Sponsored

New Teraflex adjustable spare tire mounting kit

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I ordered it. Here is hoping it works with the steel bumper rear distance sensors. I think it is tight enough to the body that it should raise it fine but I know some of the relocation brackets had issues.
Sponsored

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Well, I ordered it. Here is hoping it works with the steel bumper rear distance sensors. I think it is tight enough to the body that it should raise it fine but I know some of the relocation brackets had issues.
I have the sensors, but on the plastic bumper, no problems on mine. I don’t have it at the highest position either.

Sponsored

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is a longshot but has anyone with steel bumpers and reverse sensors tried this thing with 37s (or even 35s) and if so did it interfere with the sensors?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is a longshot but has anyone with steel bumpers and reverse sensors tried this thing with 37s (or even 35s) and if so did it interfere with the sensors?
Steel bumpers, 35s, reverse sensors. Works perfectly for me.

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Mine came in today, will install this weekend and report back. I currently have all 3 of the mopar pieces (reinforcement, carrier adjuster, third brake light bracket) on the stock carrier with a 37/12.5/17 STT pro on a 17x9 -12mm offset wheel. This setup has worked pretty good for me for the last 8 months or so, but I'm noticing a little more movement on the uptravel (if that makes sense) when I hit bumps. Our roads out here are a notch above horrendous, so it's getting a workout. I'm hoping with the Teraflex piece, bringing the tire much closer to the gate will dramatically reduce the cantilever effect that I have going on now. If not, it's all going up for sale and I'm getting a complete steel carrier, lol.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are you on the highest setting or the middle one? Sorry for asking another question but trying to figure out if my 37s will set them off.
Middle hole. Perfect fit. I like that you have infinite adjustment in/out so that you can set how much tension you want against the tailgate bumpers without having to use homemade/DIY techniques to get it not to rattle around. The instructions claim that the highest hole is for 37s.

Sponsored

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Middle hole. Perfect fit. I like that you have infinite adjustment in/out so that you can set how much tension you want against the tailgate bumpers without having to use homemade/DIY techniques to get it not to rattle around. The instructions claim that the highest hole is for 37s.
Thanks, you have to figure that the top hole would raise a 37 enough to avoid the sensors too then. I will report back for future folks in the same spot!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, you have to figure that the top hole would raise a 37 enough to avoid the sensors too then. I will report back for future folks in the same spot!
The instructions say that the top hole accommodates 37.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The instructions say that the top hole accommodates 37.
Yeah, I have no question that it will fit. I was just worried that the park distance sensors will no longer work. Back in the early days of JL relocation brackets, there were several that fit but did not handle the sensors. The steel bumper with sensors was the most impacted.

That said, I think this will work with sensors on a 37 if it works with a 35 on the same bumper in the middle setting. The tire width is the same and raising it another 1.5 inches should handle the extra inch on the bottom arc of the tire. Even at 45 degrees the bottom edge of the tire shouldn’t change more than 1.5 inches vertically if my math is right.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, I have no question that it will fit. I was just worried that the park distance sensors will no longer work. Back in the early days of JL relocation brackets, there were several that fit but did not handle the sensors. The steel bumper with sensors was the most impacted.

That said, I think this will work with sensors on a 37 if it works with a 35 on the same bumper in the middle setting. The tire width is the same and raising it another 1.5 inches should handle the extra inch on the bottom arc of the tire. Even at 45 degrees the bottom edge of the tire shouldn’t change more than 1.5 inches vertically if my math is right.
I suppose it’s possible that there’d be an issue, but I don’t see how. The width of the tire/wheel combo is what could potentially cause an issue and not the overall diameter, right? My tires are 315 mm wide, a 12.5” tire is 317.5 mm. Since in/out is adjustable that’s insignificant. I ran it further out for a bit (maybe 3/8”) while getting adjustment dialed in with no sensor issues. So I presume and hope it’ll be a non issue for you. My 35 sat lower before adding the bracket, it rested fully on the bumper, and it didn’t cause issues then.

I love the carrier and it tends to be one of the first things that other JL owners have nothin my Jeep.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose it’s possible that there’d be an issue, but I don’t see how. The width of the tire/wheel combo is what could potentially cause an issue and not the overall diameter, right? My tires are 315 mm wide, a 12.5” tire is 317.5 mm. Since in/out is adjustable that’s insignificant. I ran it further out for a bit (maybe 3/8”) while getting adjustment dialed in with no sensor issues. So I presume and hope it’ll be a non issue for you. My 35 sat lower before adding the bracket, it rested fully on the bumper, and it didn’t cause issues then.

I love the carrier and it tends to be one of the first things that other JL owners have nothin my Jeep.
It’s a mix of distance out from the tailgate and height off the bumper. The steel bumper is more prone as with it the sensors are a bit higher with relation to the tire. I love the carrier and the fact that my tire will be in tighter again. Getting a few more inches of visibility out the back window will be nice too. With the current relocation bracket, it just looks sloppy.
Sponsored