First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
Wish I had the proximity on mine. Did not want to deal with the BSG so went 3.6. Jeep is not offering the 2.0 in the Gladiator which I now consider a clue.
Second on the proximity. Had it on my crappy loaner and loved it. But as for the 2.0 in the gladiator, Chrysler said it was due to possible overheating when towing. I don't disagree they might've had other possible problems with that motor though
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Second on the proximity. Had it on my crappy loaner and loved it. But as for the 2.0 in the gladiator, Chrysler said it was due to possible overheating when towing. I don't disagree they might've had other possible problems with that motor though
I imagine this is the case. The fans do run quite a bit in the heat. I can imagine it getting pretty damn hot in there with almost 8k behind it. Iā€™m sure they could have found a better way to cool it off, but with the diesel coming why offer it.

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
Ugh....now you guys have me thinking I should get the V6. My primary use will be a reliable vehicle for 6 months of the year during winter months. Covered under warranty is fine but being stuck at the side of the road or having the car in the shop is less than fun.

So, let's confuse matters more - what do you folks think about the upcoming V6 e-torque? Same complexity as the 2.0L?

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Ugh....now you guys have me thinking I should get the V6. My primary use will be a reliable vehicle for 6 months of the year during winter months. Covered under warranty is fine but being stuck at the side of the road or having the car in the shop is less than fun.

So, let's confuse matters more - what do you folks think about the upcoming V6 e-torque? Same complexity as the 2.0L?
In theory it would be the same BSG as the 2.0...

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In theory it would be the same BSG as the 2.0...
That's what I was thinking.....

I guess I should just get an order moving with a standard V6.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
That's what I was thinking.....

I guess I should just get an order moving with a standard V6.

Thanks for the help, guys!
That's what I'd do if I had a chance to get another! But you're welcome. Hope you enjoy it

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
In all honesty the LEDs are not a "must have" by any means. Sure, they're really nice, but they blind oncoming traffic and don't run hot enough to melt snow off your headlights. That's a pretty big negative living in the northeast to go with the asinine price increase.

If the stock headlights were the JKs, I'd see the justification for the LEDs. The stock JL lights are much improved over the JK though and work just fine.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

I wouldnā€™t put too much stock in one problematic vehicle. If you like the turbo get it. It will be just as dependable as the V6 for what youā€™ll use it if for. At 50 k Iā€™m not really worried too much about an extra 1k for the BSG.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The Turbo may be a little peppier than the V6, but compared to what this guy is used to driving, they are both going feel like dogshit.

Edit: I wasn't going to say this but now I will. I hope it doesn't come off the wrong way. Why are you buying a Wrangler? You are not going to use it off-road or in top-down situations. It doesn't sound like you are going to mod it. In your use case it is (1) Not necessarily any better in the snow than a lot of other vehicles (2) Will ride worse than a lot of other options (3) Will not have the same quality in the cabin as other vehicles you can afford (4) Will be a lot louder than pretty much anything else (5) Has less powerful engine options than a lot of other SUVs and crossovers (6) does not have the same reputation for quality as other vehicles you can afford, etc etc.

If you want a Wrangler, get one. I love mine. But I don't have a garage full of luxury european cars.

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, itā€™s a very fair question and no, it didnā€™t come off wrong.

I always loved the Hummer H1. Not too practical but I love the tank concept.

In 96 I had a 2 door trailblazer. Thatā€™s what started this. I was looking for a 2 door SUV and Jeep is the only one.

I really like the tank look. I like the ground clearance. Actually, I find the interior pretty darn nice.

So, for a winter car or an occasional use summer car to haul stuff, this appeals to me the most. Other SUVā€™s do nothing for me.

I work a lot, 12 hour days M-F then another 12-15 across the weekend. If I free up, trail riding could be fun but thatā€™s not my priority.

I own an exotic car interior restoration company and we are so busy my head is spinning.

For those interested, www.stickyrxrs.com

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So, itā€™s a very fair question and no, it didnā€™t come off wrong.

