Sponsored

New (to me) 2018 making low speed clunking.

mike-srt4

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Just bought a used 2018 unlimited sport. It had 13k miles, already had mopar lift and wheels installed. Keep hearing a metal clunking, clanking (metal) sound from what I think is the rear end whenever i go over bumps at low speed. Still has remainder of 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. Took it back to delaer (chevy, where i bought it) and they said its normal for a lifted jeep. So today i made an appointment at a jeep dealer to hopefully diagnose/fix the clunking sound. When they ran the VIN I was also told there is an open steering damper recall and the jeep had 4 free oil changes and tire rotations that were never used, but expire on 11/1, so at least i will get that done at no charge. Any ideas on the clunking? It has the mopar lift woth fox shocks, JT adjustable front track bar and swaybar end link extensions, running on 35x12.50x20 nitto ridge grapplers and fuel wheels. I crawled under and cant find anything loose, hopefully the dealer can find the cause becuase it is driving me crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL New (to me) 2018 making low speed clunking. 20200928_180413

Jeep Wrangler JL New (to me) 2018 making low speed clunking. 20200928_171441
Sponsored

OP
OP
mike-srt4

mike-srt4

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I read that post before posting, dont think it is an axel issue. Thinking something on lift might be loose? Sound like a suspension issue to me. Have to wait and see i guess. Just hoping I dont get the run around from the dealer.
are you sure? do you have the LSD? because the oem LSD doesnt seem to be able to handle heavy wheels/tires very well. The mopar lift is just coils and shocks, you can go under the jeep and make sure the coils dont look bent and look like they sit correctly. If you think something might be lose check the shock bolts. if it is a suspension issue youd notice it in bumps, hard accel, etc. But if it is a constant clunk at low speeds it is most probably an issue with the differential.

Well now we know why the previous owner got rid of it. Can you check the jeeps history to see if they ever replaced the rear axle?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I read that post before posting, dont think it is an axel issue. Thinking something on lift might be loose? Sound like a suspension issue to me. Have to wait and see i guess. Just hoping I dont get the run around from the dealer.
Yeah, sorry I don't have any more insight than that thread. Just be firm with the dealer that it's an issue. They'll probably take care of you. It is under warranty after all.

In the meantime, check your storage cubby under the cargo area floor. There might be something in there that's knocking around while driving. Same with the footwells and under the rear seat bench - if there's an object rolling around it'll save you a lot of embarrassment and time to find it yourself.

Otherwise just make the dealer figure it out. It's their job.

Sponsored

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
You might look at the wedge on the tailgate and make sure its forward enough.
If there is any slop in there it can cause a thump because the gate has enough play in it to move up and down slightly when you hit a bump.
Just a thought, hope you figure it out.

brujbaur

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep 2018 rubicon
Just bought a used 2018 unlimited sport. It had 13k miles, already had mopar lift and wheels installed. Keep hearing a metal clunking, clanking (metal) sound from what I think is the rear end whenever i go over bumps at low speed. Still has remainder of 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. Took it back to delaer (chevy, where i bought it) and they said its normal for a lifted jeep. So today i made an appointment at a jeep dealer to hopefully diagnose/fix the clunking sound. When they ran the VIN I was also told there is an open steering damper recall and the jeep had 4 free oil changes and tire rotations that were never used, but expire on 11/1, so at least i will get that done at no charge. Any ideas on the clunking? It has the mopar lift woth fox shocks, JT adjustable front track bar and swaybar end link extensions, running on 35x12.50x20 nitto ridge grapplers and fuel wheels. I crawled under and cant find anything loose, hopefully the dealer can find the cause becuase it is driving me crazy.

I have a 2018 Rubicon JL. rockkrawler suspension. repair shop says the front lower control arm bushings are shot and is ordering new ones. You might check those lower arms.
Sponsored