Sponsored

New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward?

busboybud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I just recently bit the bullet and got a Wrangler Sport 2D 2021. I went Soft Top because growing up my friend and I always took the soft top off and went off-roading. This was over a decade ago. When I got the Soft Top they showed me how it isn't completely removed anymore and you just lower into the down/locked position. This seemed fine in the demonstration, but in practice I feel like I'm doing something wrong... the soft top sticks out about a foot and somewhat impedes my rear view. I've seen others mention this, but what I'm more worried about is how much it bounces around and I'm afraid the rods bouncing up and down are going to quickly wear away at the plastic holding them in place.. I've attempted to remove it all together but all I found I was doing was removing the rods from the sliding mechanism and they would hang freely which seemed even less secure. It's also pretty noisy. I've watched a number of videos and reviewed the manual and I don't feel like I missed any steps in the process.

I suppose my question is as a newbie, am I doing something wrong? Is this how the 2Door soft top works these days? Are there alternative soft tops that could remedy this? Looking on the forum I've read discussion over different soft top brands and admittedly it was a little over my head. I'm just a little shocked by this design.
Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I got some Velcro compression straps about 5 inches wide and I use three of them to “tighten“ the top.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I don't have a 2-door, but my 4-door does the same things. The soft top sticks up pretty high when folded, just kinda the way it is. As for the bouncing, the part pictured below has the little lever you can see that is supposed to "lock" the soft top when it is folded back and prevent bouncing. However, I have never been able to get mine to "lock". I have tried it with the tailgate open and closed but it just doesn't seem to go down far enough to lock. I just use two velcro straps to hold the folded top to the sport bar.

Also, completely removing the top has another step. Once you remove the rods from the sliding mechanism to where they hang freely, you also have to unbolt the same mechanism pictured below from the sport bar. I believe each side has 3 bolts. If you try this be careful though as that thing is under pretty strong tension and will rotate to its other position rather forcefully.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 1629981878445

Last edited:

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
OP
OP

busboybud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Wow, thanks for the responses, very helpful. It is a relief to know it isn't just me doing something catastrophically wrong.
Those that mentioned Velcro straps, do you have any links to recommendations? Also, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd be interested to see a picture of how you've velcroed the top to be more stable/secure.

Also, completely removing the top has another step. Once you remove the rods from the sliding mechanism to where they hang freely, you also have to unbolt the same mechanism pictured below from the sport bar. I believe each side has 3 bolts. If you try this be careful though as that thing is under pretty strong tension and will rotate to its other position rather forcefully.
I see, I appreciate the warning. I haven't yet summoned the courage to bust out the bolt kit, but I may give this a shot in the future if it could help with the bouncing.

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Wow, thanks for the responses, very helpful. It is a relief to know it isn't just me doing something catastrophically wrong.
Those that mentioned Velcro straps, do you have any links to recommendations?
Velcro straps are in the glove box (should be anyways) If they are not there, your dealer should give you a set at no cost as it's standard for softops.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Those that mentioned Velcro straps, do you have any links to recommendations? Also, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd be interested to see a picture of how you've velcroed the top to be more stable/secure.

I see, I appreciate the warning. I haven't yet summoned the courage to bust out the bolt kit, but I may give this a shot in the future if it could help with the bouncing.
I got these. I tend to add the lower bar from the back window back in place, and wrap a strap around the top and the bar. Keeps it securely in place.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
This is from SEMA, as you can see this is normal

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Jeeps - Soft Top Down on 2Door feels Awkward? 1629986933422

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have the soft top on my 4 door and I usually drive in “safari mode” with the sunrider open if I need my rear view more visible. I wish it folded down better but I appreciate the ease of use to the point I am willing to give up a little.

Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Totally normal as others have already said. I wouldn’t worry about it wearing out. The thing that wears out more is the window plastic, so just be careful when you store those in the vehicle or at home so that they’re laid out flat and not rubbing anything. The plastic windows can easily scratch and fog.

As for the rear view, I think Jeep probably figured that the rear tire blocks most of your rear view anyway, so it’s free real estate up to a certain point.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Also, welcome to the addiction, er... uh... I mean to the party.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I got some Velcro compression straps about 5 inches wide and I use three of them to “tighten“ the top.
^ This.

VELCRO Brand - All Purpose Straps - 36" x 2" All Purpose Strap, 2 Ct. - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00575600W/

Notice it is below my tire/brake light.

The red Velcro is there to keep the seatbelts from flapping.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I got these. I tend to add the lower bar from the back window back in place, and wrap a strap around the top and the bar. Keeps it securely in place.
Personally, I don’t do that. Just velcroing around the top keeps it snug enough. It needs some room to move, especially off road where you’re bouncing and flexing. My $0.02.
Sponsored