Sponsored

New Mopar Ultimate Dana 44 Performance Axles (JPP Ultimate Dana 44 AdvanTEK)

OP
OP

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Since they Ultimate Dana 60 goes for about $5K rear and $7K front I would expect that $4.4K to be a per axle cost. Hence why I would think someone doing this upgrade would just go with the 60.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you understand the extent of the break if you think Artec's skid is going to fix the problem.

***EDIT*** A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words:

yAuZ5k4.jpg

Ya, an Artec skid....that'll fix it. ;)
Oh yeah, I see that happening to JLs everywhere. Must be a dozen threads on it, right?

Looks like something a little bigger than the FAD caused that. Like something that would take up 999 of those thousand words.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I shouldn't have to write an essay on why an axle WITHOUT a gaping hole in it for the collar on a two-piece FAD design doesn't break in half at that junction point, but alas...some people will need that explanation to understand stress risers, bending moments, FMEA and the like.

I don't have time right now for it. Maybe you could fill in? ;)

**EDIT** Oh, and while you're at it, can you also explain how the Artec skid plate for the FAD actuator will keep this sort of breakage from happening, Professor? That would be great. :cwl:
Ok, you convinced me. I'm selling my JL before the axle breaks in half. I'm indebted to you.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't trying to convince you of anything other than the FAD design has a large design flaw.

Will it work for the vast majority of users? Heck ya it will. It's still a decent axle and the reasons FCA went the route they did have already been discussed.

My only beef was: when Jeep decided to release it's super-duper upgrade axle for the Rubicon, it deviated substantially from what should have come with the Rubicon package to begin with. We paid almost $50K for a manufacturer offered package that should be very reliable offroad. I don't think it too much to ask at that price point to give owners the option of ordering this axle over the FAD one for a small upcharge at the time of order/purchase. Now, it's entirely possible that I've read this wrong and FCA is going to offer this as an option on new models, but it doesn't *seem* that way....especially at the price point, as adding 4340 shafts/joints, higher clearance housing with thicker brackets and a 1 piece passenger side axle design shouldn't cost $4200 (estimated).

The fact that it's being sold as a Mopar Performance upgrade just exhibits FCAs attempt to garner larger market share from the aftermarket which the Jeep brand generates through its heritage....which is fine, provided you didn't hold back something on the initial purchase of said vehicle to increase profitability at a later date.
And I still see no evidence of a design flaw. We don't know the back story on the Jeep you showed. I saw JLs all over Moab and never saw or heard of that failure. Time will tell, but you are drawing a pretty extreme conclusion over two alleged failures. Design flaw is a strong term, and there just simply is not enough evidence to support this. For example, is the 8 speed transmission a flawed design if two of them failed? Look around the forum, I'm pretty sure there are more than two. There are all kinds of reasons that thing could have failed, ranging from abuse to an assembly or material defect. Two among tens of thousands does not equal a design flaw. So, I guess, yes, you need to write an essay to back up a claim like that and convince me that it is a flawed design and not something else. This is like showing a flat tire and saying that backs a claim the tire design is flawed. Gonna need more evidence and detail than that.

If you want to create a Jeep whose primary purpose is to rock crawl, then sure, buy the Mopar or other 44's or 60's. For what the Rubicon was designed and intended to do, both on the road and off, even with common modifications, I'm not convinced yet there is an issue. Look at @Kevin8086 and his videos. He's brutalized that Jeep even more than many who will even buy upgraded D44's or even D60's. I haven't seen his break. If it was a design flaw, surely he'd have broken it by now. One pic of a broken Jeep doesn't constitute a pattern in a sample of tens or even hundreds (by now) of thousands of Wranglers, and it certainly gives us no clue as to why it broke. Did the guy jump the Jeep? Did it smack a rock at speed? Was the axle defective? Lots of unknowns here. Maybe you can help us with some detail.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Just spoke to the Mopar guys and got some photos (added to first post). Production will begin in December and availability is expected 2-3 weeks after production start.
Is there a estimate on the cost of one of these bad boys

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
$4200 is the number floating around. It remains to be seen how accurate that will actually be.
So that would include the housing the axles gears ball joints you joints and axles, correct

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
According to the article, yes.

Basically, it's just like your existing axle, but with thicker brackets, a high clearance center and HD diff cover, 4340 (not 300M) shafts (and one would assume joints), locker and gear ratio MINUS the weak link of the FAD actuator and two piece axle shafts. Pretty certain you are re-using your aluminum knuckles.

I see no mention of a rear axle.

At that price point, even though one has to buy a locker and have gears installed....the ProRock44 from Dynatrac looks to be competitive.[/QUOTE

Yeah the prorock looks nice.

The UD 44 has thicker tube wall as well but same diameter so that means hardly any strength increase in reality

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If I’m swapping axles either before or after I break The stock axles I’m definitely going Dynatrac. Dynatrac just has what I need. I just haven’t decided if I push the stock until it breaks or swap in something before I’m stranded. Will I ever break them? Decisions, decisions.

Sponsored

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
If I’m swapping axles either before or after I break The stock axles I’m definitely going Dynatrac. Dynatrac just has what I need. I just haven’t decided if I push the stock until it breaks or swap in something before I’m stranded. Will I ever break them? Decisions, decisions.
Your JLUR proved to me that the Rubicon package is well worth the money. Nothing is unbreakable but you have done some awesome stuff and drove it home.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
D
Your JLUR proved to me that the Rubicon package is well worth the money. Nothing is unbreakable but you have done some awesome stuff and drove it home.
definately have and I love it. I’m kind of curious how long it’ll take the abuse. Lol
Still deciding if it’s worth the wait or upgrade after I break it. I will break it at some point.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
D

definately have and I love it. I’m kind of curious how long it’ll take the abuse. Lol
Still deciding if it’s worth the wait or upgrade after I break it. I will break it at some point.
At the rate your tires grow, you should rock a Dynatrac 80 rear, and 60 front. I mean, as long as i’m spending your money. :)

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
D

We are relying on you to find breakage limit and let us know.

Jaddie

First Name
Jaddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Odyssey
I'm new to Jeeps, so please forgive my elementary questions.

What do the numbers 44 and 60 indicate?

What number does the Rubicon come with?

Is the advantage of such a part its strength against rocks?
Sponsored