2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
That looks really well designed. However, it also looks extremely heavy.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Pics? Did someone say pics????

TERAFLEX ALPHA HD ADJUSTABLE SPARE TIRE MOUNTING KIT FOR 5X5 WHEELS

Without the spare:
teraflex-alpha-tire-carrier-on-jl.jpg

With the spare:
teraflex-4838910-tire-carrier-installed-jl.jpg

We just installed one yesterday, currently editing the pics for a full install how-to.

It's is very well built, steel base with a high-zoot extruded aluminum center and comes in at 19lbs.

It even lets you install a 37" spare with the stock plastic bumper (as shown).

The 3rd brake light mount is quick and easy to remove to get access to the spare. They just need to offer a license plate mount to go with it.

I gotta say, with all the adjustability, the in-out, up-down and the 3rd brake light bracket.... it's a pretty slick unit.

Last edited:

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation

Sponsored

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Nice. I just ordered from Northridge. I'm going to take off the tire carrier portion of my Westin WJ2 bumper and just leave the bumper and add this kit.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Let me guess, with all that weight on the door hinge, next you’ll have to buy a tailgate reinforcement kit. And with all that extra stuff sagging on the rear springs, next you’ll need to beef up the suspensions.. and with new suspension comes new steering components.. And the cycle continues..

Do some of you just eventually find that there’s too way much weight that you don’t actually need on your rig?

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Let me guess, with all that weight on the door hinge, next you’ll have to buy a tailgate reinforcement kit. And with all that extra stuff sagging on the rear springs, next you’ll need to beef up the suspensions.. And the cycle continues..

Do some of you just eventually find that there’s too way much weight that you don’t actually need on your rig?
Unless you Overland and have your Jeep packed with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of gear, roof rack, rooftop tent, etc... you won't really have a problem. In order to put something on like this, you have to take something off. It weighs 19 pounds and maybe the stock one weighs, idk, 15 pounds. You only net a 4 pound difference. (Totally a guess). Even after all the mods I've made so far, I would say my NET weight gain is around 100 pounds on the rear springs. With that said, I had about 300 pounds or so hanging off the trailer hitch on my JK for years and didn't have a problem; factory Rubi springs.

KTM2.jpg

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Does this really reinforce the spare tire?
Let me guess, with all that weight on the door hinge, next you’ll have to buy a tailgate reinforcement kit. And with all that extra stuff sagging on the rear springs, next you’ll need to beef up the suspensions.. And the cycle continues..

@imapseudonym & @Arterius2 , Both of you bring up very valid points.

This is only a spare tire carrier. It does not stiffen up the tailgate hinges.

Knowing TeraFlex, they are probably working on a real trick (at least I hope) tailgate reinforcement kit that will be the perfect match for this. Their JK is a two piece system, you can just run the tire carrier or you can also add in the tailgate reinforcement kit.

If you are a Mall Crawler and just like to drive a lifted Jeep around town, this tire carrier will work just fine as is. If you spend a lot of time on rough surfaces, especially at speed (think gravel road driving), you'll want some sort of tailgate reinforcement and we can probably make a pretty safe bet that TeraFlex has one coming to compliment this piece.

@Arterius2, beefing up the suspension for all the extra accessories and gear we add on to our rigs is a concern. That's one of the arguments for a true coil suspension lift as opposed to just a puck kit.

:like:

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Quick Question (not sure If it has been confirmed) Does the Teraflex carrier work with Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit?

Pic's show without... Just didn't know if it works with.

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Quick Question (not sure If it has been confirmed) Does the Teraflex carrier work with Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit?

Pic's show without... Just didn't know if it works with.
I'm curious about this as well.

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
Yes it'll work with the Mopar reinforcement, but if you haven't already bought that I wouldn't waste the money.

Teraflex also released an updated statement this morning saying that it is only good for a 35 without reinforcement, and that really goes for any relocation kit that only involves the tire mount.

"
“…a 39” tire? Are you sure?”

Yes. We are confident that the Teraflex Alpha Tire Carrier for the JL/JLU is more than capable of supporting the weight of a 39” tire and a heavy off-road wheel. The wording used in the initial product release email, and on our website, might have been misinterpreted, and a lingering fact about the strength of the OEM tailgate remains. Here are some clarifications: The TeraFlex JL/JLU Alpha adjustable spare tire mount can support up to a 39” tire when the Alpha carrier is used in conjunction with tailgate reinforcement. Without reinforcement, we only recommend up to a 35” tire on the factory tailgate. We have all seen the damage that a heavy, oversized spare tire can cause to a stock JK tail gate, or on any vehicle without proper reinforcement. While the JL tail gates are designed to hold a larger, heavier tire than the JK, they still have their limits. Our official recommendation is no larger than 35” tires without proper tailgate reinforcement on the JL and JLU Wrangler."

Marcus

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation