Sponsored

NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod!

Slammed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU ,2010 Kia Soul
Got mine yesterday and installed it when I got home from work. It is a 5 minute install. Works awesome!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Got mine yesterday and installed it when I got home from work. It is a 5 minute install. Works awesome!
We love to hear the installation went as easily as described! 😎

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Dumb question, but is there a recommended way to seal the ends of the purple strobe wire after snipping it in half?

Considering where the wires will be located, I didn't want salt/brine solution splashing up and causing any corrosion. I'm sure electrical tape would hold for a little while, but would hot glue or a dab of anything else work better?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dumb question, but is there a recommended way to seal the ends of the purple strobe wire after snipping it in half?

Considering where the wires will be located, I didn't want salt/brine solution splashing up and causing any corrosion. I'm sure electrical tape would hold for a little while, but would hot glue or a dab of anything else work better?
Do the install, and be sure you are happy with the light output and such and then do that cut of the purple wire... This way if you do not like you can return as new (no wire damage/cut) for a refund.

Yes, after cutting you can cover the cut end with silicone, or liquid electrical tape, etc..

Be sure to cut dead center on the length of wire so it will/can be easy to work with the ends just in case you or someone else wants to reconnect the purple wire ends.

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod! 71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Do the install, and be sure you are happy with the light output and such and then do that cut of the purple wire... This way if you do not like you can return as new (no wire damage/cut) for a refund.

Yes, after cutting you can cover the cut end with silicone, or liquid electrical tape, etc..

Be sure to cut dead center on the length of wire so it will/can be easy to work with the ends just in case you or someone else wants to reconnect the purple wire ends.

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod! 71pasIUrnfL._SL1500_
Smart idea about doing the cut later, just in case. Never even thought of that, thanks! 👍

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart idea about doing the cut later, just in case. Never even thought of that, thanks! 👍
I'm quite sure you will not be sending the offering back.... Like other Diode Dynamic's offerings, the
Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit is a terrific offering.. but do wait til after install and eval. before you cut the wire...

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@Rhinebeck01 I installed mine a few days ago. Not sure yet if I will be keeping it. Kinda on the fence with the light output, being more of a spot then a flood … 🤔
@dshark1 I still added a different “additional” reverse light kit but STILL am keeping this as the other functions (brake and park lighting) is very useful addition to be seen by the idiot FL drivers.

I also use it for another purpose (can look up my “Rear Light” modification install post) which I feel is a perfect size and output to be seen in the FL downpours and fog without it being obnoxious.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I'm quite sure you will not be sending the offering back.... Like other Diode Dynamic's offerings, the
Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit is a terrific offering.. but do wait til after install and eval. before you cut the wire...
So I found some liquid tape, but for some reason, I'm having an unusually difficult time trying to remove the factory plug from the back of the 7+4-way plug. Keep pressing down on the one release lever, but it just doesn't want to budge. Is there another latch on the opposite side of that lever or something else I'm missing?

Saw another video install mention a latch that needs to be slid out, but can't seem to find that on my plug. 1-minute install my ass 🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod! Image1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I found some liquid tape, but for some reason, I'm having an unusually difficult time trying to remove the factory plug from the back of the 7+4-way plug. Keep pressing down on the one release lever, but it just doesn't want to budge. Is there another latch on the opposite side of that lever or something else I'm missing?

Saw another video install mention a latch that needs to be slid out, but can't seem to find that on my plug. 1-minute install my ass 🤣

Image1.jpg
If I remember correctly, it is just that one clip/area that you firmly press in and then you have to wiggle, fight, fight, yank it loose. I unbolt the metal 7 pin holder itself so I can get it down where I can fight with it/ deal with it.

Quadratec has a bullchitt video showing the process, where Rob or whatever his name is just reaches up there and releases it very easily. Pure bullchitt, as no on is going to be able to just reach up there and release it that easy. Quadratec did a cut and splice of that video..

In closing fight with it til you get it done...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod! Image1
Good morning,

Just following up to see if you had any luck removing your 7-pin connector?

Hope you had luck and got it removed since posting last week!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Good morning,

Just following up to see if you had any luck removing your 7-pin connector?

Hope you had luck and got it removed since posting last week!
Nope, not yet! But honestly haven't gone back to try again since I posted. I'll give it another go before work tomorrow.. maybe eat a bowl of Wheaties first! 😄

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good morning!

If you're in need of a cap immediately, they are offered online from multiple sources for a low price.

