Sponsored

New to Jeeping, with a 2021 Rubicon Diesel and questions as to lifts, etc.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Entropy, you win. Your 2 door will go over stuff easier than my four door due to its size. My goal with the 35's and the small lift was to keep up with the stock two doors without banging on the rocks. Now I can go where they go and maybe a couple of places they would drag on. Rocks are very unforgiving and I'm out there having fun, not beating the total crap out of my vehicle. Check out some of the youtube videos, that's not the kind of rock crawling I want to do.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Going 4 to 6 inch lift is a lot. My service advisor said up to 3.5 inch is fine. Anything higher than that could impact your warranty. You are changing a lot of stuff when you go that tall. I personally am going to get the Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5 lift. Unless you are planning on going bigger than 40 inch tires that is really good enough. From what little I know making huge changes like new gears, axles, FAD delete and so on will pretty much kill the warranty. But hey, it's your jeep.
the stuff that you mention may kill the warranty on certain items but, let’s be clear, none of that is going to invalidate the warranty on the “power windows” or ”air conditioner” or “battery’ or........ anything that is unrelated to the mod. The more mods on the drive train, the more sources of contention with the dealer/FCA over the cause of a drive train issue (mod or not?). That’s certainly true. But if the air conditioner dies, that will be covered under warranty regardless.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
When I bought my first Jeep Wrangler (2005 TJ), I did not lift it right away. That gave me a chance to get used to the capabilities and limitations of a stock Jeep, and the difference between an easy, moderate, and extreme trail. My first two mods were 1) larger tires, and 2) an engine oil pan skid plate. I went with a group and took it on easy trails in Arizona like Four Peaks, Bulldog Canyon, Back way to Crown King, Box Canyon and Copperopolis.

About a year later, I installed a 2" suspension lift, and about a year after that, I installed selectable lockers before I took it on the Rubicon Trail.

I just took delivery of a 2021 JLURD. I plan to install the Mopar lift; my dealer says that the kit for the diesel is "under development" and is not expected to be available until February 2021. I can wait for it.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I put a 2.5” lift on my ’20 JLURD. It is an AEV spacer lift. That let me put 37” on AEV wheels. Since I didn’t change springs, it rides the same as factory. I have wheeled it at Uwharrie. The Jeep out performed the driver. In other words, I was freaked out and it just pulled right through. For the AEV spacer lift, it is cheap enough to use until the aftermarket figures out the diesel spring rates.

I’m curious, what axle ratio did you gut on you JLURD?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
A 2” lift with 35’s will go a LOT of places. A 5 or 6 inch lift is pretty extreme. For someone new to Jeeps i would STRONGLY suggest running stock to start with. If thats not getting throb done, try the factory lift when it comes out and larger tires. There are lots of Jeeps out there who daily driver capabilities have been severely impacted in pursuit of a “look”. A new Jeep is a lot of $$. Think and learn as you go. You can always add extra goodies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeXE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon, Diesel
Occupation
military . . .
When I bought my first Jeep Wrangler (2005 TJ), I did not lift it right away. That gave me a chance to get used to the capabilities and limitations of a stock Jeep, and the difference between an easy, moderate, and extreme trail. My first two mods were 1) larger tires, and 2) an engine oil pan skid plate. I went with a group and took it on easy trails in Arizona like Four Peaks, Bulldog Canyon, Back way to Crown King, Box Canyon and Copperopolis.

About a year later, I installed a 2" suspension lift, and about a year after that, I installed selectable lockers before I took it on the Rubicon Trail.

I just took delivery of a 2021 JLURD. I plan to install the Mopar lift; my dealer says that the kit for the diesel is "under development" and is not expected to be available until February 2021. I can wait for it.
Excellent feedback, thank you--and you're naming trails I'm familiarizing myself with., and good to know that a stock version will do these great--and to have an est time frame for when the Mopar lift kit is hoped to come in. I just checked the status of my build--got a VIN number, in prepreduction. Trying to soak up as much awareness/learning now--good jeep groups (?) etc.

