Sponsored

New Owner - Dealer Should Be Arrested For Attempted Grand Larceny!

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
There’s no beef? I don’t “beef” with people over the internet…this is a discussion among adults.

So, glad you got them to remove the doc fee! As long as you feel comfortable with your purchase and the financial terms you agreed to, then sounds like you’ve been made whole and no problem exists.🙏🏽
Sorry, my beef reference was dealer related not you at all. I just picked ur response cuz i wanted to clarify the situation i had with the stealer. Peace :)
Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Holy shit! I'm pretty satisfied with my life, have done cool things, had/have cool rides, etc.... But damn... After reading about Vetts, hot blondes, "business" trips and all.... I'm sitting here reevaluating my loser life...lmfao!!!
Well done, sir.
I am came out of 64 mo marriage right out of college and it got UGLY. She hired the TOP Divorce lawyer in Dallas. Ugly and I lost everything. Good news was we had nothing, 5 years of marriage and I was Capt in the Army Infantry, gone all the time. They even tried to pin "Abandonment" on me. Thank goodness the Judge has been in the military and he did not let her and her lawyer do it. He understood the life of a junior officer in the infantry.

I stayed single the next 20+ years. No wife, no kids, no alimoney$...we got divorced in '79 and she SUED me for Alimony in '97. Beleive it, she won a $10,000 cash now and $16XX for the rest of her life...WTF>

Turns out her lawyer, same on as the divorce lawyer snuck in a formula to increase her alimony every year. 'cept he was not a MATH major, the formula he used and the court agreed upon. Every time I made more money she got LESS...ROTFLMAO. In year 3 she got zero'd out...how sweet it was.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I am came out of 64 mo marriage right out of college and it got UGLY. She hired the TOP Divorce lawyer in Dallas. Ugly and I lost everything. Good news was we had nothing, 5 years of marriage and I was Capt in the Army Infantry, gone all the time. They even tried to pin "Abandonment" on me. Thank goodness the Judge has been in the military and he did not let her and her lawyer do it. He understood the life of a junior officer in the infantry.

I stayed single the next 20+ years. No wife, no kids, no alimoney$...we got divorced in '79 and she SUED me for Alimony in '97. Beleive it, she won a $10,000 cash now and $16XX for the rest of her life...WTF>

Turns out her lawyer, same on as the divorce lawyer snuck in a formula to increase her alimony every year. 'cept he was not a MATH major, the formula he used and the court agreed upon. Every time I made more money she got LESS...ROTFLMAO. In year 3 she got zero'd out...how sweet it was.
There IS justice in the world!!!
Divorce statues are fucking criminal in many states though..... Especially if the male has a good career.
I've mentioned it here in the past...I am absolutely blown away by guys who lose everything (or anything for that matter) in a divorce then get married AGAIN a couple years later.
It truly IS the definition of insanity.

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about your experience. I love the feeling of a new car purchase before and after the sale is complete. HATE the middle part of dealing with salespeople. I feel dirty after it's over... LOL. They'll double and triple talk you like you're an idiot that can't remember what they said two minutes before or what they agreed to as baseline to get you into the dealership and give you their full court press..... You should drop a note to the folks at Jeep Cares and relate your dealer experience and problem with the gas tank. Then put it behind you and enjoy the Jeep!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I am the happy owner of a 2022 Sahara Unlimited. However, My dealer experience was not good. There were 3 failure points that i want to share I'll try to be brief and just cover highpoints.

1. I called and attempted to negotiate off of the sticker on the phone and was told to come in where I'd likely do better. I went in negotiated a trade and asked for consideration off of the sticker. That's when they dropped bomb #1. I was told no discount and that the car is 15% over over sticker, about $5k. I expressed my dismay and was told "ok we will do sticker." Wow, nice try!!!

2. Fast forward i agreed to pay sticker; they agreed to pay an additional $500 for my trade but added a BS $695 doc fee that i agreed to. I asked for a copy of the bill of sale to document the price. The purchase included financing and i established the rate before I stopped in to close the deal. When i sat with the finance manager she told me what my monthly payment would be which was less than i thought but learned she had me at 72 months; i wanted 48. So she then recalculated the monthly pmnt at 48 months and told me the new number which was about 80 bucks higher than what i had calculated. Fast fwd, she added an additional $1500 doc fee that was removed after i pushed back - honest mistake?? Doubt it!! That's about $6500 bucks they tried to steal!!

