Sponsored

New option for front license plate in California.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
At nearly $100 bucks for a sticker, I'll pass and take my chances with a fix-it ticket.

Totally chickenshit, but CVC 5201 states:
“License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.”

Those types of mounts are designed to allow the plate to swing. Literally does exactly what the law says you can't do.
I don't think the swinging is the issue. There's an argument to be made that it doesn't necessarily apply here because these mounts don't allow it to swing freely and if anything, it's more of a flipping than a swinging. But there could be issue with the clearly visible and upright elements. I'm with @jaymz though, for $100, I'd just eat the ticket.
Sponsored

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The place I got my Jeep tinted is near work (Downey) but that's pretty far from Eastvale...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm about to just take my front plate off. Here in CO, Teslas seem to get away with no front plate, and I've noticed about 30-40% of the vehicles driving by do not have front plates anymore. They are legally required in CO but seems like nobody really GAF about it.

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I personally have one and love it. I stopped by my local CHP and asked what are my options to display, "anywhere it is fully visible on the front of the vehicle. Regardless it must be mounted or take the 115$ risk, some go years without. This also stuck perfectly to snad texture powdercoat. I also run one on my Hellcat NO HOLES.

LOL. It's just another option guys, geez. That's why I put it in the CA section since, 1. we are required by law, and 2. ITS A NEW, LEGAL OPTION. Like the article said, it's probably more for sports cars and the like. But I'm sure there are some mall crawlers out there with lots of real estate on their after market bumper. Besides, I'm sure many here have multiple vehicles other than Jeeps that this might work on.

I don't care what you run but since you like to mention what you have, I'm running a Maximus-3 bracket on mine but I would totally use this wrap on my Volvo V90 if I didn't already have holes drilled in.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I've been driving without a front license plate for years in Los Angeles and no one seems to care anymore, especially after 2020. The only time you may get a ticket is while parked in one of these big commie cities. I put my front license plate up (on 2 magnets) whenever I need to do so. The sticker has no appeal to me.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Someone got paid big bucks to the the only option.

Q11: I see similar products sold, are they street legal?

A: LPW has been working with the DMV and CHP of Sacramento since 2014 and is the only product of its kind that is in the Alternative Registration Products Pilot Program with the DMV of Sacramento.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Haven’t had a front plate on my trucks, cars or Jeep in 18 years. Never been pulled over… knock on wood. But I try and not give a reason to pull me over for anything else. Most Chp and pd won’t hit you for a plate unless your car or truck looks suspicious in which they pull you over to see wtf is going on with you and your vehicle and if things check out you get hit with a fix it ticket for no plate.