Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Hello Folks,

I'm new to the forum and new to Jeep.

In the past (prior to 2008), I've had Trailbalzers, Tahoe's etc but in 2008 I ordered a new 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe. I live in Orchard Park NY and we get a fair amount of snow. The BMW with Blizzak's is really awesome in the snow but it's still a car.

6 years ago I started driving a Maserati GranTurismo as my DD 6 months a year and the BMW became my winter car.

I'm a sports car guy (have Ferrari's) so the Jeep will be a very new experience for me. I'm not replacing the sports cars, I'm just looking to use the Jeep as my winter car, Say Nov 1st until May 1st +/- a couple weeks. Of course, it would come in handy as a back up car and something to haul stuff with. So the Jeep would replace the now tired BMW.

I've got a few questions and I thank you all in advance.

1) Does anyone know if the 2020 orders are being taken with the V6 eTorque? My dealer tells me "no" but frankly I know they are looking to move 2019 inventory so not sure I trust that answer. I've driven the 2.0L and the V6 and the 2.0L has more pep (not surprised given the turbo) but I'm a little bothered with a 4 cylinder in a truck.

2) For 2019, with the optional LED package, are the head lights LED? (I think no?). With the 2020 headlights be LED?

I've decided to get one for sure, so now I just need to decided on a 2019 or 2020.

Here is my config based on the 2019:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...WHG,CL,SDU,UAG,DHP,ADE,HT3,XBM,X9,PX8,28G,APA

Thank you all in advance.

-Dave
Since you live on the upper northeast and winters can be brutal, a little advice, have it undercoated. Don't let the dealer do it. They will overcharge you an not do the insides of the doors or door sills. Find a stand alone shop that does Undercoating or a some used to say Z-Barting. It will prevent you Jeep from rusting out prematurely as well as your brake lines and fuel lines.
Sponsored

leolo222

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does anyone have comments / opinions of the 2.0L Turbo vs the current V6?
Picked up our Sahara Unlimited with 2.0L Turbo about a month ago and am pleasantly surprised by the pickup from a stop and highway cruising. Haven't wished for more power yet. The eTorque really does give it some kick until the turbo spools up. My other vehicles are a RAM 1500 with 5.7L and a 2008 Vette with a 6.2L, so I was really hesitant about the 2.0L !

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
1) Does anyone know if the 2020 orders are being taken with the V6 eTorque? My dealer tells me "no" but frankly I know they are looking to move 2019 inventory so not sure I trust that answer. I've driven the 2.0L and the V6 and the 2.0L has more pep (not surprised given the turbo) but I'm a little bothered with a 4 cylinder in a truck.
Hello Dave,

There are quite a few orders in for the 2020 Sahara with the V6 eTorque. You can see a few (for the ones that are publicly tracking) either in the tracking orders thread or on this site: https://cryptostickers.net/default?page=20501 That being said, I noticed that while there are plenty on order (mine is one!), they are still in a 'scheduling' status and the builds have not started on the production line (if anyone knows why, I'd love to know!). I've been told by Jeep chat that they are waiting for parts to be available, but no further details.

If you are getting a 2020 Sahara (which I agree with your choice considering the use - northeast winter driving primarily), and want the automatic transmission, you have no choice but the 2.0 eTorque, or the v6 eTorque. The only way you can get the v6 without eTorque is to get a manual transmission (in the Sahara).

In terms of engine 'simplicity', I read a lot of comments comparing the two - in my opinion the complexity difference between eTorque/non eTorque is not huge - non eTorque has a second battey, uses an alternator, and uses the standard starter motor for the start/stop system, where the eTorque uses a higher voltage second battery, a generator instead of an alternator, and uses the belt driven generator in addition to a traditional starter for the start/stop system (traditional starter is only used for cold start). There is much more complexity comparing the turbo/direct inject 2.0 vs. the pentastar v6. Direct inject small displacement forced induction engines are efficient, but more complicated.

In terms of performance, as most likely no one has driven the v6 eTorque in the Jeep yet (it does exist in a Ram pickup), there's really no saying how it will feel compared to the 2.0. Off the line, the eTorque could make it feel more peppy than the non eTorque V6, but after that, most likely will feel the same as the existing v6 in the rest of the power range (unless they are also tuning it differently than previous). As Jeep hasn't published any 2020 performance numbers - we'll have to wait and see.

One last suggestion, for the intended use you mentioned - if it was me I'd definitely go with selectrac (full time 4WD), and the anti-spin differential - that should be the perfect jeep setup for "set it and forget it" northeast winter driving. Just my 2c.

Enjoy it!

-Spaghettipie

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
Hello Spaghettipie,

Thank you for the awesome post.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hello Dave,

One last suggestion, for the intended use you mentioned - if it was me I'd definitely go with selectrac (full time 4WD), and the anti-spin differential - that should be the perfect jeep setup for "set it and forget it" northeast winter driving. Just my 2c.

Enjoy it!

-Spaghettipie
Totally agree with the above. SelecTrac + ASD for mixed wintery driving.

Sponsored

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have a fully loaded 2019 Sahara with the 2.0L turbo and love it. Surprise a lot of car,s when I take off from a stop light. I drove both the 3.6 and the 2 liter and really liked the additional torque on the 2 much more that the 3.6. That's an advantage both on and off road.

Moonlight_Ken

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGER UNLIMITED
Ditto here on the 2.0. Love it and no regrets. I agree with previous posts... LED group is a must have. Really really see the difference at night. One thing I ordered on mine is the Anti Collision/Adaptive Cruise. I felt this was a must have after driving my brother in laws Subaru. If you drive country roads it's a big relief and reduction in "human stress" when you get people that poke along and you can not pass.

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
I agree with the many posts regarding the love for the 2.0... I don't have experience with the one in the Jeep, but I have one in an Audi (2.0, direct inject, turbo). It was leaps ahead of the 3.0 v6 I had previously in terms of performance and economy. It never had the 'smoothness' of the v6, but it has the torque and the 'get up and go'.

Personally, I ticked the 3.6 option for the Jeep vs. the 2.0 because I tend to keep my cars a long time - I find something I'd be happy to drive & not get bored with, load it up so there aren't any blank switches staring at me making me feel like I need to upgrade, and anticipate that after the warranty/extended warranty is over, I will have to spend some money on maintenance to keep it reliable. With my 2.0 (in the Audi), I had carbon buildup issues requiring cleaning (always use top-tier fuel, but that and fuel additives don't really help with that as at least in Audi's design, fuel never passes over the valves, so they never get 'washed'). Then I had injector failures (the injectors need precision accuracy, but operate in an extremely violent environment). One of my injectors failed 'open', dumped fuel in the cylinder causing pre-detonation, breaking the electrode off a sparkplug, and blasting a hole out of an exhaust valve. As most shops have 'technicians' that replace, and not 'mechanics' that fix... I ended up replacing the head. So long story short (ok, kind of still long)... for me planning on owning/keeping a small displacement, direct inject, turbocharged engine longer than the warranty causes a bit of hesitation. But my hesitation may be totally unfounded, YMMV!

If I wasn't planning on keeping/passing on the JL past it's warranty... I would have picked the 2.0 box with no issue.

-Spaghettipie

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Hello Folks,

I'm new to the forum and new to Jeep.

In the past (prior to 2008), I've had Trailbalzers, Tahoe's etc but in 2008 I ordered a new 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe. I live in Orchard Park NY and we get a fair amount of snow. The BMW with Blizzak's is really awesome in the snow but it's still a car.

6 years ago I started driving a Maserati GranTurismo as my DD 6 months a year and the BMW became my winter car.

I'm a sports car guy (have Ferrari's) so the Jeep will be a very new experience for me. I'm not replacing the sports cars, I'm just looking to use the Jeep as my winter car, Say Nov 1st until May 1st +/- a couple weeks. Of course, it would come in handy as a back up car and something to haul stuff with. So the Jeep would replace the now tired BMW.

I've got a few questions and I thank you all in advance.

2) For 2019, with the optional LED package, are the head lights LED? (I think no?). With the 2020 headlights be LED?

I've decided to get one for sure, so now I just need to decided on a 2019 or 2020.

Here is my config based on the 2019:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...WHG,CL,SDU,UAG,DHP,ADE,HT3,XBM,X9,PX8,28G,APA

Thank you all in advance.

-Dave
You may want to consider a hardtop or both tops since this will mainly be a winter car. Ditto on anti spin and and Trac Lock. Per others on this site, the Led head lights will not melt snow that accumulates as they are a cool light. I also drove both the V6 and turbo and although the turbo is quicker I opted for the V6. I considered the fact that it’s a Jeep and the V6 has been a good engine. I run high test in my Beemer and wife’s Audi but now use regular in my Jeep.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Ugh....now you guys have me thinking I should get the V6. My primary use will be a reliable vehicle for 6 months of the year during winter months. Covered under warranty is fine but being stuck at the side of the road or having the car in the shop is less than fun.

So, let's confuse matters more - what do you folks think about the upcoming V6 e-torque? Same complexity as the 2.0L?
I wouldn’t touch it, basic V6 will more than suffice. I have over 4000 long trip miles on my 2019 V6. Some of those locations didn’t have what is considered high test fuel. In addition, as much as I enjoy my Jeep, the build quality and engineering is not the greatest. Forgot to add, this is my 7th Jeep dating back to 1973. That doesn't Include 1960’s Marine Corps Jeep’s I drove and not for fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t touch it, basic V6 will more than suffice. I have over 4000 long trip miles on my 2019 V6. Some of those locations didn’t have what is considered high test fuel. In addition, as much as I enjoy my Jeep, the build quality and engineering is not the greatest. Forgot to add, this is my 7th Jeep dating back to 1973. That doesn't Include 1960’s Marine Corps Jeep’s I drove and not for fun.
Well, right now if I order a 2020 with 8-speed auto (Sahara) I will have only the choice of the 2.0L Turbo (non eTorque) or the V6 with eTorque. So, unless I can locate a 2019 with the exact spec I want, I think I will be getting the V6 eTorque. I just can't wrap my brain around a 4 cylinder in a nearly 5000 pound truck.

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, right now if I order a 2020 with 8-speed auto (Sahara) I will have only the choice of the 2.0L Turbo (non eTorque) or the V6 with eTorque.
Just small correction - for the 2020 Sahara, the 2.0l DI Turbo is also an eTorque. But only on the Sahara.

-Spaghettipie

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just small correction - for the 2020 Sahara, the 2.0l DI Turbo is also an eTorque. But only on the Sahara.

-Spaghettipie
Ops - sorry, you are correct.