First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Which engine and transmission do you have? Consider a tune to offset the performance lost. Also, you may not have lost as much as you think. It could just "feel different". After the suspension and tires it will definitely feel different. And it will be a little slower, but again a tuner and tune like superchips could bring that right back. I put one of their tunes on mine and it's great. I drove a tuned rubicon with 35" and 20" rims and it was peppier than the stock jeeps I was test driving when I was looking to buy mine. It's one of the reasons I bought the tuner.

8 speed AT. I think Iā€™m being a bit overly critical of the build. I ordered a MC 3.5, MC full steering upgrade, and Synergy sector shaft brace. If it feels overwhelmingly slow after I will either defeat or reach out to Kraftwerks for a different kind of solution.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I don't understand anyone who lifts their Jeep and doesn't need the clearance for off road purposes. It simply doesn't make any sense. Time and time again I've heard the story that someone modifies their Jeep for no apparent reason and then sells it because it drive like shit.

Take your Jeep off road. Find it's limitations and upgrade your road blocks to more difficult trails.

If you don't off road, leave it alone. It only drives worse on road the more off road you make it.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
I don't understand anyone who lifts their Jeep and doesn't need the clearance for off road purposes. It simply doesn't make any sense. Time and time again I've heard the story that someone modifies their Jeep for no apparent reason and then sells it because it drive like shit.

Take your Jeep off road. Find it's limitations and upgrade your road blocks to more difficult trails.

If you don't off road, leave it alone. It only drives worse on road the more off road you make it.
Thatā€™s just to much common sense for one post. It goes against 99% of the automotive industries ā€œwants not needsā€ logic. However right it is šŸ˜‚! The idea is not to get to a place where it drives poorly, but rather build a balanced jeep that can handle more than the average trail and be comfortable on the highway. Both are doable but itā€™s probably not cheap.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

I don't understand anyone who pays good money to ruin their Jeep.
Thatā€™s just to much common sense for one post. It goes against 99% of the automotive industries ā€œwants not needsā€ logic. However right it is šŸ˜‚! The idea is not to get to a place where it drives poorly, but rather build a balanced jeep that can handle more than the average trail and be comfortable on the highway. Both are doable but itā€™s probably not cheap.
I feel like the cheap part is where people get a vehicle that performs poorly on road. It's a shame really. People still spend good money to mess up their Jeeps.

It isn't unrealistic to get a vehicle that does both well.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
I agree, itā€™s my first attempt at a ā€œfullā€ build but Iā€™m tearing apart a rather expensive jeep. ā€œ expensive to meā€ so Iā€™m trying to not skimp. I ordered Metal cloaks 3.5GC, a new driveshaft and full steering upgrade. I also ordered a synergy sector-shaft brace even tho itā€™s stronger in the JLsā€.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hello, I have recently begun modding my Jeep and the further I get into it the more I appreciate my Jeep in its stock form. Iā€™ve added a new bumper and winch and it has made the steering feel heavy and my Jeep feel noticeable slower during acceleration. Iā€™ve ordered a lift and already and am now debating on sending it back, and returning the Jeep to its original state. Have you experienced similar thoughts? I bought my Jeep so I could customize it but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is.
My first Jeep was fairly stock, and it was 30 years old...I liked it. I come from a background of customizing cars, and it was liberating to have a leave-it-alone approach. Having auto-crossed and done a couple track days, I've found lightweight is a virtue. I think really hard before adding weight to the Jeep. Replacing the spare tire and carrier with a delete saved me almost 80 lbs. I looked at wheels and tires, but Rubicon stock ones are the lightest out there.
Cheers to enjoying it as stock as you can!!

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
It's probably not worth it. The lift leads to tires, which necessitates wheels, track bars, LCAs, spring perches, geo correction, spare relocation, tailgate reinforcement, speedometer recalibration, full skids, wear and tear, bad gas mileage, perhaps a re-gear. Then fender flares, mud flaps, some lockers, onboard air, bumpers, winch, dual battery, lighting galore, a RTT, a skottle, maxtrax, rotopax, dometic, inReach, nemo stargazer, solo stove, roof racks, awnings, pelican cases, road shower, a youtube channel, Hemi swap, and then finally, divorce.

OP
OP
JAY1941

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
It's probably not worth it. The lift leads to tires, which necessitates wheels, track bars, LCAs, spring perches, geo correction, spare relocation, tailgate reinforcement, speedometer recalibration, full skids, wear and tear, bad gas mileage, perhaps a re-gear. Then fender flares, mud flaps, some lockers, onboard air, bumpers, winch, dual battery, lighting galore, a RTT, a skottle, maxtrax, rotopax, dometic, inReach, nemo stargazer, solo stove, roof racks, awnings, pelican cases, road shower, a youtube channel, Hemi swap, and then finally, divorce.

The effort you went through to be that guy šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ bravo hahaha. Sadly I have quite a few of those checked off already.

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
What he said.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I know the winch completes the look but you could take it off and reinstall before trail days. Saves you around 110-120 net weight on the front? The stock plastic bumper is very light, I think around 12lbs so it is a noticeable change with all the hardware. Your aluminum bumper is about mid-30s so a +20 won't make a difference.

MadChef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th, 2019 4Runner, 2008 350z

Well put. I only have 4000 miles on mine and will probably keep it mostly stock. Itā€™s my third Jeep and I absolutely love the ride. Went with the 2 door 80th anniversary because it has the Sahara suspension. Would look great with bigger tires but would hate to change the handling in any way.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Bravo... My wife would have divorced me about halfway through that list, not at the end!
Sponsored