Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Ok T Willys.......I think you need to ask yourself how much money you want to spend to get that "off road peace of mind" when you have mentioned twice you use your jeep mostly to commute and highway driving. This is going to be about trade offs. You can jack it up and put 35" or 37" tires on but that is going to really change your highway driving. I put 33's on and noticed a little difference is breaking and a slight drop in MPG. We drive mostly roads but I wanted a more aggressive look and a tire for the beach. Go to Tires/Wheels/Brakes and there will be days of reading and pictures on bigger tires, wheels and lifts. From what you have written, it sounds like you want a little bigger more aggressive tire. You can get that with your stock wheel. Everyone is going to have an opinion on tires and it will be what they bought. The trade off on a true mud tire is it will be louder on the road, maybe an aggressive A/T will work. I think Jeep/Mopar still might be running their tire sale. Great deal on all the popular tires. If you want the tires to stick out a little, you will have to use wheel spacers (not recommended by Jeep) or go with a wheel that has a different back spacing and/or offset. Again, explained in detail in Tires/Wheels/Brakes. Now soft top.......to me, being able to let that top down is a major jeep thing! There is nothing better than riding around with the top down but you might want to get some type of sun shade unless you are a true sun worshiper.

Unless you want a serious off road jeep or that look, I would look at a 33" more aggressive tire, no lift and put that money toward a soft top. Then go enjoy your jeep. However, the sky is the limit with these things! And don't forget to wave!
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Mostly Highway, go up one tire size and try Falken AT-W's you should do fine on almost all off road trails, except extreme challenge and extreme rock crawling. You were lucky you didn't get Bridgestone HT's on your Sahara as I did!! Although I averaged 22/23 mpg total on that tire for my first 3K til I changed to the Falken then it dropped a couple mpg's. The Falken's are great off road!

Otherwise once you star get your checkbook or charge card ready!! lol Hve fun!

Go jeep!!!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@T_Willys I have a Sahara, and with regards to the wheels and lift, this is what I went thru.

Stock:
Delivery_Side.jpeg

33s on 17" Wheels (KO2s 285/70/17):
33s.jpeg

2" Spacer lift added (and shock extensions):
33s_2inSpacers.jpeg

I commute, and drive across some uneven parking lots, and this does all that I need!

As others have advised, head on over to some of the sub forums:
Such as Tires, Wheels, Brakes: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/tires-wheels-brakes.15/

For example there is a whole thread on Saharas with 33s:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/33s-on-a-sport-sahara.3512/page-19#post-1087216

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport on AT 33s, no lift, and it did fine off-road and on road, with auto trans. I’m getting a 3” lift this week and not increasing tire size, or re-gearing. I want crazy articulation off-road on the 33s while disconnected; I cannot disconnect currently without rubbing.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
And by the way - I don’t care what others think about the “look” of 33s on a 3” lift ;). They will eat my dirt off-road.
Sponsored