Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Love this thread! I had a 2012 Wrangler and have been without for 5 years and likely jumping back in with a 2022. Just yesterday I read a thread about engines and it changed my mind to go with the turbo 4. I'd been hesitant because of the ESS but now I know there's a way to disable that if it bugs me! Also the auto park ... that would have shocked me too!

I'm also planning on the upgraded Alpine speakers but NOT the upgraded head unit. I can't justify spending 2k for a bigger screen. I don't need navigation with Apple Car Play. Has anyone else gone this route and any feedback on the smaller screen with the Alpine speakers?
I have the 7" non-Alpine system. I assume base speakers, but not sure. I can say I'm very happy with the sound quality.
Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
With the same concern in mind, I added this item. It fools the software, as intended.
Thank you for the suggestion. I got a set for the grandkids car seats, and it makes it much easier with the 94 yo mother in law as well.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
I have the 7" non-Alpine system. I assume base speakers, but not sure. I can say I'm very happy with the sound quality.
The good news is I didn't have to worry about the audio. I just ordered my 2022 and the Premium Audio with the Alpine speakers is included in the base price now. :like:

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I've been driving a truck with manual windows/locks I bought new in 2008.

Its no big deal to lean over and take care of the passenger side. The JLU is small enough I can do the same.

While it would be nice, like I've said before I pull the sticker out of the glove box and smile at the price, knowing 95% of the Jeeps around here cost $20 to 30k more than my yella stripper.

Well first I smile at the "This vehicle was built especially for ....".

I could be wrong, but I don't see any way to get PWR without spending at least 4.2K more. I might have went for a 2K upgrade.

20211013_092430.jpg

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
So, I did a thing today.
You will recall my JLU is a super stripper.

A couple months ago I purchased the Shadeidea Sunshade. It is still boxed up.

A couple weeks ago I purchased the Tazer Mini. It is still in the box.

Yesterday I purchased Nerf Bars, they just shipped.

Today, I ordered Hitch/Wiring, Seat Covers and a hitch Bike Rack.

Full LEDs and I should be all done. I'll have around $1500 in aftermarket parts total.
And so it begins down the rabbit hole to endless mods lol. Congratulations on your new Jeep!

Sponsored

DVBenco

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Granite Crystal
Congrats! I'm a first-time buyer, too - picked mine up in July.

If you like the Freedom Tops, I highly, highly recommend that you budget for a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtops. It's everything you love about the Freedom Panels, without the hassle of the actual Freedom Panels. It's not cheap, but I can't see a reason I would ever take it off, personally. I open it pretty much every time I drive.
LOVE my sun rider for hardtop - planning To put freedom panels back in when snow/ice season comes, but it is really the best of both worlds - especially here in PA when it could rain at any moment!

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
LOVE my sun rider for hardtop - planning To put freedom panels back in when snow/ice season comes, but it is really the best of both worlds - especially here in PA when it could rain at any moment!
It sounds awesome, but it reminds me of that top lifter gadget. I think they are both great, but I feel they cost right at 2X what I'll pay. I guess I'm a cheap ass.

PatriotBlue

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR (2.0L)
Funny reading this after having just taken home a new Jeep myself on Saturday. I got spooked by all of the supply shortages, and in need of a new ride after selling my vehicle back in June, I picked up a new JLU Rubi off the lot rather than waiting on a '22 Sport order (which I'm still contemplating). Not exactly equipped how I'd like, but close so I jumped on it. Oh, and I picked it up in another state since everything here is marked up by $3K to $8K-ish depending on the Jeep, and had a nice ~125 mile ride back.

I am not a stranger to Jeeps, and just rented a Willys 2.0L in August. But I was absolutely surprised by how comfortable the ride was on the way home. Even though the tires were at 39 from the factory, the thing straight up felt like a Grand Cherokee on the highway stretches I took home, to the point of me regretting that it's not "Jeep enough" lol. I think the leather bucket seats (the main option that I definitely did not want) have something to do with it. The 2.0L is awesome though. Peppy for cruising around town and solid enough on a highway.

Love it. Need to get a soft top and also thinking about an OEM LED upgrade.

But also thinking about a 2 door Sport base 😁. Shame Hella is no longer available, it's an awesome color!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...like I've said before I pull the sticker out of the glove box and smile at the price, knowing 95% of the Jeeps around here cost $20 to 30k more than my yella stripper.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any way to get PWR without spending at least 4.2K more. I might have went for a 2K upgrade.

20211013_092430.jpg
Just yesterday, I drove past two Jeep dealerships with fairly decent lot stock on display. The neon prices on the windscreens made plain that your suggestion of a $20-$30K variance (between a Sport and almost everything else) is just getting started. The high water mark was ~$73K for a tarted-up Gladiator. SMH at that one.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I've been driving a truck with manual windows/locks I bought new in 2008.

Its no big deal to lean over and take care of the passenger side. The JLU is small enough I can do the same.

While it would be nice, like I've said before I pull the sticker out of the glove box and smile at the price, knowing 95% of the Jeeps around here cost $20 to 30k more than my yella stripper.

Well first I smile at the "This vehicle was built especially for ....".

20211013_092430.jpg
Holy crap that's a big price jump - the S package was just $3,200 (sticker) for my 2018. Base 4-door Sport MSRP was $31,445 (plus the $1,500 destination). At least Hellayella paint was free, seems like everything but white is at least 250 bucks. The hardtop is now $1,545???

Geez! I'm glad I scooped up that low-option leftover when I did. Happened to get a great deal on top of the sticker price being low (compared to 95% of 4-doors out there).

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
The good news is I didn't have to worry about the audio. I just ordered my 2022 and the Premium Audio with the Alpine speakers is included in the base price now. :like:
Just a heads up.

Its Alpine “speaker” meaning 1, not speakers. Only the rear cargo speaker tends to be Alpine as many of us that bought the Premium Audio have discovered. If you are not careful you can easily damage the stock speakers when turning up the volume. The higher volumes are ok for the Alpine speaker not for the stock speakers.

Best way to know if you actually got all Alpine speakers is to physical pull the speaker covers off and look. Jeep doesn’t expect the average buyer to know the difference and more then often just puts in stock ones.

My 2020 JLUR with Premium Audio had three speakers replaced under warranty. My 2021 I passed on the Alpine system (miss the bigger display screen a bit) because of the speaker issues I had. Plus I value the little extra cargo area somewhat more and not having to worry about damaging the rear speaker when cargo shifts around.

Last edited:

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Love this thread! I had a 2012 Wrangler and have been without for 5 years and likely jumping back in with a 2022. Just yesterday I read a thread about engines and it changed my mind to go with the turbo 4. I'd been hesitant because of the ESS but now I know there's a way to disable that if it bugs me! Also the auto park ... that would have shocked me too!

I'm also planning on the upgraded Alpine speakers but NOT the upgraded head unit. I can't justify spending 2k for a bigger screen. I don't need navigation with Apple Car Play. Has anyone else gone this route and any feedback on the smaller screen with the Alpine speakers?
The Hurricane is an amazing powerplant.

It's the reason I went 4xe on our Tuscadero (on order).
Sponsored