Sponsored

New Tires: Open Country A/T III 285/75/17

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited willys
I had been debating for months what tires to pick to replace my OEM BFG's on my Rubicon. I wanted to go larger, but wasn't ready to do a lift yet, and as a daily driver wanted to stick to a lighter weight tire and avoid any rubbing that might occur off-road. After a ton of deliberation, I had narrowed down my options to the Nitto Ridge Grappler in load C or the Falken Wildpeak in load E as these were all available in a 285 75 R17 size. This should provide an extra inch of tire and half inch of ground clearance over the KO2s.

I was excited to see last week that Toyo had released their Open Country's in a new version, the AT3 and that it came in this size and with a C load rating. The dimensions are effectively the same as the Nitto's, but with a tire weight of 59lbs instead of 65lbs. They were also less expensive so this made the choice a lot easier. I got a set of five tires with mount/balance/disposal/alignment for $268/tire when it was all said and done from the dealership with their buy 3/get 1 sale.

It's too early to say about driving impressions, but overall I'm pleased. When I first saw my Jeep I thought the tires actually looked smaller until I pulled up next to a brand new rubicon and compared. The tires are clearly larger side-by-side and I measured the height to be a true 33", almost 1.5" more than the KOs (which had 30k on them). While they are both 285 in width, the manufacturer stats show 285/75s to be more narrow than 285/70s. I tried to measure the width of the tire lugs and found them to be near as makes no difference about 9" If anything, the Open Country's are wider than the KOs that I had replaced.

I'm liking the look of the OC AT3s, they have larger voids and feel a little more aggressive with the tread, though not as much in the sidewall. The sidewalls are ever so slightly different on each side and I chose to have the more 'aggressive' sidewall facing out, but it's barely noticeable. You can tell the difference because the sidewall 'lugs' have a minor sipe in them. I think these will work quite nicely until the next replacement when I will go larger.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
Great Jeep! I'm really liking this tire. Did you need to put on the spare relocation bracket?
Sponsored

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
Great Jeep! I'm really liking this tire. Did you need to put on the spare relocation bracket?
Nope, no issues at all. I've put a lot more miles on since originally posting this and I've done some decently difficult trails plus more driving in the rain. I'm still very pleased with these tires and will probably stick with the open country 3s when I go larger and lift in the future.

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited willys
Nope, no issues at all. I've put a lot more miles on since originally posting this and I've done some decently difficult trails plus more driving in the rain. I'm still very pleased with these tires and will probably stick with the open country 3s when I go larger and lift in the future.
That's great! Sounds awesome. Being new to Jeep mods, I am still learning the lesson how 1 Mod can affect and influence others. Would you recommend a wheel adapter for that full "untucked" look? Did you add any suspension spacers?

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a set of 5 of the Toyo Open County AT3... 35x12.5R17 "E" rated tomorrow. I was planning on getting a set of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers but according to several sources, there is a national shortage and it may be upwards of 3 months before they will be available. All reviews I have read on the new AT3's are very positive.

At first I wasn't sure if the tire looked aggressive enough, but the more I look at it, I have to say it looks as aggressive as the Ridge Grapplers.

Are the 35x12.5R12 ATIII's the tie that will fit on the Stock Rubicon Rim if I want to go to a 35"tire. I really want to keep my stock rims but go to a 35" and I like the ATIII tires

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
Are the 35x12.5R12 ATIII's the tie that will fit on the Stock Rubicon Rim if I want to go to a 35"tire. I really want to keep my stock rims but go to a 35" and I like the ATIII tires
If you like it, do it, but expect that you'll have some rubbing if you wheel it hard.

There are plenty of folks here running 35's with no lift on factory rubi wheels, but they all appear to rub off-road from when I've seen. Tires or wheel spacers can help, but an inner fender liner chop is probably key for avoiding rubbing when flexed.

I would also note that while you 'can' do this, the tire companies are generally recommending a wider wheel than the factory rubi one.

I think the 34's are a good in-between step vs needing supporting mods. Aside from not rubbing, I like that I'm putting less weight and stress on components (said as someone who has had DW on two prior jeeps).

Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
If you like it, do it, but expect that you'll have some rubbing if you wheel it hard.

There are plenty of folks here running 35's with no lift on factory rubi wheels, but they all appear to rub off-road from when I've seen. Tires or wheel spacers can help, but an inner fender liner chop is probably key for avoiding rubbing when flexed.

I would also note that while you 'can' do this, the tire companies are generally recommending a wider wheel than the factory rubi one.

I think the 34's are a good in-between step vs needing supporting mods. Aside from not rubbing, I like that I'm putting less weight and stress on components (said as someone who has had DW on two prior jeeps).

Ok I did email Toyo and they appear to make a 35x11.5R17LT 118Q C/6 that will work for the Factory rim.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I appreciate the review as I have been debating on these tires in the same size. I have a 2020 JLU Willys and have Rubicon fenders and springs to install. I’m waiting for my America Adventure fender chop LEDs to arrive and then I’ll get these tires installed on my factory MOAB wheels. Your pictures let me see how it will look once I get it all installed.

*Update*
I checked with the dealership and they quoted me $1,283 for five tires. This includes the mounting, balancing and tax. This is using their buy 3 get one for $1 special.

Then I stopped by Discount Tire and they priced matched it. Once I subtracted the tax and mounting fees, the tires were $215 each for the Toyo AT3’s 285/75/17 load range C. I ordered them since Discount Tire included lifetime balancing and rotations. I’m pretty stoked for that price. I’m hoping to sell my fairly new Firestone MT’s 32.1” for around $500.
I guess this weekend I’ll be installing those Rubicon springs.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I appreciate the review as I have been debating on these tires in the same size. I have a 2020 JLU Willys and have Rubicon fenders and springs to install. I’m waiting for my America Adventure fender chop LEDs to arrive and then I’ll get these tires installed on my factory MOAB wheels. Your pictures let me see how it will look once I get it all installed.

*Update*
I checked with the dealership and they quoted me $1,283 for five tires. This includes the mounting, balancing and tax. This is using their buy 3 get one for $1 special.

Then I stopped by Discount Tire and they priced matched it. Once I subtracted the tax and mounting fees, the tires were $215 each for the Toyo AT3’s 285/75/17 load range C. I ordered them since Discount Tire included lifetime balancing and rotations. I’m pretty stoked for that price. I’m hoping to sell my fairly new Firestone MT’s 32.1” for around $500.
Nice! Look forward to some pics and impressions once you get time w/ them.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’m seriously considering these tires in the 35/11.5/17 size. I’d love to read any more comments on them.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

*Update*

Discount Tire store or online?

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Any snow reviews yet? They dont look like they will be stellar in snow based on the lack of siping. But the compound might push them ahead in cold weather.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon