First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but depends on:
> Wife's ultimate acceptance of her and desire to drive her.
> Spring used market condition
> 2022 pricing
> 2022 colors
> And if Gupton is still offering aggressive discounts. Which I don't think they will. Honestly, I want to repeat that experience. It was so surreal and enjoyable, pretty much the exact opposite of any new car purchase I've ever had.

There is one thing I can tell you already tho. I'm guessing there is gonna be a Wrangler in my life from now on. It's hard to explain.

Even tho I've only had the Freedom Top off so far, as I blasted down the freeway, music blasting,, wind in my hair, my troubles and worries melted away. 😁
Get a BesTop Sunrider and leave the Freedom tops at home. Sunrider for Hardtop® Jeep 2020-2021 Gladiator; 2018-2021 Wrangler JL - Bestop | Leading Supplier of Jeep Tops & Accessories
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

I'm also planning on the upgraded Alpine speakers but NOT the upgraded head unit. I can't justify spending 2k for a bigger screen. I don't need navigation with Apple Car Play. Has anyone else gone this route and any feedback on the smaller screen with the Alpine speakers?
I ordered a 2021 JLR with tow package (for the upgraded alternator and aux switches), Alpine (for the amp/sub) and proximity keyless entry (I didn't want this, but the dealer said the order wouldn't take unless this was added for some reason). So, I added very little to my JLR order, but the Alpine was one of two things I wanted and I think it was well worth it. I'm a music guy, and typically swap out stock parts for aftermarket stereo stuff. I had a Ford vehicle recently and it was very difficult to upgrade (lack of a/m support) so I thought I'd start with the factory upgrade and see how I like it. I like it enough that I'm not going to swap anything at this point. Maybe a couple years down the road, but it sounds good. Also, I don't miss a larger screen. In fact, the smaller, seven inch screen, is plenty big for me.

BTW, my 20121 JLR, with 7" screen and UConnect 4 (or whatever it is) came with Apple Car Play and Google Auto Android.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also, I don't miss a larger screen. In fact, the smaller, seven inch screen, is plenty big for me.

BTW, my 20121 JLR, with 7" screen and UConnect 4 (or whatever it is) came with Apple Car Play and Google Auto Android.
Just upgraded from my 5" Uconnect 3 to the 7" Uconnect 4, such a nice change, that 5" it's just too bare-bones basic. @LuvYella if you can find a 7" unit (w/ Sirius/XM if you want that) for $400 on the site I'd do it for sure!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
> They need a bug repeller on the windshield. OMG, the bugs.

> The little Turbo that could. This thing is peppy AF. Currently averaging 26.3 mpg

> A little buyers remorse on the manual locks until I look at my window sticker, then I'm good.
Congrats on taking delivery.

I keep a spray squeegee on hand in the garage, since most drives require that I debug after arriving home. It's just how it is.

Love the 2.0T in my JLU, too. My average fuel mileage in mixed driving is 27.x mpg. I've used Premium fuel since Day 1, although doing so isn't compulsory.

I too have a JLU Sport. I once configured a Wrangler to add as many options as possible, without changing the transfer case ratio, brakes or suspension. The intent was to show how much more expensive I could make my particular Jeep when loaded with disposable add-ons (heated seats, upgraded sound system, etc.) The variance was just ridiculous. It plainly illustrated how well the OEMs manage to market various options as significant profit centers.

The thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is the “auto park” system if you have the door open and you try and drive.
With the same concern in mind, I added this item. It fools the software, as intended.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Love this thread! I had a 2012 Wrangler and have been without for 5 years and likely jumping back in with a 2022. Just yesterday I read a thread about engines and it changed my mind to go with the turbo 4. I'd been hesitant because of the ESS but now I know there's a way to disable that if it bugs me! Also the auto park ... that would have shocked me too!

I'm also planning on the upgraded Alpine speakers but NOT the upgraded head unit. I can't justify spending 2k for a bigger screen. I don't need navigation with Apple Car Play. Has anyone else gone this route and any feedback on the smaller screen with the Alpine speakers?
I have the larger
Congrats on taking delivery.

I keep a spray squeegee on hand in the garage, since most drives require that I debug after arriving home. It's just how it is.

Love the 2.0T in my JLU, too. My average fuel mileage in mixed driving is 27.x mpg. I've used Premium fuel since Day 1, although doing so isn't compulsory.

I too have a JLU Sport. I once configured a Wrangler to add as many options as possible, without changing the transfer case ratio, brakes or suspension. The intent was to show how much more expensive I could make my particular Jeep when loaded with disposable add-ons (heated seats, upgraded sound system, etc.) The variance was just ridiculous. It plainly illustrated how well the OEMs manage to market various options as significant profit centers.

