Sponsored

New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward?

OP
OP

busboybud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Totally normal as others have already said. I wouldn’t worry about it wearing out. The thing that wears out more is the window plastic, so just be careful when you store those in the vehicle or at home so that they’re laid out flat and not rubbing anything. The plastic windows can easily scratch and fog.

As for the rear view, I think Jeep probably figured that the rear tire blocks most of your rear view anyway, so it’s free real estate up to a certain point.
Great tip. When I first took the plastic doors off I left them sort of folded but after a few hours I got nervous that might not be wise and laid them neatly flat on top of each other in the garage and that seemed safe enough.

Also, welcome to the addiction, er... uh... I mean to the party.
Hahah thanks! Glad I finally pulled the trigger. So is my wife, now she doesn't have to listen to me day dream about owning a wrangler.

^ This.

VELCRO Brand - All Purpose Straps - 36" x 2" All Purpose Strap, 2 Ct. - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00575600W/

Notice it is below my tire/brake light.
Awesome, thanks for the pictures. I'm still learning some of the body terminology so it really helps to see an example. Ordering these straps.

I really appreciate all the tips and tricks all. Prevents me from potentially learning the hard way.
Sponsored

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I bought a set of custom length bungee cords that clip into the anchor points in the luggage compartment from BJD Customs, several hues available if you want to color coordinate your ensemble :)

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? Bungee

I also have their soft top window storage bag and really like it, it has 3, felt lined compartments inside and hangs easily on the garage wall when the windows aren't coming along for the ride.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? Window Ba

OP
OP

busboybud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I bought a set of custom length bungee cords that clip into the anchor points in the luggage compartment from BJD Customs, several hues available if you want to color coordinate your ensemble :)
Oh very cool. Do you feel like that helps reduce the top bouncing in the back, or is the purpose primarily to increase rear view?

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
A little hard to see but I use 24 inch bungee cords and secure to one of the cargo rings.
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? both5

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
I can't get over how much I hate the look of JL soft tops! I get it's much easier up and down but the safari look is ugly, the rods and other crud when it's down are so sloppy looking to me. And it blocks the view. That's a lot of issues to me.
Don't get me wrong I ripped a zipper in my jk in the first week I owned it but I'm passing up a soft top this time. Getting the top lift pro instead until a waterproof and retractable bikini top ever gets made.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
@busboybud I run with my top down all the time...it should be easy to lock the sides. Bouncing, yeah it does a little. The velcro straps help, but I don't really use them. My dealer showed me to put them on the side supports near the mechanism. You can removed the top entirely. The owner's manual shows you in the 4 door section...not sure why it wasn't mentioned for the 2 door but the process is the same. You slide out the bars as you said, and unbolt the sides with your toolkit.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I can't get over how much I hate the look of JL soft tops! I get it's much easier up and down but the safari look is ugly, the rods and other crud when it's down are so sloppy looking to me. And it blocks the view. That's a lot of issues to me.
Don't get me wrong I ripped a zipper in my jk in the first week I owned it but I'm passing up a soft top this time. Getting the top lift pro instead until a waterproof and retractable bikini top ever gets made.
To each their own, I love the look of the Safari top. I just wish I could operate it from the driver's seat like the JK sunriders.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Oh very cool. Do you feel like that helps reduce the top bouncing in the back, or is the purpose primarily to increase rear view?
Yes, the bungees significantly reduce the bounce. They only marginally compress the whole top mechanism, so no discernable increase in the size of the rear view.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I couldn’t disagree more. Premium top looks fantastic. To each is own… I mean, some people think the 4dr looks good. 🥷 (I kid. Sorta.) It’s great to have so many options, though!

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
JtopsUSA has a nice full wrap. I bought one and we use it all the time.
I hated going weeks with the top down on dusty trails, then pulling it up and getting a mess of dirt and crap.

I'm also hoping this will help the top last longer. Less sun and weather.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? {filename}

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Great tip. When I first took the plastic doors off I left them sort of folded but after a few hours I got nervous that might not be wise and laid them neatly flat on top of each other in the garage and that seemed safe enough.

Hahah thanks! Glad I finally pulled the trigger. So is my wife, now she doesn't have to listen to me day dream about owning a wrangler.

Awesome, thanks for the pictures. I'm still learning some of the body terminology so it really helps to see an example. Ordering these straps.

I really appreciate all the tips and tricks all. Prevents me from potentially learning the hard way.
Word of warning - Never lay two windows directly on top of one another. If it gets hot they will stick together and get ruined. I used to just use a harbor freight moving blanket between them before I picked up the Mopar bag used for cheap

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I use one or two lashing straps wrapped around the top and down through the tie-down loops in the cargo area. Similar idea to the BJD Customs bungee. You can get a pair for like $7 at the home depot.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 1630011640650

JL_Confidential

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gecko Willys Sport 2-door
Occupation
I'd tell you, but you know the rest....
I have a 2–door and I do this with the included Velcro straps when the top is down. 80 on the interstate with no issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 1C5AB598-0BCC-4C24-8F73-DF2A0783C47F

I also bought some Velcro straps to silence the rear seat belts from flapping when the top is down.
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 1E1AFB9F-EFFA-41A2-8EE3-AB24F62DE298
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 51E748BF-58B0-4804-A5D1-87FD41EAD9C1

JL_Confidential

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gecko Willys Sport 2-door
Occupation
I'd tell you, but you know the rest....
JtopsUSA has a nice full wrap. I bought one and we use it all the time.
I hated going weeks with the top down on dusty trails, then pulling it up and getting a mess of dirt and crap.

I'm also hoping this will help the top last longer. Less sun and weather.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? {filename}
Too bad they don’t make one for the 2-door.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I bought some eye-bolts & put them in the open screw hole for the hard top. I tie the top down to that like shown below. No bounce & it gets as low as possible, with the top just a shade lower than the middle brake light.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? IMG_0710
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? IMG_0711
Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? IMG_0518[8062]
Sponsored