3. I would really like opinions on this one. After doing all the paperwork I got in the car and was pleasantly surprised with a full tank of gas and i happily drove off. Two days later i go to the gas station for the first time and the pump was cutting off after about 2 bucks worth of gas. So apparently there is some issue with the fuel sensor that tricks the pump into thinking the tank is full. The dealer hasn't fully diagnosed the cause yet. They are not that close to me (about 45 mins to one hour) so i asked to drop it off and for them to provide a loaner. I was told they don't do loaners. At this point i am hesitant to go back there. I wanted the loaner as ransom to ensure they do the job timely, not make me wait for parts or make me drive there just to diagnose then have me go back again. And as for the problem, I honestly do not believe this defect manifested itself after i took the car instead believing they discovered the issue on the date of delivery and had me finalize the deal and then deal with me afterwards. I plan to go to another dealer to get this fixed - I'm done!

Sorry that was long winded. So u ask why did i not walk after bullet 1? Well the car was priced several thousand $$ lower as it was configured with less options than any other available car in the NY tristate area. It was priced at $48k vs $53-$55k. Thnx for listening. Hopefully your buying experience was better!
We all live and learn…

If a car dealer tells me they’ll have to stuff a toaster-oven up my butt I don’t complain, get grumpy, or try to talk them out of it. I just leave.

If there are surprise fees, I just leave. If they want to run the deal by the manager, I go for a long walk around the dealership and, if they don’t catch me, I leave.

There are hundreds of Jeep dealers, and they make new Jeeps every day. As others have pointed out, it’s easy to buy a new Jeep without getting the toaster-oven.

Sponsored

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
I am really confused. predatory lender, bad dealer but you paid 48 vs 53-55k for the same options at full MSRP???

i have only one word for youfor next time Gupton

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
I am really confused. predatory lender, bad dealer but you paid 48 vs 53-55k for the same options at full MSRP???

i have only one word for youfor next time Gupton
Let me clarify. I paid sticker 48k. There were no other 48k jeep saharas to be found at any dealers neat me. Other saharas had more options and priced between 53-55k. I don't have buyer's remorse and i pretty much foiled their attempts to rob me. It's the rob me part that prompted my rant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Sorry to hear about your experience. I love the feeling of a new car purchase before and after the sale is complete. HATE the middle part of dealing with salespeople. I feel dirty after it's over... LOL. They'll double and triple talk you like you're an idiot that can't remember what they said two minutes before or what they agreed to as baseline to get you into the dealership and give you their full court press..... You should drop a note to the folks at Jeep Cares and relate your dealer experience and problem with the gas tank. Then put it behind you and enjoy the Jeep!
Amen brother. Already enjoying it. So unique to anything I've driven.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
No offense but I’d tend to respect a person more that can save up money and pay cash for a vehicle regardless of costs over someone who makes Bernie maddoff investments and make so called money work for them. Those people generally don’t understand working for your money.
8FB1E0BE-5ED0-4395-A7E7-683B57CAED16.jpeg
A09BA1C9-D2C9-45BF-B633-BF25FED87ADA.jpeg
E8E3C7C0-B0B5-4640-8F6D-878EC7A5743F.jpeg
I feel sorry for them, they have been led down the road of failure. For that to work cars would need to appreciate over time and only a few do.

Top 10 Vehicles With the Highest Depreciation – iSeeCars Study
RankVehicleAverage 5-Year DepreciationAvg $ Difference from MSRP
1Nissan LEAF65.1%$23,666
2BMW i363.1%$32,663
3BMW 7 Series61.5%$63,271
4Maserati Ghibli61.3%$51,659
5BMW X560.3%$41,950
6Jaguar XF59.5%$38,523
7BMW 5 Series59.1%$36,210
8Audi A658.2%$35,393
9Lincoln Navigator L57.7%$44,849
10Volvo S6057.3%$24,956

Here is the reality: The top-of-the-line rigs run about $55k + TT&L etc add 10% to MSRP =$60k on a cash deal. 5 yrs later your car is worth nearly $45k less.

