Sponsored

New option for front license plate in California.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would have to agree that this idea is a long time coming and a no brainer!!!!

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I honestly don't see the appeal in this product. Whether it's a wrap or a thin metal plate, it still takes away from the aesthetics of the front end on most cars.

And it really doesn't make sense for Jeepers that run a winch...

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I honestly don't see the appeal in this product. Whether it's a wrap or a thin metal plate, it still takes away from the aesthetics of the front end on most cars.

And it really doesn't make sense for Jeepers that run a winch...
Agreed that it doesn't look great. I think it somehow even looks worse than just putting a metal plate on there.

I just installed this holder that attaches to the fairlead and flips up to use the winch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sydwaiz

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
LOL. It's just another option guys, geez. That's why I put it in the CA section since, 1. we are required by law, and 2. ITS A NEW, LEGAL OPTION. Like the article said, it's probably more for sports cars and the like. But I'm sure there are some mall crawlers out there with lots of real estate on their after market bumper. Besides, I'm sure many here have multiple vehicles other than Jeeps that this might work on.

I don't care what you run but since you like to mention what you have, I'm running a Maximus-3 bracket on mine but I would totally use this wrap on my Volvo V90 if I didn't already have holes drilled in.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't care what you run but since you like to mention what you have, I'm running a Maximus-3 bracket on mine but I would totally use this wrap on my Volvo V90 if I didn't already have holes drilled in.
I, too, have the Maximus-3 bracket but according to the chipper that pulled me over in Bishop, that is not a legal way to attach the front license plate either. Couldn't believe he pulled me over for having 20% tint on the front windows...

OP
OP
Sydwaiz

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
I, too, have the Maximus-3 bracket but according to the chipper that pulled me over in Bishop, that is not a legal way to attach the front license plate either. Couldn't believe he pulled me over for having 20% tint on the front windows...
You must be running the Stealth mount that angles it backwards. I'm using the low mount.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I'm running the stealth mount.
I can’t believe he said that wasn’t legal. Wonder how arguable that is.
That’s way better than people that put it inside up on the dash🤷‍♂️

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
States with two plates just need to Elsa (let it go) the front plate requirements already. Today's tech should cover whatever old need there was, hell, there's a camera on you every few feet these days. Maybe suggest it as a money saving idea ... they would only need HALF the plates they now make. What, is the prisoner's union going to object? :LOL:

PS>>> I agree that wrap thing looks a little goofy.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
if its gonna stop me from getting pulled over by smokey, them im down. I couldnt care less what it looks like.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Did you get a fix-it ticket for the front plate?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
At nearly $100 bucks for a sticker, I'll pass and take my chances with a fix-it ticket.

I can’t believe he said that wasn’t legal. Wonder how arguable that is.
That’s way better than people that put it inside up on the dash🤷‍♂️
Totally chickenshit, but CVC 5201 states:
“License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.”

Those types of mounts are designed to allow the plate to swing. Literally does exactly what the law says you can't do.
Sponsored