With the same concern in mind, I added this item. It fools the software, as intended.

That’s funny…I just ordered a 3” rigid one from the same company a couple hours ago! 😅

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
...I too have a JLU Sport. I once configured a Wrangler to add as many options as possible, without changing the transfer case ratio, brakes or suspension. The intent was to show how much more expensive I could make my particular Jeep when loaded with disposable add-ons (heated seats, upgraded sound system, etc.) The variance was just ridiculous. It plainly illustrated how well the OEMs manage to market various options as significant profit centers....
I have a '18 Sport S with the hardtop as the only other option - V6 6MT - and yeah, every time I go in and build a new 4-door with some extras I'd like, such as the upgraded stereo, LED lights, cold weather package, etc. the sticker price is easily in the mid-40s and I cannot fathom how I'd be happy paying 50% more for a new Jeep with some options than I paid for my leftover '18.

Have to say, the "S" package to me is totally worth it to get power locks/windows/mirrors and the leather steering wheel but to each their own. I think the only other option I really wish I had is the Cold Weather Package but I'm very happy having manual climate control and heard enough weird stories about the auto climate control that I'm glad to have avoided it.

Anyway, congrats OP! I'm with you - I love the Hellayella with the black fenders/hard top for contrast! Only mod I still have in mind is getting rid of the ugly aero pieces on the bumper.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Be advised when I ordered 15 weeks ago I had never driven or even sat in one.

> They need a bug repeller on the windshield. OMG, the bugs.

> It drives great. I was very worried from all the posts I had read. It will follow the road in certain instances, but so does my truck.

> The little Turbo that could. This thing is peppy AF. Currently averaging 26.3 mpg

> Haven't had it even long enough to wash and inspect it closely, but so far the only defect I've found is inadequate paint on top of one of the windshield hinges presenting as a purplish hue you dont really notice unless looking for it.

> The Freedom Tops are so easy and quick. Very impressed.

> ESS sucks. Tho it does start lightning fast.

> Tires were at 40 upon delivery. Deflated to 36 before I left dealer.

> All fuses and relays were seated properly.

> On my initial 5 hour drive heading home I did not find it uncomfortable at all.

> I miss not having a cup holder on the door.

> I absolutely adore the Hella/Black. Super bright yellow except at sunrise/sunset.

> A little buyers remorse on the manual locks until I look at my window sticker, then I'm good.

> I've gotten a lot of waves, smiles and thumbs up from non-Jeep drivers, including these two little buddies who think it's really "Cool"

20211004_212959.jpg
Congrats!

You can add power locks if you want. Most stereo shops can do that. Aftermarket locks are available but see if you can add the factory Mopar parts.

The windshield is flat and does get covered in bugs quickly. I use PPG Aquapel to treat the windshield. It's a water repellent like RainX but better. Much longer lasting. It makes cleaning the bugs a little easier. Be careful of rocks too. Wrangler windshields seem to attract rocks. VERY common to crack one.

shelglass

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Always have loved the yellow. I have the base also with 2.0 rides great!

Sponsored

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
"I think the only other option I really wish I had is the Cold Weather Package but I'm very happy having manual climate control and heard enough weird stories about the auto climate control that I'm glad to have avoided it."
Heated seats can be added easily - cost is around $600, last time I checked.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
While the aesthetic might not be to every owner's taste, heated seat pads and covers are available, beginning at <$30.00.

They work quite well. I purchased a heated seat cover for my Honda (where it matched the interior fabric pretty well) and was fairly impressed with the heat output. Offspring liked it so much that we bought one for her car.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
So, I did a thing today.
You will recall my JLU is a super stripper.

A couple months ago I purchased the Shadeidea Sunshade. It is still boxed up.

A couple weeks ago I purchased the Tazer Mini. It is still in the box.

Yesterday I purchased Nerf Bars, they just shipped.

Today, I ordered Hitch/Wiring, Seat Covers and a hitch Bike Rack.

Full LEDs and I should be all done. I'll have around $1500 in aftermarket parts total.

badgerridge719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I'm with you on the power locks/windows....windows I could care less about, locks would be sort of nice to have but NOT at the 2k plus that Jeep wants for going up a trim level or two.

I was sure to test drive a base Sport before I ordered mine. I should be okay without power locks. It will require a change in my routine. I am single with no kids and hardly ever use the back seat so the rear doors will stay locked most of the time.
Sponsored