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Entropy, you win. Your 2 door will go over stuff easier than my four door due to its size. My goal with the 35's and the small lift was to keep up with the stock two doors without banging on the rocks. Now I can go where they go and maybe a couple of places they would drag on. Rocks are very unforgiving and I'm out there having fun, not beating the total crap out of my vehicle. Check out some of the youtube videos, that's not the kind of rock crawling I want to do.
Could I ask you what is the total height at rooftop of your Rubi with 2" lift and 35s? I'm ordering a 21 JLURD and wondering if 2" lift and 35s will still fit in my garage. Thx!

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Learn how to drive it first. Know what it can do and what you would like to change after some trails. To mod right out of the box, not for me. I went on 2-3 Jeep trails before changing anything. If you want to mod right off the bat, get good skid plates and go for it. The Rubi can do more than you think all stock.
If your dealer is not recommending a lift, don't do it. Wait and learn your new JL. Many have put on the Mopar 2"lift from the 3.6 and it works. It will be softer than a 3.0 specific made kit. I have run the stock 3.0 springs on my 3.6. They are firm, and lift aout 1" over the stock soft 3.6 springs.

OP
OP

MikeXE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
military . . .
I'm glad for all the replies, and help. I've never jeeped before, and know theres a lot I don't know. Between those here on this forum (best advise I've received), went to Desert Rats in Az (great people), and another Jeeo dealership who gave me consistent advice with those here: I have a 2021 JLURD ordered, hooed for in the next 5 ish weeks (VIN created, in pre production). Will have 33 inch tires (?), reading all here I'm hoping to put on 35 or 37 inch tires before I leave the dealershio with this purchase; if the dealership can find either the mopar jpp lift kit (part #: 77072399AE), or can use a Gladiator Rubicon diesel lift, I'll have the dealerahip do a 2 inch lift and either 35 or 37 inch tires (no larger than that). If the dealership can't/won't do the lift work than Desert Rats came highly recommended to do lift work--will review recommendations here for JLURD lifts. I understand the mopar steal bumpers I'm getting have removable ends in front of the tires, I see the value to remove those to get more clearance. Sarge Green, body color hard top and fenders, leather seating, all the factory add ons-and hyped to learn more. Now looking for a good Phoenix area jeep group to join and learn from, go places with (any recommended?). And thx to this forum I dispelled the bad information the selling jeep company shoved about violating warranties if anyone else did the lift work. This is my post military deployments therapy--to get out.

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I'm glad for all the replies, and help. I've never jeeped before, and know theres a lot I don't know. Between those here on this forum (best advise I've received), went to Desert Rats in Az (great people), and another Jeeo dealership who gave me consistent advice with those here: I have a 2021 JLURD ordered, hooed for in the next 5 ish weeks (VIN created, in pre production). Will have 33 inch tires (?), reading all here I'm hoping to put on 35 or 37 inch tires before I leave the dealershio with this purchase; if the dealership can find either the mopar jpp lift kit (part #: 77072399AE), or can use a Gladiator Rubicon diesel lift, I'll have the dealerahip do a 2 inch lift and either 35 or 37 inch tires (no larger than that). If the dealership can't/won't do the lift work than Desert Rats came highly recommended to do lift work--will review recommendations here for JLURD lifts. I understand the mopar steal bumpers I'm getting have removable ends in front of the tires, I see the value to remove those to get more clearance. Sarge Green, body color hard top and fenders, leather seating, all the factory add ons-and hyped to learn more. Now looking for a good Phoenix area jeep group to join and learn from, go places with (any recommended?). And thx to this forum I dispelled the bad information the selling jeep company shoved about violating warranties if anyone else did the lift work. This is my post military deployments therapy--to get out.
In case you haven’t seen him, lookup Casey 250 on YouTube. He has a diesel Rubicon and lots of videos including suspension stuff early in the diesel days figuring out the extra weight thing

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Thank you for your service. I hope you have many years of fun with your new toy. Enjoy the country you helped defend!