OR buy a Jeep Wrangler

Top 10 Vehicles With the Lowest Depreciation – iSeeCars Study
RankModelAverage 5-Year DepreciationAvg $ Difference from MSRP
1Jeep Wrangler9.2%$2,796
2Jeep Wrangler Unlimited10.5%$3,810
3Porsche 91112.8%$20,710
4Toyota Tacoma13.8%$4,899
5Toyota Tundra19.5%$8,458
6Ford Mustang21.0%$7,280
7Chevrolet Corvette22.7%$17,655
8Chevrolet Camaro23.6%$8,553
9Dodge Challenger24.4%$10,308
10Toyota 4Runner24.6%$10,818

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I would have walked as soon as they said full sticker price. That’s a suckers game, they know it, you should no it. Way too often folks fallen love with the vehicle and “gotta have it now”. When that Happens they dealer takes you for a ride before you get your ride😏

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
If there are surprise fees, I just leave. If they want to run the deal by the manager, I go for a long walk around the dealership and, if they don’t catch me, I leave.
That is my favorite move, when they go "talk to their manager" I disappear and walk around the lot and if I make it to my car going the long way.... bye.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L

So u ask why did i not walk after bullet 1? Well the car was priced several thousand $$ lower as it was configured with less options than any other available car in the NY tristate area.

I can’t help the OP but hopefully others who are reading this and in the process of searching for a vehicle purchase might benefit from the quoted text above. The Jeep in question had a uniqueness that was considered very valuable by the OP.

If getting the best possible price is high on your prioritized list of requirements for your next purchase, be ready to compromise on the exact configuration. An experienced sales person can “smell” right away if your heart is set on the vehicle you are eyeing. They know they can keep pushing you because your threats of walking away don’t seem real.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Walking in alone and wanting that Jeep was the biggest two issues
Bring George Costanza with next time and he'll help you get "the deal"
Jeep Wrangler JL New Owner - Dealer Should Be Arrested For Attempted Grand Larceny! 0ow96y8z9r791

As far as the gas thing goes - the dealership was clearly able to fill it so it doesn't sound like a real issue - sometimes they shut off early.... just squeeze again
Congrats on the new Jeep by the way - we just razz folks on here so don't take anything too seriously 🎃

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
That is my favorite move, when they go "talk to their manager" I disappear and walk around the lot and if I make it to my car going the long way.... bye.
A friend of my mine worked in one of those “system house” dealers for a while. He hated the customer abuse that was designed into the system — all designed to play on average customer psychology and wear them down. They had mandatory “turns” (introduction to another sales person), and then at least a third person (a “manager”) and sometimes a fourth — all of which is designed to draw the process out, fatigue the customer, and allow the customer to “sell themselves” on how much nicer the new vehicle is, and how insignificant that extra $75 or $100 per month will be… It’s awful. Most of the time the salesman “working for you” is just taking a coffee break, not pressing your offer with the manager. They know what they are willing to sell it for, and what they’ll pay for your trade before you even sit down in the sales office.

I always know what I think I should have to pay for a vehicle before I go to the dealer, but sometimes I’m wrong and they’re willing to let me walk away at my price. I’m okay with that. Before I leave I always admit that I don’t have the information they have. I tell them I’ll probably be back to see them if the two other dealers I’m talking to turn down the same offer. :giggle: If they can meet my price they will do it then, because they see us as ignorant sheep waiting for slaughter… they can’t bear the idea of a couple other sales teams having a shot at twisting me into a deal.

I think the key is to not care too much about getting the deal. I tell myself they make new ones every day, so there will always be another opportunity. With this attitude and approach I have had two salesman literally run after me as I was leaving the lot. Once at the Ford dealer and once at the Toyota dealer, about ten years apart.

Fifteen years ago I tried to buy a Dodge 3500 diesel truck from our well-hated local Dodge system house. All I asked them to do was price-match Dave Smith in Idaho, a fantastic high volume dealership . (At the time the highest volume Dodge dealer in the world). The local manager told me the Dave Smith price was a lie and a $1000+ loser for the dealership. Four days later they called me and matched the price. Lying bastards.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It’s awful. Most of the time the salesman “working for you” is just taking a coffee break, not pressing your offer with the manager.
I usually figure that they're having a cigarette out back telling another salesman how they're going to put the screws to me. I figure that the guy in the glass booth has all the pull in the dealership, they put the numbers in the computer and it spits out what the dealership is going to make on the deal. I don't want to be the guy that the salesman buys a round of drinks at the bar from.
Sponsored