Sponsored

New Steering Box, why all this fluid

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Took jeep in for the TSB of the new gear box, as well as oil/filter change.

I get home and I smell what seems like oil burning. So I look under and see all this fluid, not sure if oil or something else. From above it doesn't look like oil was spilled when refilling and around the new gear box looks like a fair amount of fluid. Could this be "normal" if sloppy work was done rather than a problematic leak?

FWIW the Jeep drove pretty well before but there was a very minor amount of play in the steering wheel and slight wandering so figured why not. It does seem to be much better. If I had to say before the Jeep drove 90% like it should and now after the new box probably closer to 98-99%.

That said, there is fluid all over the place, thoughts? Wondering if there is an actual problem or if the mechanic just did a half ass job keeping things "clean" while changing things out.

EDIT: upon reviewing my dash cam footage when they pulled it out of the shop the tech immediately said, "I smell fluid" and asked for power steering fluid.

2018 25k miles FWIW

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175538_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175528_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175510_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175427_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175412_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 20210317_175315_resized
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Maryland’s Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Act stipulates that it is a two-party consent state. In this state, it is a criminal offense to tape-record a conversation without the consent of all involved parties. Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 10-402. This means that in Maryland you are not legally allowed to record a conversation you are taking part in unless all parties are in agreement.

Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 10-402(b): Breaking the wiretapping law is considered a felony, punishable by no more than five years of prison time and a fine of up to $10,000.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
It could be fluid that leaked out during the replacement. Hopefully they just didn’t clean up their mess after.

Honestly though it doesn’t really matter what anyone on the internet thinks. It needs to be taken back to the dealership ASAP.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience when my steering box was replaced and I chalk it up to the hoses draining out when removed and the fluid dripping everywhere.

I checked my fluid level a couple of days after the replacement and it was low, likely due to air working its way out of the system--so be sure to check yours.

What I really did not like was even after wiping down all areas I could reach with shop rags, the engine and adjoining areas became covered in oil film over the course of a few weeks. I hand washed it with a soft brush and Dawn soap and it did not return.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Maryland’s Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Act stipulates that it is a two-party consent state. In this state, it is a criminal offense to tape-record a conversation without the consent of all involved parties. Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 10-402. This means that in Maryland you are not legally allowed to record a conversation you are taking part in unless all parties are in agreement.

Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 10-402(b): Breaking the wiretapping law is considered a felony, punishable by no more than five years of prison time and a fine of up to $10,000.
Jeep Wrangler JL New Steering Box, why all this fluid 77296941-3744-4BBE-BAF3-7B086A2EB83A

Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys

While you cited the law correctly... if you reviewed relevant case law you would have seen that no crime was committed by this owner for simply leaving his dashcam activated within his own vehicle.

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06

even if they were outside the car at the time in public?

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I had a similar experience when my steering box was replaced and I chalk it up to the hoses draining out when removed and the fluid dripping everywhere.

I checked my fluid level a couple of days after the replacement and it was low, likely due to air working its way out of the system--so be sure to check yours.

What I really did not like was even after wiping down all areas I could reach with shop rags, the engine and adjoining areas became covered in oil film over the course of a few weeks. I hand washed it with a soft brush and Dawn soap and it did not return.
yeah, def not happy about that esp if I ever resell privately but then again, hopefully the work receipt will ease new owner's mind

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
While you cited the law correctly... if you reviewed relevant case law you would have seen that no crime was committed by this owner for simply leaving his dashcam activated within his own vehicle.

that's what I was thinking since according to the law "a convo you are part of", i was not part of the conversation not even with my vehicle

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's what I was thinking since according to the law "a convo you are part of", i was not part of the conversation not even with my vehicle
Yes, but there is more to it than that, regardless I would not worry about it.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, def not happy about that esp if I ever resell privately but then again, hopefully the work receipt will ease new owner's mind
It will "wear off" over time with rain, road splash, etc. working its way up from the bottom. The hoses are not in a good place and I guess it would be difficult for them to catch the fluid as it drained, plus they are "on the clock".

Just be sure to check your fluid levels after a few days. I think you will find it is below the minimum fill level.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless he intends to ever use the dash cam for any legal purpose. It’s good to avoid doing crimes.
Good point and while we are at it, someone should warn him about the OEM speedometer and obeying posted speed limits...