Sponsored

New to Jeep - Steering Wheel to the Left?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I definitely wouldn’t know how to adjust it by myself. Is it something simple a blonde chick could do? Lol. Or should I suggest something to the dealer?
Just take it to the dealer. They will know what to do and it should be under warranty. My Jeep was out of alignment right from the factory (the toe). So I fixed that too. Maybe the dealer can check the alignment while they center the steering wheel.
Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Somethings wrong.
I have 8k on my JLU and could take my hands off the wheel and steady straight she goes.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Somethings wrong.
I have 8k on my JLU and could take my hands off the wheel and steady straight she goes.
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about the steering wheel not being centered and not alignment issues.

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about the steering wheel not being centered and not alignment issues.
Idk what the difference is. I mean I take my hands off the wheel and the car definitely veers. If I try to straighten the wheel it goes off to the right (since the wheel is tilted left). I have no idea, the car seems to be a little special. It also makes a chirping noise I posted about in another thread

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Idk what the difference is. I mean I take my hands off the wheel and the car definitely veers. If I try to straighten the wheel it goes off to the right (since the wheel is tilted left). I have no idea, the car seems to be a little special. It also makes a chirping noise I posted about in another thread
Ok, that's different than how I interpreted your post.

If you're on a flat road (not one with a crest in the middle) then that's an alignment issue. You'll need to take it in to have it aligned.

If, instead, it tracks relatively well but the steering wheel isn't centered then that's simple to fix without necessarily having to take it in to a shop.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was unaware that there is a pull as well as a crooked steering wheel…….that sounds like the toe is out, that should be a free fix from your dealership…….

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
I’m new to Jeep. Brand new stock order with less than 2k miles on it, and I’ve noticed my steering wheel sits slightly to the left in order to go straight. I’ve read that most Jeep steering wheels sit a little to the left, is that true? I find it quite annoying. Is this something I can/should take into the dealership to look at, or is this pretty much the norm?
The same thing happened to me. I picked my brand new Sahara up a few months ago with 16km on it. I noticed the exact same issue on mine and I felt deflated. It's a brand new car. I took it back to the dealer a couple days later and they fixed the alignment for free. It's part of your warranty.

I agree with the others about doing it yourself eventually but use the dealer this time and enjoy your new ride.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Try to find an alignment shop that is recommended by a local jeep club. The dealership has NEVER been able to align one of my Jeeps to track straight. The alignment shop that supports the local jeep store/lift place, dials it in every time. Tracks straight, no wobble at speed.

The dealership will be free, but the other shop will cost.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Idk what the difference is. I mean I take my hands off the wheel and the car definitely veers. If I try to straighten the wheel it goes off to the right (since the wheel is tilted left). I have no idea, the car seems to be a little special.
There isn't much to adjust but they can do toe and camber. Most likely the camber is OK but I'm thinking it has toe out in the front. Toe out will make any car wander while driving. It also will wear out and cup the front tires pretty quick. It still could be camber and they will see that and if needed to adjust, they should have the adjustment sleeves.

Once I put some toe in and tightened up my ball joints (the lower ones were loose), it drives like it should. Mine is a 2 door, thus it is not as stable as a 4 door when out on the highway.

On a side note, you really want the steering wheel to be straight as if it's off too far, you'll get a ABS/ESC warning light. This is because there is a steering angle sensor and it really wants to see 0 degrees (plus or minus 5) while you are driving down the highway.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It also makes a chirping noise I posted about in another thread
Mine chirped too. It was a heat shield rubbing on the exhaust. I put it on the hoist, and grabbed the exhaust and could replicate it. A pry bar and about 30 seconds fixed that problem.

My Jeep also clicked and that's because Jeep chose the wrong fasteners for the lower ball joints (why they use those tiny castle nuts is beyond me) so I fixed that too.

Now the top has a real annoying rattle in it. I need to have my son drive it while I can sit in the back and find where that's coming from.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
My steering wheel was not centered.That's a simple fix,but sounds like you need to have the alignment checked as well.If you trust your dealer,take it in.

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
Is it typical for the dealer to be a month out before they can take you in for service? Just went to look at the online scheduler and the first available appt is June 15th
Sponsored