New Tires: Open Country A/T III 285/75/17

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
I had been debating for months what tires to pick to replace my OEM BFG's on my Rubicon. I wanted to go larger, but wasn't ready to do a lift yet, and as a daily driver wanted to stick to a lighter weight tire and avoid any rubbing that might occur off-road. After a ton of deliberation, I had narrowed down my options to the Nitto Ridge Grappler in load C or the Falken Wildpeak in load E as these were all available in a 285 75 R17 size. This should provide an extra inch of tire and half inch of ground clearance over the KO2s.

I was excited to see last week that Toyo had released their Open Country's in a new version, the AT3 and that it came in this size and with a C load rating. The dimensions are effectively the same as the Nitto's, but with a tire weight of 59lbs instead of 65lbs. They were also less expensive so this made the choice a lot easier. I got a set of five tires with mount/balance/disposal/alignment for $268/tire when it was all said and done from the dealership with their buy 3/get 1 sale.

It's too early to say about driving impressions, but overall I'm pleased. When I first saw my Jeep I thought the tires actually looked smaller until I pulled up next to a brand new rubicon and compared. The tires are clearly larger side-by-side and I measured the height to be a true 33", almost 1.5" more than the KOs (which had 30k on them). While they are both 285 in width, the manufacturer stats show 285/75s to be more narrow than 285/70s. I tried to measure the width of the tire lugs and found them to be near as makes no difference about 9" If anything, the Open Country's are wider than the KOs that I had replaced.

I'm liking the look of the OC AT3s, they have larger voids and feel a little more aggressive with the tread, though not as much in the sidewall. The sidewalls are ever so slightly different on each side and I chose to have the more 'aggressive' sidewall facing out, but it's barely noticeable. You can tell the difference because the sidewall 'lugs' have a minor sipe in them. I think these will work quite nicely until the next replacement when I will go larger.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice choice, have had Open Countrys on my T100 and they performed very well, and nice tread life too!

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I have been looking at these as well. Not a fan of the sidewall design, but that tread pattern looks like they did a great job on it.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Think I found my next tire! Was looking at Faulkner’s too, but don’t like the E rating. Thanks for posting. Can you keep us updated on how they do on wet roads? That is one of the things Toyo is highlighting.

Pipes

First Name
HP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, Jeep SRT
I’ve been running the new Open Country ATIII in 35x12.5r18 D rated for about 2 weeks now. It’s been raining here in the Bay Area a lot this last week and they have been stellar. The ride is also amazing. I like the more aggressive look over the ATII as well. My daughter was driving the Jeep the last 2 days not knowing I changed the tires from Nitto Trail Grapplers and she noticed it as well. She said it felt more secure in the rain. So far zero complaints from me. Very happy with them.

Also, I contacted Toyo about suggested air pressure calculations for the JLU and they said 34-35 psi all around. They designed this particular size and D rating for the Jeep. They also said both sidewalls were the same design.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I had been debating for months what tires to pick to replace my OEM BFG's on my Rubicon. I wanted to go larger, but wasn't ready to do a lift yet, and as a daily driver wanted to stick to a lighter weight tire and avoid any rubbing that might occur off-road. After a ton of deliberation, I had narrowed down my options to the Nitto Ridge Grappler in load C or the Falken Wildpeak in load E as these were all available in a 285 75 R17 size. This should provide an extra inch of tire and half inch of ground clearance over the KO2s.

I was excited to see last week that Toyo had released their Open Country's in a new version, the AT3 and that it came in this size and with a C load rating. The dimensions are effectively the same as the Nitto's, but with a tire weight of 59lbs instead of 65lbs. They were also less expensive so this made the choice a lot easier. I got a set of five tires with mount/balance/disposal/alignment for $268/tire when it was all said and done from the dealership with their buy 3/get 1 sale.

It's too early to say about driving impressions, but overall I'm pleased. When I first saw my Jeep I thought the tires actually looked smaller until I pulled up next to a brand new rubicon and compared. The tires are clearly larger side-by-side and I measured the height to be a true 33", almost 1.5" more than the KOs (which had 30k on them). While they are both 285 in width, the manufacturer stats show 285/75s to be more narrow than 285/70s. I tried to measure the width of the tire lugs and found them to be near as makes no difference about 9" If anything, the Open Country's are wider than the KOs that I had replaced.

I'm liking the look of the OC AT3s, they have larger voids and feel a little more aggressive with the tread, though not as much in the sidewall. The sidewalls are ever so slightly different on each side and I chose to have the more 'aggressive' sidewall facing out, but it's barely noticeable. You can tell the difference because the sidewall 'lugs' have a minor sipe in them. I think these will work quite nicely until the next replacement when I will go larger.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Tires: Open Country A/T III 285/75/17 IMG_0151

Any updates on that new ATlll? How about in the rain? Thanks!

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
I just saw this question the other day before I drove for about 45 minutes in the rain so I was paying more attention than usual. The short answer is that they feel very confident in the rain. No concerns about hydroplaning and I was driving about 65 and it was a fairly solid rain. I made a point to drive through larger puddles where I saw other cars pushing up a lot of water. I've also run into some light snow since they've been on and overall I remain very pleased with these tires.

I feel like they are quieter than the BFGs as well, but it could be my imagination. There is a lot more wind noise coming from my sunrider than there is road noise. I'm still happy with picking these size as a good compromise while this remains my daily driver.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that. I am still debating these over Duratracs, and also the 285/75 vs 315/70 . I have to say your tires look way bigger than the stock KO2's.

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
Thanks for that. I am still debating these over Duratracs, and also the 285/75 vs 315/70 . I have to say your tires look way bigger than the stock KO2's.
I spent a ton of time looking at the specs of 315/70s and 35's, the big factor for me was weight and concern about rubbing off-road. I occasionally want to go bigger, but am waiting to either do a 2" lift or swap out the fender liners,

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I spent a ton of time looking at the specs of 315/70s and 35's, the big factor for me was weight and concern about rubbing off-road. I occasionally want to go bigger, but am waiting to either do a 2" lift or swap out the fender liners,
Plus you got a killer deal! Was that a local place or mail order?.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a set of 5 of the Toyo Open County AT3... 35x12.5R17 "E" rated tomorrow. I was planning on getting a set of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers but according to several sources, there is a national shortage and it may be upwards of 3 months before they will be available. All reviews I have read on the new AT3's are very positive.

At first I wasn't sure if the tire looked aggressive enough, but the more I look at it, I have to say it looks as aggressive as the Ridge Grapplers.

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
Be sure to post some pic's when you get them. I think the OC is a good choice for a comparable tire at a lower weight.

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon

Beautiful. Wondering because I want this same size as well, did you recalibrate your speedometer for larger tire or leave it since it’s close to original size ? I’m wanting to keep mine close so I don’t have to use a tazer or flashcal or anything. Thanks

OP
OP

FourthJeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubucon
Beautiful. Wondering because I want this same size as well, did you recalibrate your speedometer for larger tire or leave it since it’s close to original size ? I’m wanting to keep mine close so I don’t have to use a tazer or flashcal or anything. Thanks
I think it's close enough that you can get by, in theory without a change you're spedometer has you speeding by 2mph at 60mph without recalibration. I actually just received and plugged in a mini tazer this last weekend to adjust tire size and TPMS warning. I wouldn't have bothered with the added expense but I also wanted the fog light drop-outs and 0-60 measurement to see before/after on this weeks project for muffler delete.
Sponsored