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Cover-Plug-Plastic-Body/dp/B01L40BIM8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OK6QSP6CXMR8&keywords=dt+connector+cap&qid=1679327152&sprefix=dt+connector+cap,aps,96&sr=8-3

However, our team after releasing this product has caps requested by many users. We hope to be rolling our DD caps with our HitchMount LED pods in the near future!

Thank you for your recommendation, request, and patience.
For all those that want a dust cover/plug to cover the female deutsch connector when you temporarily remove the Diode Dynamics HitchMount LED Pod when you are towing..

I can verify that indeed the dust cover/plug sold at the link above does fit well and is a very decent dust cover/plug. I have an am using the offering dust cover/plug.

The cap actually snaps on so it is not going to fall off or work itself off.

The offering even has a place where you can attach some fishing line, etc. so you can secure the dust cover/plug when not in use.

Do not run without a dust cover/plug on that female deutsch connector. That connector will get dirty easily/quickly and the connector will become unusable.

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Cover-Plug-Plastic-Body/dp/B01L40BIM8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OK6QSP6CXMR8&keywords=dt+connector+cap&qid=1679327152&sprefix=dt+connector+cap,aps,96&sr=8-3
@Diode Dynamics

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit | The BEST 5 Minute Mod! 51mZeTcH9NL._SL1500_

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The two Diode Dynamics Stage Series HitchMount LED Pod Kit offerings are really decent..

I have dealt with/ used/installed both the C1 and the C1R. So darn easy to install.

The other day I installed a C1R kit on my Son's new 2023 Toyota Tacoma. The install is exactly the same as it was on a JL or JT. An install most any guy or gal could do without fuss.

Install took literally, less the 5 mins. Yes, that fast. The 7 pin connector on his brand new Tacoma released extremely easily.

The red running light and the strobe... and the look of the LED pod, mounted in the receiver were really liked by my Son.

The strobe is very subtle and is real nice.

IF you are looking for some increased b/u lighting do consider either the @Diode Dynamics, C1 or C1R.
For sure, a way better way to go then with reflector replacement, b/u lights that are a pain to install and usually end up with issues.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
For all those that want a dust cover/plug to cover the female deutsch connector when you temporarily remove the Diode Dynamics HitchMount LED Pod when you are towing..

I can verify that indeed the dust cover/plug sold at the link above does fit well and is a very decent dust cover/plug. I have an am using the offering dust cover/plug.

The cap actually snaps on so it is not going to fall off or work itself off.

The offering even has a place where you can attach some fishing line, etc. so you can secure the dust cover/plug when not in use.

Do not run without a dust cover/plug on that female deutsch connector. That connector will get dirty easily/quickly and the connector will become unusable.

@Diode Dynamics

51mZeTcH9NL._SL1500_.jpg
+1 to the Diode Dynamics hitch mounted back up light. It’s a high quality product and an easy install.
A few observations;

1. I’ve read that some people have had an issue unplugging their original 7 pin connector from the back. I figured mine might be difficult. It wasn’t at all. I took my time, got under the bumper and made sure I was fully depressing the locking tab. Honestly, it released without issue and with ease. Putting the new connector was simple and I could hear an audible click when it was secured.

2. I plan on securing the pod in place with a 3” stainless steel through bolt (with a nylock nut) so that someone walking by cannot casually liberate the pod from my receiver. On the few times that I tow and use the receiver the bolt and nut can be easily removed with simple tools.

3. The wiring is very straightforward and I was easily able to secure the large connection away from the muffler with additional zip ties.

4. I did order the Deutsch connector cap and felt it is a necessity. Not only does it protect the connector when it is not in use, but has the additional benefit of creating a place to “park” the connector when disconnected. As Rhinebeck pointed out it has a tab that can be used to secure it to the underpinning of your Jeep. (I am going to try to locate it on the existing hole next to the trailer wiring harnesswas secured. When I relocated the back of the 7 pin plug I removed the small plastic “Christmas“ tree fastener that was used to hold the wire loom. This leaves a metal hole that this dust cap can be attached to. The only remaining challenge is to figure how how to protect any remaining wiring (when the pod is disconnected) from falling or blowing up onto the hot muffler. I may need to zip tie the existing wire.
I did contact Diode Dynamics and asked them about the necessity of a dust cap. I do feel this is something they should have included and they said they had plans to do so in the future. For $6.00 in my opinion, this is a must to protect that connector when not in use. I just wish it had been included with this high end light and harness.

*Now I just need to resell my uninstalled NIB Oracle back up lights that I purchased before I decided on the Diode Dynamic solution. I like the Oracle back up lights, this was just easier for my existing set up.
Sponsored