New Ocean Blue Build-- Have concerns over cost

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I was actually hoping somebody would have some familiarity with building a Jeep via a custom shop route to help me know if
124 hours is legit based on everything done on the Jeep or if I was taken to the cleaners by my local Jeep place.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I was actually hoping somebody would have some familiarity with building a Jeep via a custom shop route to help me know if
124 hours is legit based on everything done on the Jeep or if I was taken to the cleaners by my local Jeep place.
124 hours seems high. I have been using a shop to do most of my stuff but not all at once. For me the painting is the mystery of the labor cost. The mechanical stuff is pretty standard. Your labor rate is fine. I have seen in CA up to $120 hr rate. Here in KY the going rate is $75.

Having said that a good paint job, with all the proper prepping can cost a lot. Hard to tell if your job is top notch or just standard. I would say if the job is perfect then 124 hour total is probably ok.

End of the day, who cares. Do you like your rig and their work? If so then just go enjoy the ride.

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
124 hours seems high. I have been using a shop to do most of my stuff but not all at once. For me the painting is the mystery of the labor cost. The mechanical stuff is pretty standard. Your labor rate is fine. I have seen in CA up to $120 hr rate. Here in KY the going rate is $75.

Having said that a good paint job, with all the proper prepping can cost a lot. Hard to tell if your job is top notch or just standard. I would say if the job is perfect then 124 hour total is probably ok.

End of the day, who cares. Do you like your rig and their work? If so then just go enjoy the ride.
You make some good points
I guess never really heard of paint, mechanical, electrical work(labor) for a Jeep costing 23k

I do like the Jeep

In just two days I've gotten a ton of beeps, ppl taking pictures, thumbs up and neighbors stopping by to say what an awesome Jeep

Ppl on other side of traffic going in other direction even flash their brights at me
So that part is pretty cool

Guess it's just something I have to live with at this point

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
If you feel you were taken, you should go back to the dealer. No one on here can legitimately tell you if you got a good deal or not.

It sounds like buyer's remorse, but in the end, if you like your Jeep, and it is what you wanted, learn that next time get a few bids or wait and don't make a 5 figure mistake.

FWIW, that Jeep is definitely an eye catcher, so live it up and have fun!

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
You got hosed. 3800 for powder Coating? Also, should’ve done the bumpers and doors green. That blue doesn’t match.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I would say post your pictures in the build area if that is what you are looking for, you plan on keeping it for a month or so and go on to another build? Have you ever dealt with a dealer or aftermarket shop in the past?? Why act surprised instead of asking for a estimate before you had the work done? Nice Jeep but something doesn't sound right. Complements are free but parts and labor are not, just saying...

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Someone please correct me if I am off here, but shouldn't work like this come with a solid quote that's at least somewhat binding? Sure there might be some additional side-charges, but aren't straight labor costs mostly for smaller or medium-sized jobs?? This was a lot of work, sure, but that's why you make a deal for it all. Most shops charge a flat fee for things like lifts, right?

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Most dealer and other facility's that install major/minor components charge by the hour. Most dealers have a one hour minimum labor rate. I`m not talking about tire rotation, oil changes, window tint, etc. that charge a flat fee for installation.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Dude, that is a lot of work...you want a show jeep, you pay for a show jeep.

You're concerned you got ripped off, but then say, you will just sell it in a month and take the loss, and have another vision built?

I just don't know what to think, but apparently, you have far too much money.

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Dude, that is a lot of work...you want a show jeep, you pay for a show jeep.

You're concerned you got ripped off, but then say, you will just sell it in a month and take the loss, and have another vision built?

I just don't know what to think, but apparently, you have far too much money.
I would only sell to try to get some/all my money back that I put into it.
I would do another build now that I know what goes into it and not go back to that place...and be sure next time to try to get a quote up front for the work that needs to be done so that I don't pay out of the rear end again

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
I would only sell to try to get some/all my money back that I put into it.
I would do another build now that I know what goes into it and not go back to that place...and be sure next time to try to get a quote up front for the work that needs to be done so that I don't pay out of the rear end again
Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
This was obviously not built to see a trail. If you built it to sell you made it too personalized. The 3 colors are a little much for me but I'm conservative. You can't really expect to get your money back on any used vehicle even if you customized it. Also lets face it, someone could go buy a brand new Rubicon vs spending the money for you to break even on your Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited: