New Rubicon in shop indefinitely

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
So came on here to vent. My new Rubicon with 300 miles is at the dealership indefinitely. It all started with a chirping noise it made since I took it home. I didn't think much of it and just assumed it would go away and was no big deal. Fast forward the noise got worse and brought it to the dealer. I was told it had a bad idler pulley and it had to be ordered. A week later the part came in and I went back to have it fixed. This is when the real bad news began. I was told that it did not fix the noise and a STAR case was opened. After a few weeks going by and the dealership never responding to me I find out that they came to the conclusion I need a new engine. So I have now started a case with Chrysler for potential buyback or other options, but of course this happens to be in the middle of a worldwide pandemic so I was told I need to be "patient." So now I am kinda in the dark for who knows how long after only being able to drive my Rubicon for about 2 weeks. Any input from anyone that has gone through a buyback or engine replacement would be welcomed. Or if you just want to try and make me feel better lol.:(
Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
That sucks...I'm sorry! Did they at least give you a loaner?

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks...I'm sorry! Did they at least give you a loaner?
Yea I'm in a red 4 door sport loaner so at least I don't have to worry about transportation, just really bummed don't have my Rubicon to upgrade and enjoy especially in the current times when there is nothing better to do.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

So came on here to vent. My new Rubicon with 300 miles is at the dealership indefinitely. It all started with a chirping noise it made since I took it home. I didn't think much of it and just assumed it would go away and was no big deal. Fast forward the noise got worse and brought it to the dealer. I was told it had a bad idler pulley and it had to be ordered. A week later the part came in and I went back to have it fixed. This is when the real bad news began. I was told that it did not fix the noise and a STAR case was opened. After a few weeks going by and the dealership never responding to me I find out that they came to the conclusion I need a new engine. So I have now started a case with Chrysler for potential buyback or other options, but of course this happens to be in the middle of a worldwide pandemic so I was told I need to be "patient." So now I am kinda in the dark for who knows how long after only being able to drive my Rubicon for about 2 weeks. Any input from anyone that has gone through a buyback or engine replacement would be welcomed. Or if you just want to try and make me feel better lol.:(
ive heard that a few of the 3.6 where came out with a bad valve train. there is a couple post on it in the forums. honestly IMO id go for the new motor or ask the dealer and FCA to do a swap out of the exact matching model and optioned out jeep. and call it a day. ( this would include a buy back due to paper work and load changing to a different vin number. as crappy as it is at least they found the problem and are trying to do something about it and not hide it like others have had. and with the Virus going around they may have trouble getting a complete engine from the warehouse/ product line. if you go the route of the engine ask them to note the original motor s/n and the new. and a fresh warranty. I've had a motor replaced on a ram once and when it was approved by FCA it really only takes about a day and a half to do the swap out.. I feel for you though not being in your own jeep. but i hope that they cover a loaner the whole time too as it is a warranty issue and they have claimed ownership already. Keep us updated though~!

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
When you say chirp, when does it happen? I also have a chirp noise every now and then when i put the gear in D

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive heard that a few of the 3.6 where came out with a bad valve train. there is a couple post on it in the forums. honestly IMO id go for the new motor or ask the dealer and FCA to do a swap out of the exact matching model and optioned out jeep. and call it a day. ( this would include a buy back due to paper work and load changing to a different vin number. as crappy as it is at least they found the problem and are trying to do something about it and not hide it like others have had. and with the Virus going around they may have trouble getting a complete engine from the warehouse/ product line. if you go the route of the engine ask them to note the original motor s/n and the new. and a fresh warranty. I've had a motor replaced on a ram once and when it was approved by FCA it really only takes about a day and a half to do the swap out.. I feel for you though not being in your own jeep. but i hope that they cover a loaner the whole time too as it is a warranty issue and they have claimed ownership already. Keep us updated though~!
So I actually have the 2.0T eTorque. Due to current world events I am trying to remain calm as I know that there is nothing that can be done to speed things up at this time. I just really hope the dealership takes care of my Jeep during the process. I'm super OCD about my Jeep and this is a very hard pill to swallow at 300 miles. I am pushing for a buyback(replace my Jeep with equal model) but who knows how that will go, and was told more than likely they wont make any decisions till current Jeep is fixed.. And seeing as I got a really good deal with discount and 4k in rebates not sure if they would try and give me a hard time about replacing Jeep. There is no way I should have to come out of this with loosing money out of pocket. I guess at minimum I would expect compensation for depreciated value that my Jeep will have even if they fix it correctly. Just is a real bummer as I traded in a perfectly good 19 Sport JL for my Rubicon.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say chirp, when does it happen? I also have a chirp noise every now and then when i put the gear in D
It was making the chirping noise when idling. It was a constant noise that changed with the RPMs

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
Man that sucks.
I have not gone through this by any means, but with 2 weeks of ownership and 300 miles, I would be getting in touch with FCA on top of the dealer. Have they offered a loaner or anything.
Sorry just saw the post about the loaner.
Hate to say "get a lawyer" but if they cant come to a decision in a timely manner, you may need to get one involved.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
So I actually have the 2.0T eTorque. Due to current world events I am trying to remain calm as I know that there is nothing that can be done to speed things up at this time. I just really hope the dealership takes care of my Jeep during the process. I'm super OCD about my Jeep and this is a very hard pill to swallow at 300 miles. I am pushing for a buyback(replace my Jeep with equal model) but who knows how that will go, and was told more than likely they wont make any decisions till current Jeep is fixed.. And seeing as I got a really good deal with discount and 4k in rebates not sure if they would try and give me a hard time about replacing Jeep. There is no way I should have to come out of this with loosing money out of pocket. I guess at minimum I would expect compensation for depreciated value that my Jeep will have even if they fix it correctly. Just is a real bummer as I traded in a perfectly good 19 Sport JL for my Rubicon.
Check the lemon law in your state !

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
It was making the chirping noise when idling. It was a constant noise that changed with the RPMs
oh wow ok. best of luck to you man. I hated dealing with FCA especially when you pay so much for something like this

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

damn. sucks to hear.

ive been planning to sell my zero issues sport later this year and get a rubi. this is my fear.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the lemon law in your state !
Yea I think here its if its been in for the same repair for more than 3 weeks, which it will be 3 weeks next week, or 3 times for the same repair. Correction 30 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
damn. sucks to hear.

ive been planning to sell my zero issues sport later this year and get a rubi. this is my fear.
Yea its a bummer for sure. I was so happy when I got it, but unfortunately that joy did not last long. I would hope this is not the norm but really starting to lose some faith.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Yea I think here its if its been in for the same repair for more than 3 weeks, which it will be 3 weeks next week, or 3 times for the same repair. Correction 30 days.
Sit back wait out the 30days then go for it ! That's what I would do !

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Sorry that you are having an issue with your new Jeep. My last vehicle (not a jeep) had the motor replaced at 34000 under warranty and was golden for the next 10 years until I reluctantly sold it due to lack of a garage. It turns out it was a smart move because I refuse to drive anything that's not a Jeep, but I digress. Replacing the engine is easy but nothing is worse than having a major issue with such a large investment. I know from experience. I wish you luck witch ever way you choose in finding a resolution.
Sponsored