my trade in. As for mods...I like the Rubicon because as long as it serves as a daily....I don’t want to get really heavy into modding it. I went to another dealer and they had a Rubicon Recon in sting gray and it was awesome....but $55k. I’m not to sure about the turbo 4....the 6 is tried and true.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a 2020 JLU Sport with the 2.0 turbo and the automatic. Great daily driver My wife has a 2020 JL Rubicon, similarly equippe.d. A good daily driver. She recently asked me if I look forward to the weekends, and when I asked her why, she said “because you get to drive the Rubi”. She’s right

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure the Rubicon is the way to go....you just can’t really get a good deal on them.

My other area of concern is the hinges. I’m a clean car guy...I thought they resolved the bubbling paint issue on the hinges...then I saw that 30 page thread on how it’s still coming up.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
What size tires will you want to run?

If 35 or larger i would get the Rubicon just because of the better gearing and the ability to run 35s without a lift.

Otherwise i would look closely at Sport special editions in addition to the Sahara. Depending on what you like there may be more value there. If you like the aggressive look of the Rubicon i would look at the Willys.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Rubicon. Eventually you are going to try going off-road and then you will get hooked. The Rubicon needs virtually no mods to hang with very modified older Jeeps on the trails.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I test drove the 2020 JL Turbo and 6cyl and something just felt off with the Turbo. This is my third Jeep and each one had the time tested 6cyl. I can’t recall ever having problems with any of them outside of general maintenance. As for which model?? RUBI all the way. Of them all, the Rubi stands out in a big way on the road. As others have mentioned, if your plan is to completely custom build your Jeep than a Rubi might not be the fit for the price tag( go for a sport).However, if your looking for the most capable off-road vehicles out of the box with the bonus of a very comfortable daily driver... then a Rubi is quite appealing. Good luck!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Are there any reported problems with the 2.0 GME engine?

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
So, when I bought my Rubicon, I justified the extra money for it by thinking "I love the way it looks...I won't have to MOD it" (and I got an amazing deal) but 6 months in, I caught the MOD bug. If you think there might be a chance that you will MOD it, then I would would not get the Rubicon. You'll have to ask yourself if you will really go heavy off-roading or rock crawling, but even then, the disconnects can still be added later. And if you're going to lift it and get wheels, then you're just "throwing away" those Rubicon parts anyway. What cannot be added later is something like the Select-trac transmission (basically Jeep's version of AWD). If this will be your daily, then this factor may be something to think about.

If you don't mind getting an used Jeep, then you might want to look for a MOAB edition. This is my favorite because it looks like a Rubicon and it has the Select-trac trans. The only problem is that they are kind of hard to find and the price is pretty close to buying new.

FYI - I was looking for a MOAB (Jan 2020), but I got lucky and found a new '19 Rubicon on a dealer lot for 46500 (MSRP of 57k), so I could not pass that up. MOABs were going for about that same price (some higher) with 10K-30k miles.

Also, I got the 2.0L turbo model and I love it. It's psychologically weird to get a 4cly, but this thing is great...so far. Who knows after 60k miles or something though. (I don't usually keep my cars that long, so I don't really care.) If this is of any concern, then just get the 3.6L though.

Edit: I wanted to add...my friend recently bought a Rubicon too, but he was not able to get as good of a deal as mine due to the current inventory. In my area (northern VA), dealerships who normally carry like 1000 vehicles on the lot only have like 300. IMO, since they can't rely on volume sales, they have to make more money per sale now.
Sponsored

Last edited: