New PCM flash gave me a 7 speed.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It can run flex fuel with tuning.
Mpg on E85 is lower due to lower energy of e85 (car needs to ruch significantly richer 9.8:1 vs 14.7:1).

Nevertheless, its cheaper to run e85 as opposed to premium gasoline. You alsonlookig at up to 15hp extra with e85 vs 93 octane due to how much more timing you can run with very high octane fuel like e85.

It's best to run premium top tier fuel once a month to flush your system regularly and prevent any gumming of injectors with prolong use of e85.
Yes, knew about the energy difference between E85 and gasoline, I used to run it in my Ford FX4 when I towed which gave me an extra 20 to 25 HP. However it will not be cheaper to run versus premium gasoline at least in my area of the world. E85 is only about 10 cents cheaper than regular unleaded and about 60 cents cheaper than premium. With the reduction in fuel economy if you do the math it doesn't even come close.

So the Wrangler platform's fuel system is built for E85, just not tuned to use it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Yes, knew about the energy difference between E85 and gasoline, I used to run it in my Ford FX4 when I towed which gave me an extra 20 to 25 HP. However it will not be cheaper to run versus premium gasoline. at least in my area of the world. E85 is only about 10 cents cheaper than regular unleaded and about 60 cents cheaper than premium. With the reduction in fuel economy if you do the math it doesn't even come close.

So the Wrangler platform's fuel system is built for E85, just not tuned to use it?
Yes, modern vehicle systems are able to handle e85.
Higher compression engines have less of a difference between fuel efficiency between e85 and regular gas. 19.5:1 compression engine (runs only on e85) has 22%higher fuel efficiency compared to same sized engine designed to run gasoline (13:1 compression).

Unrefined low compression Ford v8 with tune that is very broad and bearrly adequate to run e85 would definitely see atleast 20% drop.

Running e85 in modern high compression vehicles roughly equates to mid grade.
Wrangler engine were design to run high octane (91) but accept 87 as vehicle pulls timing, and you loose a bit if mpg and power. Granted OEM tuning is garbage when it comes to maximizing power out of higher octane, hence unusually high gains from tuning to specific fuel octane levels.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have not heard of anyone attaining MPG even close to gasoline running E85, so that would be news. I am not sure how that is possible when considering the energy content of E85.

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I have not heard of anyone attaining MPG even close to gasoline running E85, so that would be news. I am sure how that is possible when considering the energy content of E85.
It has to do with compression. Higher compression achieves more power.
Engines designed for only e85 run much higher compression then gasoline engines (similar to diesel) -not flex fuel engines.

High compression gasoline engines only able to run low octane when detuned, engine pulls back on timing. Usually vehicles are configured for 91 octane and see considerable drop in power and some mpg when going with low octane. Or its configured like Jeep, engi e design to run high octane, OEM tune designed to get by on 87 octane with some knock and not much optimization when you run 93. That's when you see 40hp gain on 93 octane and gain in mpg when aftermarket comes in with a tune.

Normaly I would not expect more then 10hp gain with 93 tune on high compression v6 NA engine that was done right from factory -

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I ordered the livernois tune and will run E85. Right now I use 93 and the difference is $1.03/ gallon here. It should save me around $200/ year using E85. Plus extra power and a cleaner engine. Looking forward to the trans tune as well to see if 8th gear will be usable.

Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
Keep us posted on the Livernois tune and transmission tune.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Yeah, will probably be about 2 weeks. Livernois has to build the tune based on my Jeep and ship it out after I clone my PCM for them.

I have always felt that the only thing missing in a wrangler is a bit more power for the fun factor. I have no desire to spend 7k on a supercharger. 50hp will be very noticable and will compliment my Mopar CAI. Their tune will compensate for the additional airflow.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
My JLR was flashed three weeks ago, when I brought it in for a transfer case leak. I wish they left it alone, my gas mileage is 18-19 mpg when before I was getting 22 mpg. Thanks @JeepCares...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My JLR was flashed three weeks ago, when I brought it in for a transfer case leak. I wish they left it alone, my gas mileage is 18-19 mpg when before I was getting 22 mpg. Thanks @JeepCares...
Have you notified your Jeep dealer that there has been a change since receiving this service?

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored