New to me Bestop Supertop Ultra help.

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I was lucky to find a Supertop Ultra used and in very good, but dirty condition yesterday. I installed it this morning, and all seems good except where the top meets the back window area. I can't seem to get it to pull down where it should be (see pic). It seems like either the frame is too big, or the material is shrunk. What's strange is that everything else seems fine, so why only that one area? Any tips on what might be wrong?

I also need to clean this thing bad. Overall it's in like new condition, but dirty from being stored over winter I'm guessing.

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL New to me Bestop Supertop Ultra help. Bestop 1
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I am sure that others will respond.

I do not have a soft top yet. I have hear others comment about similar issues.

from responses received, Iā€™d recommend that you allow the top to set in the sun for a while and try to readjust. It may just be an issue with the top being rigid and not flexible to meet required shape.

good luck!!!!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I put my new top on a few weeks ago. I let it sit in the 80 degree sun a few hours. There is a Velcro piece that you attach to the window from the top. You really have to pull it down the first time to get it to stretch out. The instructions recommend to put the top into the sunrider position to allow the fabric to settle.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I was lucky to find a Supertop Ultra used and in very good, but dirty condition yesterday. I installed it this morning, and all seems good except where the top meets the back window area. I can't seem to get it to pull down where it should be (see pic). It seems like either the frame is too big, or the material is shrunk. What's strange is that everything else seems fine, so why only that one area? Any tips on what might be wrong?

I also need to clean this thing bad. Overall it's in like new condition, but dirty from being stored over winter I'm guessing.

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL New to me Bestop Supertop Ultra help. Bestop 1
Give it some time to relax. Then try folding it up as if youā€™re trying to turn it inside out. Then try ā€œrollingā€ it back into place pulling down as you go.
Mine usually fits better after it warms up

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Thanks for the replies. I've tried everything suggested so far except warming it up in the sun. Not much sun today, and only 70 degrees. Thanks Wisconsin!

I will give it some time and try to pull that back part down. It's not going down any farther now, and I'm not a small, weak person. Short of pulling the material to the point of tearing, it's not moving any farther for now...

Sponsored

WildCatJeep21

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I installed mine this past weekend. I had the fabric strip twisted on the back upper corner on one side and it looked very similar to this. This strip has two screws on the back corner and two up by the back seat. Was able to take the window in and out, but didnā€™t look right. After taking the fabric screws out, correcting the lay of the fabric and putting the screws back in, it all laid flat as expected.

Since it was new to you, if you didnā€™t assemble the top, Bestop had a great YouTube install video that helped make more sense and might show how those fabric screws are supposed to look.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Thank you. I started to look things over. I'm convinced something is wrong. I will try to figure out what you are talking about exactly. I've watched the install video a few times now.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
This is the problem, isn't it?? I'm trying to figure this out now.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to me Bestop Supertop Ultra help. 20210623_172636

WildCatJeep21

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah. That doesnā€™t look right at all. It is that piece of fabric but it should go over the top of that whole assembly connecting to the back cross beam (on top at the very end of the cross beam). The whole flap that is sagging should sit flat against the roof. Assuming they didnā€™t have a massive redesign.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Thanks! That was it. I had to take the back apart a bit, but it's assembled correctly now. Looks and sits normal now. Glad that's figured out! I am now missing 2 screws, but I will find replacements.
Sponsored