Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The TSB parts listed refer to a steering gear, not a steering box. I believe those are both the same, correct?

Also, it seems pretty clear in the TSB that if the customer describes any symptoms such as wander or excess play to go ahead and perform the repair procedure.

I can't see how any dealer could refuse this.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The TSB parts listed refer to a steering gear, not a steering box. I believe those are both the same, correct?

Also, it seems pretty clear in the TSB that if the customer describes any symptoms such as wander or excess play to go ahead and perform the repair procedure.

I was wondering the same things.

Also wondering how any "aftermarket upgraded parts" are determined to effect the repair. Jeep Cares just told me that any of those items "could effect the service departments ability to apply the bulletin procedures". Prior, they wouldn't help diagnose because of my steering components but what about now that the steering gear is specifically stated for repair?

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
So...just got told the parts wont be available til 18 Sep!!!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Steering gear is the box, or at least that's what Jeep has done in the past.

I printed the last steering TSB and handed it to the dealership and they 100% denied and refused to do it. I got management involved too and they still wouldn't do anything.

Hopefully this time will be different.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Steering gear is the box, or at least that's what Jeep has done in the past.

I printed the last steering TSB and handed it to the dealership and they 100% denied and refused to do it. I got management involved too and they still wouldn't do anything.

Hopefully this time will be different.
I’m not sure how they can deny this one. It specifically states “If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.”

If they refuse get the dealership owner involved as well as Jeep Cares.

I’m glad I checked this site today. I made an appointment for the August 28th. They are going to let me know a little later if parts will be available.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I just received a call back from the service manager. He stated parts will not be available to order until September 28th.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Wow! This is HUGE news!

New AA (steel housing) steering box and new AB power steering pump?

What does the (AR) next to quantity mean?

Sorry, got too excited. Not a new pump, just new fluid! :giggle:

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This is good news. It reads to me like it's replacing the aluminum steering box with a steel steering box and the associated new hardware and software. That's a big change.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I was at dealership today getting radio fixed (AGAIN) and showed this TSB to them.

They told me "we can't proceed with full-filling this TSB unless the steering and suspension systems are stock, as well as wheels and tires"

I told them the TSB did not say this anywhere.

They showed me a memo from FCA stating that any modifications to the steering or suspension that were not FCA authorized is grounds for denying all warranty work related to those systems. They would not let me take a picture of the memo.....

I then asked about Mopar lifts they install and he told me they were exempt as long as no other modifications.

I then asked what about that Jeep in the showroom with a Mopar lift and 315 tires on factory rims. He said if I bought it and had problems the dealership would cover the costs.

Nice to see that FCA it acting like the Italian mafia in it's shake down and extortion tactics....

Good luck with this one if aftermarket. I will try another dealer in September once I see parts have come in.

Sponsored

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
Would this change be incorporated into 2021's?

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
SWEET ! Thanks for the info. I'm on the books to go in the 28Th Sept. But looking to have parts before then.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm just about to install an RK lift and bigger tires. Do I really need to not do this in order to get the service done? That's insane - the problem exists regardless of upgrades.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If im not having major problems should I have the steering work done? I don't want to have problems in the future.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Why risk a FCA mechanic wrenching on your JL?

I imagine the TSB is good for the life of your warranty so it could be applied later if needed.

Gives them time to make sure the new box works properly without problems given FCA’s track record with multi iterations of steering boxes. Who knows if this one will be any better.
Sponsored