First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
My stock JLUR is used primarily for commuting, and looks/drives great while doing it. However, the thought of adding a simple level kit and 35s on the stock rims should give me the edge I’m looking for. Those 2 mods can’t be too bad, right? Just a little something extra.
14229630-4F8C-4DFA-AC63-177901A19795.jpeg
Like the white
Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Your Jeep, but....

I put "37 inch" KO2s on my JLUR with a "2 inch" Mopar lift + some leveling spacers in each corner for leveling. That yielded ˜3.5" of lift (measured loaded at 5,600 lbs).

The 37" KO2s measure exactly 35" installed on the Jeep when inflated to 30 PSI. And they look tiny.

I suggest you seriously consider putting 37" if you go KO2s. They are so light there is nearly zero performance degradation with my 2.0/A-8.

Thanks for the heads up their tire sizing is all over the place “ a 35 is a 33.5 a 37 is a 36.5😂 I found depending on the load rating they seem truer to size

[P.S. The KO2s were not my first choice of tires - they were simply what I could get in short order, since I had only 2 weeks to finish my Jeep up from when I bought it till first wheeling trip - they look like a size smaller compared to the other 37s in my wheeling group]

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I'm with you. I love this forum and seeing all the things people do to their jeeps, but I have literally done nothing to mine other than acquire a OEM premium softop from another forum member and build a top lifting system in my garage so I can easily switch between the two. Other than that, my 2020 Sahara is completely stock. It had all of the options I wanted when I bought it off the dealership's lot, and a couple that I did not intend to add when I was planning on ordering one. I keep thinking I must be a bad jeep owner, since I haven't done any mods, but I like it just the way it is. It looks and drives great! About the only other thing I have seriously considered is the Roam running boards with LED lighting, but I just haven't talked myself into doing the electrical work that they will require.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
I'm with you. I love this forum and seeing all the things people do to their jeeps, but I have literally done nothing to mine other than acquire a OEM premium softop from another forum member and build a top lifting system in my garage so I can easily switch between the two. Other than that, my 2020 Sahara is completely stock. It had all of the options I wanted when I bought it off the dealership's lot, and a couple that I did not intend to add when I was planning on ordering one. I keep thinking I must be a bad jeep owner, since I haven't done any mods, but I like it just the way it is. It looks and drives great! About the only other thing I have seriously considered is the Roam running boards with LED lighting, but I just haven't talked myself into doing the electrical work that they will require.

I decided to have fun with it and learn as much as I can. I am going proceed with the build. I’m pretty good at talking myself out of doing fun things so this will be a nice change of pace. I’ve committed to running 37s after some advice and see a few rigs in person that run a tire that size. I’m now looking at a re gear, learning about ratios and how much I can push it before I start breaking things.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It sounds as if you are going to modify the vehicle despite your concerns.

As you lift your Jeep, you will change how it drives. This explains the ways in which you can minimize the effects of the changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
It sounds as if you are going to modify the vehicle despite your concerns.

As you lift your Jeep, you will change how it drives. This explains the ways in which you can minimize the effects of the changes.

Thanks for the video, I’m a bit past it, but still informative. So far I’ve ordered

MC 3.5 GC
New track and drag
Sector shaft
New front driveshaft

The plan is
Tazer mini
37s
4.88 gears
And a few other goodies for now.

Will be using oem wheels with spacers and allocating my wheel budget to a re-gear “oem’s are crazy light to begin with”

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the video, I’m a bit past it, but still informative. So far I’ve ordered

MC 3.5 GC
New track and drag
Sector shaft
New front driveshaft

The plan is
Tazer mini
37s
4.88 gears
And a few other goodies for now.

Will be using oem wheels with spacers and allocating my wheel budget to a re-gear “oem’s are crazy light to begin with”
Mounting 37s on OE wheels sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Tire manufacturers recommend 35x12.5-inch tires be mounted on wheels that are at least 8.5-inch wide. The OE wheels are only 7.5 inches wide; many tire shops refuse to mount 35s on the OE wheels. The side walls on 37s are going to exert even more pressure on those narrow OE rims.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
37s on OE wheels sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Tire manufacturers recommend 35-inch tires be mounted on wheels that are at least 8.5-inch wide; many tire retailers even refuse to mount 35s on the OE wheels. The side walls on those 37s are going to exert even more pressure on the narrow OE rims.

For some reason I was under the impression that they were 9 inches wide. I see that they are 7.5 wide which also explains why they are so light. Time to do some wheel shopping.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I was under the impression that they were 9 inches wide. I see that they are 7.5 wide which also explains why they are so light. Time to do some wheel shopping.
If weight saving is a key consideration, look at Quadratec branded 17” alloys. Most of them are 8.5” wide and only 2-3 lbs heavier than OE.

For instance, the Quadratec CJ Retro wheels on my avatar weigh 25 lbs. That’s only 3 lbs heavier than OE.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
I don’t see how heavy they are.

From what I’ve seen, most of the popular aftermarket 17” wheels weigh 30 to 35 lbs each.
24lbs for the 17s
28.6lbs for the 20s

They are flow forged. I need to read more about them but at first glance in bronze they look nice.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Mounting 37s on OE wheels sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Tire manufacturers recommend 35x12.5-inch tires be mounted on wheels that are at least 8.5-inch wide. The OE wheels are only 7.5 inches wide; many tire shops refuse to mount 35s on the OE wheels. The side walls on 37s are going to exert even more pressure on those narrow OE rims.
I was surprised to see how many members have put 35's on oem wheels. Even when the manufacturers don't recommend it and some shops won't do it.

Still, no one has reported any issues so far. This remains a grey area.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
My Rubicon came with the plastic bumpers and I installed the Mopar steel bumper (front only) because most of my off-roading is done with a couple passengers but no other Jeeps. So I wanted a winch for some piece-of-mind. One of the first things I immediately noticed was the added weight on the front and how it impacted the acceleration (no noticeable change in the steering, though). After a week or two, I barely even noticed the difference any more.

That said, realizing just how noticeable it was right out of the gate definitely gave me pause when considering a lift and/or 35" tires. I like the Rubicon's stock ride quality and don't want to lose it. So, I'm holding off on those upgrades until I meet some folks with a comparable rig but with lifts and larger tires who will hopefully let me test drive theirs to compare.

It's your Jeep. Enjoy it in the way that makes you happy.
I have a '21 JLUR with the OEM Steel bumper, a winch plus the MOPAR lift and 35's (Falken AT3W). The only main difference I can tell vs stock is that my mpg has gone down, but ride quality and performance has been great, if not better. The Falkens are really good both on and off road. I put on the mods for off-road use, but if you're not, it's probably a waste of $$$. Either way, enjoy your ride!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is a stock Sahara with power steps as my only mod and I love it. I wheel through mountains and woods upstate and it handles it fine. As a manual transmission Jeep I read these posts about guys lifting, putting large tires, regearing and then complaining they never get to use 6th gear. I use 6th all the time, stay at 2000 rpm’s and get decent mileage.
Then I drive next to guys with giant tires on the highway and I can hear their rubber slapping the road loud enough to hear with my windows closed. Yet there’s all kinds of threads and complaints about Jeep’s being too noisy.
I keep traction boards and recovery gear just in case but mine is fine stock.
Sponsored