Sponsored

New Suzuki Jimny proves Wranglers are overpriced (and Broncos, and Defenders, and everything else)

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport

(Make sure you read my last couple of sentences. I might have changed my opinion.)

2021 Jimny costs $20k. Base Wrangler is $29,725. From the video, here are the extras you get for an extra $9,750:
  • Push-button start
  • Lighted vanity mirrors in sunvisors
  • Better infotainment system
  • Small multi-function screen in gauges
  • Removable doors/top
  • 160 more hp
  • 2" larger wheels
  • Wheel well liners
But, here is the list of things that the Jimny has that you DON'T get in a Wrangler:
  • Side airbags
  • Auto down AND up windows (at least driver, not sure about passenger)
  • Breakdown kit
Frankly, I'd say that lighted vanity mirrors, wheel well liners, and 2" larger wheels are unnecessary (I'll accept arguments on the wheels - I would be happy to run 35s on 15s, though). Then, I'd say that auto-windows cancels out push-button start. And side airbags would cancel out better infotainment system.

That leaves the Jeep with a 160hp advantage and removable doors/top, for an extra ~$10,000. Is it worth it?

(Frankly, when I started this . . . I was thinking "no way". Now that I list it all out, though . . . yeah, probably. I mean, I paid extra for the diesel. I'd probably pay extra for the Wrangler.)
Sponsored

MRMDFY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadowbanned and taking the bus
1.5-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine churning out 101 horsepower and 96 pound-feet of torque.
And that's the only engine option? Yikes.

Weird to compare that to a Wrangler, but it's a cool option for a $20k toy.

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
1.5-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine churning out 101 horsepower and 96 pound-feet of torque.
And that's the only engine option? Yikes.

Weird to compare that to a Wrangler, but it's a cool option for a $20k toy.
I was kinda thinking that it would do better. I mean, the Jimny on weighs 3000lbs. That's almost 800lbs lighter. But, its 0-60 is like twice as much as the Wrangler. Not sure I could deal with that.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Looks like a neat assisted suicide device, it'll crumple into the tiniest ball or explode everywhere once a soccer mom plows through it...with you inside it.

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’d look to be a second owner maybe. Let the first owner take the depreciation hit. Looks like a fun toy to thrash. lol

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Those things are hugely popular in other countries. Bulletproof and will go anywhere. But they aren't a powerhouse.

That is the vehicle the Samurai turned into by the way, the Samurai we got here from the '85 to '95 was the second generation Jimny. This one is a 4th gen.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I was going to post that very video to explain why OP was wrong. HA!

The Jimny is a cheap toy. It is appropriately priced. That said, it has little to nothing to do with the price of the Wrangler or the Bronco. They're different class vehicles.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
The Samurai (Jimmy) is not a Wrangler competitor. It has the look but it’s a fraction of the size. Not a bad vehicle, but not in the same class as the Wrangler or Bronco.

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Several people I know have the old samurai's and with tires those things really do pretty well in the woods.
I was like wtf the first time I saw them but changed my tune when I saw them flogging the mud holes.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer

(Make sure you read my last couple of sentences. I might have changed my opinion.)

2021 Jimny costs $20k. Base Wrangler is $29,725. From the video, here are the extras you get for an extra $9,750:
  • Push-button start
  • Lighted vanity mirrors in sunvisors
  • Better infotainment system
  • Small multi-function screen in gauges
  • Removable doors/top
  • 160 more hp
  • 2" larger wheels
  • Wheel well liners
But, here is the list of things that the Jimny has that you DON'T get in a Wrangler:
  • Side airbags
  • Auto down AND up windows (at least driver, not sure about passenger)
  • Breakdown kit
Frankly, I'd say that lighted vanity mirrors, wheel well liners, and 2" larger wheels are unnecessary (I'll accept arguments on the wheels - I would be happy to run 35s on 15s, though). Then, I'd say that auto-windows cancels out push-button start. And side airbags would cancel out better infotainment system.

That leaves the Jeep with a 160hp advantage and removable doors/top, for an extra ~$10,000. Is it worth it?

(Frankly, when I started this . . . I was thinking "no way". Now that I list it all out, though . . . yeah, probably. I mean, I paid extra for the diesel. I'd probably pay extra for the Wrangler.)
Probably the most important difference is what you don't see here. I wonder what the crash rating is on this little SUV? How would it do in a side impact or a front overlap impact? Everything you mentioned in your post will probably equal a couple of hundred dollars to a high volume automaker but the value in the price difference is in the structural engineering that the Wrangler has over the Jimny. Suzuki would love to sell cars in the US but they couldn't afford our stringent standards so they pulled out.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
If it was sold in the US I would have test drove it. It's probably enough for some Wrangler owners. The cost of meeting and testing American crash tests, emissions and lighting would also raise the Jimny pricing.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Looks like a neat assisted suicide device, it'll crumple into the tiniest ball or explode everywhere once a soccer mom plows through it...with you inside it.
Dude, it has side airbags! You will be good.