First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
Is there any reason why a synthetic cable cannot replace a steel cable on a winch? On my '40 wrangler, I have an ancient winch with a steel cable, I have been wanting to replace - if you shop around you can find suitably strong synthetic cable for $100. All that said - I am looking to add a winch on my '20 Rubicon, and I am noticing that the synthetic cable winches are a good three to four hundred bucks more than the steel cable winches. Seems like I could save myself a few hundred bucks. I guess I would need to buy the appropriate fairlead, but... is this not something that makes sense? What am I missing?
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Is there any reason why a synthetic cable cannot replace a steel cable on a winch? On my '40 wrangler, I have an ancient winch with a steel cable, I have been wanting to replace - if you shop around you can find suitably strong synthetic cable for $100. All that said - I am looking to add a winch on my '20 Rubicon, and I am noticing that the synthetic cable winches are a good three to four hundred bucks more than the steel cable winches. Seems like I could save myself a few hundred bucks. I guess I would need to buy the appropriate fairlead, but... is this not something that makes sense? What am I missing?
there is no difference between the steel and synthetic winches besides the rope for models that sell both types, but that there are some things you need to keep an eye out when changing from steal to synthetic.

Steel cable is durable but will also cut up stuff it is touching, so any fairlead or snatch blocks you have used with steal should be discarded, check the condition of the drum with the cable off and remove any burs or sharp edged left by the steal cable you want a nice smooth finish that wont risk cutting up the synthetic rope.

The other thing to look out for is the drum brake style, many winches have the the drum brake internal to the drum and that can cause heat buildup and melt or degrade the synthetic rope, that is why many good brands like master pull have extra protection on the last wrap on their rope. If you have a winch with a brake on the sides of the winch then you should be ok

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
there is no difference between the steel and synthetic winches besides the rope for models that sell both types, but that there are some things you need to keep an eye out when changing from steal to synthetic.

Steel cable is durable but will also cut up stuff it is touching, so any fairlead or snatch blocks you have used with steal should be discarded, check the condition of the drum with the cable off and remove any burs or sharp edged left by the steal cable you want a nice smooth finish that wont risk cutting up the synthetic rope.

The other thing to look out for is the drum brake style, many winches have the the drum brake internal to the drum and that can cause heat buildup and melt or degrade the synthetic rope, that is why many good brands like master pull have extra protection on the last wrap on their rope. If you have a winch with a brake on the sides of the winch then you should be ok
Thanks - hadn't thought about the scoring on the drum. Good info. Appreciated.

Sponsored

Clubmud

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 3.6l. 2004 Dodge Quad 2500 Laramie 5.9l Cummins
And yes it is the new Gen3 winch.
Just got my XRC Gen3 and waiting for my Maximus 3 plate from Rubitrux. Curious where you spliced in or hooked up your running light wiring for the logo? The blue & white wire?

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
I installed the 12K Apex from Harbor Freight with a Maximus 3 winch plate. Somewhat of a tight fit but it's in there. I did shave the handle so I can turn it all the way. Spent time and made it nice and smooth. Got it on sale for I think $549 or something. Hard to beat the price for a water tight winch with synthetic rope, wireless remote, etc. I cut the filler piece that goes over the frame rails to give it a cleaner look. Overall I'm happy with it. I rarely pay for an extended warranty but in this case I did. Good for a couple years and even with the warranty and taxes I'm still only at $700 or so. I know they are good with honoring warranties and after seeing a few winches die on the trail, I figure it's worth it.

Frogger2.jpg

Winch4.jpg

Winch3.jpg

Winch2.jpg

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
Just got my XRC Gen3 and waiting for my Maximus 3 plate from Rubitrux. Curious where you spliced in or hooked up your running light wiring for the logo? The blue & white wire?
I didn’t.

Clubmud

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it does move the bumper out the thickness of the plate (approx. 3/8”). I was worried about the same thing before installing myself because I didn’t want to drill the rear skid plate holes to make it fit. However, I can tell you this is a non-issue! As part of the install, you actually loosen the lower frame brackets that the skid screws to. You simply leave them loose to line them up to where you need for the skid holes before tightening the brackets back. Just an FYI, Maximus-3 is not shipping right now (shut down due to c-19) but Rubitrux stocks their products. I got mine in one day from them and they were very helpful.

5EFFFC0D-DBAA-40C6-BA9B-8B877B968D79.jpeg
Yes, it does move the bumper out the thickness of the plate (approx. 3/8”). I was worried about the same thing before installing myself because I didn’t want to drill the rear skid plate holes to make it fit. However, I can tell you this is a non-issue! As part of the install, you actually loosen the lower frame brackets that the skid screws to. You simply leave them loose to line them up to where you need for the skid holes before tightening the brackets back. Just an FYI, Maximus-3 is not shipping right now (shut down due to c-19) but Rubitrux stocks their products. I got mine in one day from them and they were very helpful.

Jeep Wrangler JL New to jeeping looking for bumper/winch opinions 5EFFFC0D-DBAA-40C6-BA9B-8B877B968D79
Finally got it all installed. Maximus 3 plate from Rubitrux and a low mount license frame. Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 9500 Comp. Install went great. No issues with clearances or mods. All bolt up and wiring. I ended up putting in a fuse tap to my cigar lighter and stacked a 10 amp ATR micro for the logo light above the 20 amp cigar fuse. Runs off the Acc when it's turned on and doesn't turn off with the low beams on like if I'd have tied it into the lights.
Really happy with ease of the install. Just waiting for a backlogged Shackle instead of the hook.
Thank you folks for all your advice.
Jeep Wrangler JL New to jeeping looking for bumper/winch opinions 20200529_120458

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
eBay bumper less than 400
Of you can hold out till Xmas you can get the same Smittybilt like I did for under 400

IMG_20200604_163641.jpg

IMG_20200604_163632.jpg

Sponsored

Javikid

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
My 1st winch and bumper experience
Just ordered the Rugged Ridge 15100.08 Trekker Series Winch 10,000 lbs with Synthetic Rope and Wireless Remote for $467 and free shipping for a Venator with Overrider that I got for $695 free shipping. Do you guys think that's a good combo and did I get a great deal? Thks

Clubmud

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 1st winch and bumper experience
Just ordered the Rugged Ridge 15100.08 Trekker Series Winch 10,000 lbs with Synthetic Rope and Wireless Remote for $467 and free shipping for a Venator with Overrider that I got for $695 free shipping. Do you guys think that's a good combo and did I get a great deal? Thks
Winch has a 5 year warranty which is good. Looks like great prices for both from what I've seen. Afraid I don't know much about the aftermarket bumpers but it has a built in winch tray that'll support up to a 12,000lb.
Send some photos when your done. I'm pretty new to all this but sounds like a good deal to me.
Sponsored