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to Jeeping--I really don't have any experience, that's why I'm asking--

but to be told by a Dealer that there is no way to lift a 21' Rubi Diesel without violating the warranty, because there isn't a specific lift available for the Diesel Rubi seems to run against what I'm reading on the forums that there are lifts, that work well, and I might likely find another dealership that will accommodate. Unfortunate that there is difficultly finding the JPP Wrangler Lift Kit (part # 77072399AE) which seemed warranty safe jeep branded specific.

Not knowing better--but 4-6 inches lift would help to go over some of the areas I've seen hiking, at least to compensate/help with the learning curve I'll be on as I push what I can do over stuff.
Something to remember when you're figuring our your build, you will get ground clearance from 2 different things. First your lift will certainly get you an increase in clearance, but it will be at the frame. Very helpful for sure but something to keep in mind is it won't be at the axle and the lowest hanging parts, the pumpkins and the lower shock mounts. In fact, many if not most of the lift kits for the JL will get you more of an increase than the stated size, although this depends on loading and with the Diesel, not sure if you'll see that higher than stated lift measurements.

Perhaps even more importantly, you will also get an increase from your tire size as that will raise everything off the ground roughly 1/2 of the increase in size. I assume the Diesel will come with 33s on it so simply by going to 35s, you'll gain a full inch from increasing the tire size. For many people, the lifts most important function is to keep full articulation of their chosen tire size so that's the size they lift for.

Any way you go, the JLUR is a highly capable beast in its own right so I wouldn't be too heavy-handed thinking you need big mods. I'm headed to Sedona hopefully end of the month for some wheeling and I'll be going pretty much stock, I just up-armored with steel all around :)

Good luck deciding where you wanna go!

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
first of all, welcome to the forum and congrats on your amazing order! You are going to be blown away because the diesel is amazing!

Funny thing.. I live in AZ, me too had never owned a Jeep (had a heavily modified 4Runner that I learned wheeling in) and ordered my first 2021 Jeep in Sarge geen rubicon diesel! I picked mine up last week, in love with It!

from what I gathered reading the forum so far, any rubicon is basically 1” or so lift, then the diesel rubicon apparently adds another 1” or so.. my numbers are off but I read something like that.. the dealership told me I could pretty much run 37” with a little spacer..

either way, 4.5” is as extreme as you should go or think of going.. and 4.5” will probably look weird. I would drive it stock first before doing anything to it!

let’s just put it this way.. stock rubicon diesel will probably finish 90% of the trails in MOAB! My built 4Runner couldn’t do that.. and I was so proud of my built 4Runner lol so this should give you an idea as to what you will be able to do stock!

OP
OP

MikeXE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
military . . .
Thank you for your service. I hope you have many years of fun with your new toy. Enjoy the country you helped defend!
This becomes therapy for me, getting out, away from the noise that fills my head (Afghanistan, etc). And love being able to learn and get good feedback here--strong community.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
This becomes therapy for me, getting out, away from the noise that fills my head (Afghanistan, etc). And love being able to learn and get good feedback here--strong community.
I fully understand the "noise" that can be in our heads. Being a Vietnam veteran some sounds bring back memories I would rather not have. My first jeep was a 1973 CJ5. Really never did anything much with it other than run it. Fast forward to today. My 2020 diesel Rubicon to me is a wonder. Unlike some people, my budget is not endless. One step at a time. First the Rock Slide Engineering slider so my wife can get in. Next was the MC underarmor and LCA, FAD skids. My idea is to protect the underbelly first. When the budget allows, probably early next year, the lift, followed by bumpers and winch. Actually the last thing most likely will be the 37 inch tires.
Overall the entire build will take about a year and an half from purchase to completion. But honestly I am not in a huge hurry. I waited almost 10 years for the diesel.
Now if the never ending summer or covid19 will end some of us can get together and enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Sponsored