Sponsored

New Member, Saying Thanks, Introducing my Farout, & Couple Questions

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
welcome, and congrats!
i share your admiration for how well the 8HP75 works with the EcoDiesel. it might even get a little better as the transmission 'learns' your driving habits.

1- yes, the fuel gauge is a little funky at the top, but i don't remember noticing that big of a delay on mine. but who cares when you still have a couple of hundred miles to go after that first hundred? 😄
you could use the Miles to Go feature; just set that up in one of the corners of your EVIC.

2- nothing noticed with my Artec belly pan, but i don't have any way to monitor. all i can tell you is that in the first 20K+ miles i've never seen any messages from the Emissions system.

3- mine's a Willys; no annoying holes in the hood. i've seen the oil temps come up a bit when running for hours at speed and altitude in high (95º+) temps, but it doesn't seem to have ever caused a problem. running at low speeds is a complete non-issue; no temps rising at all.

4- no experience there; i've only ever used the Blue DEF (and it doesn't seem to ask for much of it in my typical use pattern).

5- TrailRax Pak Rax

6- sounds like a decent plan. wherever you can get a decent price, as long as it's the right stuff.

7- again, Willys here, so no experience with that; partly because i didn't want that specific problem. 😉
but i've seen a few threads in here where people have changed out their dashes and a friend of mine has done it, and apparently it's not that (relatively) expensive. others have just taken theirs out to wrap or cover them. search around, and you should find something on it.

as for fuel, at the risk of dropping gasoline (not diesel!) on the fire, as a previous diesel owner you probably already know to pay close attention to the stickers on the pumps these days. i would suggest that most anything with between 2-20% BioDiesel (NOT "BioFuel"; know the difference!) will provide all the lubricity your pump wants.

<snip>

1. If you top off the tank, normal to go 107 or more miles before the fuel gauge drops at all?
2. If you have full skids, any change in DPF behavior from having more heat trapped up under the body?
3. Has anyone modified the hood vents (we did this on JKs) to allow heat to escape through?
4. Any good or bad experience using the Mopar gallon jug DEF over any other main brand? This is my first DEF diesel.
5. Where do you store your Rotopax 2 gal diesel cans for long trips?
6. I will only use real Mopar fuel and oil filters (bought the 7yr, 125k Mopar Added Care+ warranty for $1,800) and was going to use Geno's garage. Have a better suggestion?
7. Where is the best place to source a swap for the awful red dash plastic, I like the 'leather' one from the Sahara trim?
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Good Evening,

I joined just a few minutes ago and want to say thank you to this group. I am a long-time member on Wranglerforum.com as Mudman1. My trusty JKRR 6spd with 122,300ish miles was traded in last week on a 2023 JLUR Farout. It was the ability to read this section of this Forum that helped me make my decision, along with 'a few hours' of Googling. I had about 20 data points I considered when ditching a perfectly good JK that was almost paid off. So far with about 480 miles on the clock, I am really smiling hard like a kid, at 40, who just got his first mountain bike. At least, when I was a kid, that was a huge thing.

I was early to test drive it, had about 3.5 hours and 27 miles on it at a local dealer. Got it below MSRP, over invoice, but I am satisfied with the deal that way though I think the manager there lied to me on what he'd put my JK on the lot for because right now the stock picture is $3,000 more than he said. That is okay, karma is a thing.

At under 200 miles on the clock she was in 4LO climbing up a long mountain road. This is my 5th Jeep and my 5th diesel vehicle though it is the first automatic. I do wish they offered a 6spd but the engineers seem to have gotten the auto trans right as it does what I want it to a quickly. Man did I miss the torque on the low end. Granted my 4.10 JK did not struggle but this is just effortless.

On order or arrived today, based on my own knowledge plus reading the great content on here, I have the ARTEC DEF skid plate, Trailgater (loved it on my JK), sill plate plastic guards, Warn VR10S Evo, AEV jack base + floor mount, Epic gunmetal fairlead, Weathertech vent shades (front only, don't like the rear clips), Maximus 3 classic hoop, light mounts, plate bracket (loved this stuff on my JK), cell phone holder, Fishbone rear fender storage bin, Mopar A pillar light mounts, the rear cup holders to replace the useless shallow trays, and a few other things. Next month will be some ASFIR skids for the front and fuel filter.

Either Sunday or next Friday I will rent a U-haul 6x12 w/ ramp to do a few hours of highway to break in the rear axle and engine under load. My utility trailer was bought with my JK (yes, 2 door) in mind (FLOE Cargomax 5x8) so at 290 lbs it won't seat the rings.

If you've made it this far, I thank you for your attention span. I have a few questions:

1. If you top off the tank, normal to go 107 or more miles before the fuel gauge drops at all?
2. If you have full skids, any change in DPF behavior from having more heat trapped up under the body?
3. Has anyone modified the hood vents (we did this on JKs) to allow heat to escape through?
4. Any good or bad experience using the Mopar gallon jug DEF over any other main brand? This is my first DEF diesel.
5. Where do you store your Rotopax 2 gal diesel cans for long trips?
6. I will only use real Mopar fuel and oil filters (bought the 7yr, 125k Mopar Added Care+ warranty for $1,800) and was going to use Geno's garage. Have a better suggestion?
7. Where is the best place to source a swap for the awful red dash plastic, I like the 'leather' one from the Sahara trim?

Here are some pictures. Thanks in advance!!
20230317_121124.jpg
20230318_114048.jpg
20230318_141758.jpg
20230318_140403.jpg
20230318_110940.jpg
20230318_130435.jpg
20230318_125600.jpg
20230320_191839.jpg
20230320_191243.jpg
11NOV2022 Packwood (19).jpg
20230320_192205.jpg
20230319_144311.jpg
Welcome x20 or whatever we're up to. Nice jeep.

1. Yes, it's normal to go quite a ways if you fully top off the tank.
  2. I have the Metal Cloak skids. I did not notice any change in DPF behavior.
  3. I have not modified my hood vents. I also don't see well above normal temps in my engine. It is important to keep in mind that this engine is designed to run hotter than many gas engines. This is for emissions. Running hot reduces soot. Oil temps in the 220s when you're running up a grade are normal and nothing to worry about. Even getting into the 230s is nothing to be concerned about.
  4. Pretty much DEF is DEF. There's a standard that all DEF manufacturers have to meet. As long as it's fresh enough, it doesn't really matter what DEF you use.
  5. N/A since I don't run extra fuel. I get 400+ miles on a tank on the highway and I'm not off road long enough to need to supplement my fuel.
  6. Nothing wrong with using Mopar parts. Lots of places have them so shop around for the best price. Keep in mind that there have been supply chain issues and sometimes it's hard to find them in stock. I keep a supply at the house so I'm ready ahead of time.
  7. Besides buying a new replacement, it's not hard to find someone who is willing to swap their stock non-rubicon dash plastic for yours. It's relatively easy to do the swap in an hour or two.