New parts changing my mind

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
The steel bumper weighs considerably less than a full tank of gas.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Going with 37s, you may want to reconsider the 4.88s and go with 5.13s.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
It's amazing to me how much weigh people add modding suspension/tires/etc. and do absolutely nothing to the engine to compensate. CAI's and exhaust do little or nothing - at least try a tune or consider supercharging to get that pep back....

Skippy477

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I bought a Sahara, and added Rubicon takeoff suspension, wheels, tires, and a new Mopar front bumper. I certainly noticed a difference from a rolling skate feel to something more beefy. However, it actually felt better to me and more planted, albeit slightly slower.

I then added side armor and a metal rear bumper, and I'd say I am done. It does feel a little heavier again, teetering on too heavy. I'm still happy with it, but I am not going to go with bigger tires, ever. I think I'll lose too much, and have to regear at that point anyway. My modding ways are done at this point, and I'm happy with the outcome anyway. It'll handle any trail I actually want to do.
Your Jeep looks great in the pictures but I'm curious, why buy a Sahara and then swap out all the parts for Rubicon parts? I'm new to this so I'm not criticizing, I just really don't understand. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to just start with a Rubicon?

Last edited:

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '21 JLUR with the OEM Steel bumper, a winch plus the MOPAR lift and 35's (Falken AT3W). The only main difference I can tell vs stock is that my mpg has gone down, but ride quality and performance has been great, if not better. The Falkens are really good both on and off road. I put on the mods for off-road use, but if you're not, it's probably a waste of $$$. Either way, enjoy your ride!
Good info! How much did your MPG drop? I have the 2.0T and am currently getting around 21 mpg combined.

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's amazing to me how much weigh people add modding suspension/tires/etc. and do absolutely nothing to the engine to compensate. CAI's and exhaust do little or nothing - at least try a tune or consider supercharging to get that pep back....
The power in these motors is MORE than adequate even with the 37" tires.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Good info! How much did your MPG drop? I have the 2.0T and am currently getting around 21 mpg combined.
Was getting around 18 mpg w/o the mods. I currently get around 16, but where I live are lots of hills and I tend to have a heavy foot on the freeway.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You're Jeep looks great in the pictures but I'm curious, why buy a Sahara and then swap out all the parts for Rubicon parts? I'm new to this so I'm not criticizing, I just really don't understand. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to just start with a Rubicon?
If you want to do hard core stuff, buying a Rubicon makes sense. Not everyone needs all the features that a Rubicon has, however. So they buy a Sport or Sahara and add what they need.

For example, putting Rubicon suspension components on a Sport or Sahara is very popular on this forum. If gives the vehicle a 1 1/2 to 2 inch lift for a few hundred dollars.

Plus the Sahara has some advantages over the Rubicon. For example, Select Trac makes it easier to drive through snow.

Having said that...

Some people don't have enough information about the different models to make an informed purchase. So they buy a Sport and then want to a 3 1/2 inch lift and 37's. This happens more often that you would think.

Some people start out wanting a Jeep for street use and light trails. After they start driving around they want to take on more difficult trails.

Some people can't afford anything more expensive than a basic Sport. So they start there and modify as cash flow allows.

Some people plan to change out axles, fenders, wheels, etc. to make a hard core rock climbing machine. Except for the electronic sway bar disconnect, there is no advantage in purchasing a Rubicon since everything will be going.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
The power in these motors is MORE than adequate even with the 37" tires.
Not even. I'm running the Livernois tune and it def makes a difference and I'm stock suspension/tires. Guess it depends on what you came from.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not even. I'm running the Livernois tune and it def makes a difference and I'm stock suspension/tires. Guess it depends on what you came from.
So true. My other car is a 2013 Shelby GT500 Convertible. Having had everything from CJ7's with a V8 304 to this I can say THIS is the most powerful Jeep I have owned for sure.

Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep looks great in the pictures but I'm curious, why buy a Sahara and then swap out all the parts for Rubicon parts? I'm new to this so I'm not criticizing, I just really don't understand. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to just start with a Rubicon?
It's a fair question.

The main reason was that I bought it during the initial phases of the covid lockdown, so inventory was very sparse in the southeast. Nary a Rubicon to be found, but I didn't need the heavier axle and disconnects in a Rubi anyway, and I wanted more creature comforts than the sport could offer in any trim line. There's sound deadening, LED lighting, select trac, and other features on the Sahara not on the sport too.

One of the kickers was that I wanted the etorque V6, and in 2020, that was only on the Sahara. There's a nice e power assist that smooths the torque curve nicely.

Once I got it I felt like it looked like a roller skate, and I wanted a cheap beef up, so went with a set of takeoff wheels, tires, and suspension. $950 bucks all in.

Looking back, I'm not sure I'd change anything if I had to do it over again. It fits me well at this point and turned out pretty sweet.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
It's a fair question.

The main reason was that I bought it during the initial phases of the covid lockdown, so inventory was very sparse in the southeast. Nary a Rubicon to be found, but I didn't need the heavier axle and disconnects in a Rubi anyway, and I wanted more creature comforts than the sport could offer in any trim line. There's sound deadening, LED lighting, select trac, and other features on the Sahara not on the sport too.

One of the kickers was that I wanted the etorque V6, and in 2020, that was only on the Sahara. There's a nice e power assist that smooths the torque curve nicely.

Once I got it I felt like it looked like a roller skate, and I wanted a cheap beef up, so went with a set of takeoff wheels, tires, and suspension. $950 bucks all in.

Looking back, I'm not sure I'd change anything if I had to do it over again. It fits me well at this point and turned out pretty sweet.
Agree - Fair question. When I purchased used I couldn't find a Rubi within $15K of the Sport S I bought for same year/condition/miles. Of Course, I have put about $3,800 in additions (not counting wheels/tires) to make it it look like a Rubi with paint matched Flares, Perf Rails, Hood, Grille, Steel Bumper Group, and LED package. :LOL:

At Purchase

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_7751 2

After

Jeep Wrangler JL New parts changing my mind IMG_8223

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Going with 37s, you may want to reconsider the 4.88s and go with 5.13s.
I have been considering Both. I enjoy driving at a good speed in the highway so I assumed the 4.88 were a little more aggressive with 37s than the 4.10 gears on stock tires are. Can you share some of the reasons you recommend the 5.13s? I’d like to learn more about this.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Agree - Fair question. When I purchased used I couldn't find a Rubi within $15K of the Sport S I bought for same year/condition/miles. Of Course, I have put about $3,800 in additions (not counting wheels/tires) to make it it look like a Rubi with paint matched Flares, Perf Rails, Hood, Grille, Steel Bumper Group, and LED package. :LOL:

At Purchase

After

Change your hood decal to DECEPTICON

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you drive highway a lot then the 4.88s will keep you performance close to stock. 5.13s will help more on the trail to overcome the tire diameter. If you have a 6 speed the 5.13s will also help around town or in stop and go traffic.
Sponsored