First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Cool! Nice job. Post up a pic showing the license plate!
Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I installed it. The brake light will mount under. I'm gonna post a picture in a bit. I have a smittybuilt license plate that came with my xrc rear bumper and using it without the third light. I went froma smitty built tire relocation bracket. I will say this thing is rock solid and looks very nice.

15544854963573718144505043184519.jpg

15544855318961441408594456985208.jpg
Interesting. So you are not going to use the teraflex 3rd brake light? or you are but upside down? Can't tell from the pics.

Brmbll007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara in Fire cracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. So you are not going to use the teraflex 3rd brake light? or you are but upside down? Can't tell from the pics.
I was messing with it. It will work upside down. Just have to get it on. Only thing is it will say Teraflex upside down but will work. I will post an update when on. My previous tire bracket rocked a little. I just went over railroad tracks and not a shimmy.

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Speaking from my own experience, I’m not buying anyone’s claims that an aftermarket tire carrier will support a 35 or larger tire without support. My current 35 inch tire/wheel combo weighs 98lbs. After one trip to the desert for four hours, my tailgate is twisted about 1/4 inch on the top left side and the tailgate is also sagging. The only other added weight was a smittybilt relocation bracket which weighs 11lbs.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
After one trip to the desert for four hours, my tailgate is twisted about 1/4 inch on the top left side and the tailgate is also sagging.
Yow!!!

We know this isn't the beat all, end all item. It is a perfect companion to the tailgate reinforcement kits that are bound to be on the way!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
Damn. Just what I think I need/want!! Can anyone confirm that the fore-aft adjustment of this tire carrier is sufficient to NOT require extending the Spare Tire Bump Stops on the tailgate? Assuming a 4.5" back space wheel (KMC XD FMJ137 and a 35 KM3 tire).

Thanks mucho!

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn. Just what I think I need/want!! Can anyone confirm that the fore-aft adjustment of this tire carrier is sufficient to NOT require extending the Spare Tire Bump Stops on the tailgate? Assuming a 4.5" back space wheel (KMC XD FMJ137 and a 35 KM3 tire).

Thanks mucho!
I have 17x9 Methods with 4.5" BS and there is plenty of adjustment to get the tire to suck up against the stock bumps.

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
I have 17x9 Methods with 4.5" BS and there is plenty of adjustment to get the tire to suck up against the stock bumps.
Sweet - thank you. I just ordered one. I put new wheels on last Friday, and I can tell the new tire/wheel combo puts a bit more stress on the tailgate due to the different offset moving the weight of the tire/wheel a bit farther from the tailgate. Also, I’m hoping the reclaim some viewing angle with the camera relocated.

Kbarakeh

First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Sweet - thank you. I just ordered one. I put new wheels on last Friday, and I can tell the new tire/wheel combo puts a bit more stress on the tailgate due to the different offset moving the weight of the tire/wheel a bit farther from the tailgate. Also, I’m hoping the reclaim some viewing angle with the camera relocated.
Please let me know if the camera angle is reclaimed , that is my current issue with my -44 method wheels on my stock carrier

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I finally got a chance to take a look at the differences in the camera mount between factory and new. At first I thought it was significantly longer, but by my 'calibrated eyeball', I'm not so sure. Attached is a photo of the rear view with new tire carrier and KMC FMJ137 wheels:
  • Wheel Size: 17x9
  • Bolt Pattern: 8x170
  • Backspace: 4.53
  • Offset: -12mm
I'm still very happy with the outcome, as the tire is tucked much closer to the body and lower into the Steel Bumper cutout for improved vision out the rear window.

ykXwdZbgT+qtEpZaD+CSOg.jpg

4A7KDc2+TOaRrvqFRR2nsg.jpg

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got a chance to take a look at the differences in the camera mount between factory and new. At first I thought it was significantly longer, but by my 'calibrated eyeball', I'm not so sure. Attached is a photo of the rear view with new tire carrier and KMC FMJ137 wheels:
  • Wheel Size: 17x9
  • Bolt Pattern: 8x170
  • Backspace: 4.53
  • Offset: -12mm
I'm still very happy with the outcome, as the tire is tucked much closer to the body and lower into the Steel Bumper cutout for improved vision out the rear window.

ykXwdZbgT+qtEpZaD+CSOg.jpg

4A7KDc2+TOaRrvqFRR2nsg.jpg
Same setup I have. Any issues with the tailgate sagging or rattling over large bumps?

Also, I see you have what I am assuming to be the Midland 6db antenna mounted behind the spare. How did you do that? I'm about to pull the trigger on a micro mobile setup and was contemplating antenna mounting options.

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I wrote up a description of my antenna mount and posted on May 19 in the GMRS thread. Sadly I didn't think to take photos of the actual bracket work in progress, but the Teraflex lends itself very nicely to my bracket.

One of the reasons for changing out the factory mount was to try and reduce the flexing that I thought I was experiencing after installing the new (different backspace) wheels, even with the extended bump stop mod.

And as far as tailgate sagging and rattling. [Note: I do have the factory reinforcement bracket.] None so far; and I would expect it be be less than with the factory carrier simply due to the tire being so much closer to the tailgate than it was with the factory mount. Also, because the spare tire just barely touches the bumper when the tailgate is closed, it should help absorb potential flex or sag as the system ages.... For now though I'm completely happy.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if this thing will work with an LED brake light ring? It is exactly what I am looking for but the first time I take it downtown that brake light will be gone. In looking at the weight, I am guessing that this is lighter than the stock tire carrier combined with any kind of relocation bracket out there.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Anyone know if this thing will work with an LED brake light ring? It is exactly what I am looking for but the first time I take it downtown that brake light will be gone. In looking at the weight, I am guessing that this is lighter than the stock tire carrier combined with any kind of relocation bracket out there.
It works with the one I got an eBay.