I always loved the Hummer H1. Not too practical but I love the tank concept.

In 96 I had a 2 door trailblazer. Thatā€™s what started this. I was looking for a 2 door SUV and Jeep is the only one.

I really like the tank look. I like the ground clearance. Actually, I find the interior pretty darn nice.

So, for a winter car or an occasional use summer car to haul stuff, this appeals to me the most. Other SUVā€™s do nothing for me.

I work a lot, 12 hour days M-F then another 12-15 across the weekend. If I free up, trail riding could be fun but thatā€™s not my priority.

I own an exotic car interior restoration company and we are so busy my head is spinning.

For those interested, www.stickyrxrs.com
Thatā€™s cool. I understand the looks of a Wrangler are very appealing and 2-door SUVs are a rarity until the Bronco comes out.

I assume you know, but there is no 2-door Sahara.

I usually recommend the Grand Cherokee trailhawk for someone with your needs looking to get a Jeep, but if the boxy, aggressive styling is what is appealing to you than the grand Cherokee probably wonā€™t do it for you.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hey Dave - thanks for this and also, thank you to the others - all very solid advice. I do appreciate that the turbo has more stuff that can go wrong but I felt the same when test driving them that the turbo had more pep. Being a car guy, and a sports car guy, this is rather important to me as I'm coming from a pretty fast bench mark.

Ha on the Ferrari's. If you are ever in this area, look me up - at a min, I will give you a ride in the F Car of Maserati :)
Hello Dave, as a current and past BMW owner (other car is a 230 msport vert, estoril with white guts) anyway 1. Donā€™t expect Jeep dealerships to be as ā€˜helpfulā€™ as BMW ones. TBH they are f%cking terrible in comparison. I have not owned a Ferrari, but plenty of sporty cars, the JL is not anything like your Ferrari or that 335. It drives like a box truck comparably, but i have had a lot of fun in my JL. It is equally fun as the sporty ones, just a different type of fun. First time you climb a rock and or get the JL muddy as hell on a trail you will understand the difference :)

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really though, that's pretty cool.
Thank you. Yes, it's a lot of fun but we are so busy that I don't have much time to myself.

I assume you know, but there is no 2-door Sahara.

I usually recommend the Grand Cherokee trailhawk for someone with your needs looking to get a Jeep, but if the boxy, aggressive styling is what is appealing to you than the grand Cherokee probably wonā€™t do it for you.
Yes, I started off with the 2-door in mind and realized that the 4 door just makes better sense. The longer WB will drive better and having this to haul stuff on occasion is certainly going to be better with the 4 door version given the extra room. And, the 4 door still looks bitch'in so I'm good with that. None of the typical SUV do anything for me. I love the high ground clearance of the Jeep and the overall styling. I think the interior is very nice too with plenty of features to keep me very happy, especially in winter. I really like the security of knowing it's unlikely I will ever get stuck. Even if I only need that 2-3 times per season.

Hello Dave, as a current and past BMW owner (other car is a 230 msport vert, estoril with white guts) anyway 1. Donā€™t expect Jeep dealerships to be as ā€˜helpfulā€™ as BMW ones. TBH they are f%cking terrible in comparison. I have not owned a Ferrari, but plenty of sporty cars, the JL is not anything like your Ferrari or that 335. It drives like a box truck comparably, but i have had a lot of fun in my JL. It is equally fun as the sporty ones, just a different type of fun. First time you climb a rock and or get the JL muddy as hell on a trail you will understand the difference :)
So when I did the test drives, the only thing I really did not like was the body roll. So, I just need to understand that this is not a car and enjoy it for what it is. If I have time, I would like to do some trails. So, the interest is there, just not sure when.

I'd like to thank you all for great posts and help. Some really cool guys here that have provided me some very solid advice. Cheers! :beer:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Car and Driver. Independent testing. The performance between the two engines is within tenths of a second and both have pros and cons. The V6 is not a dog. The 4cylinder has more torque while you are in boost. Outside of boost the V6 felt stronger at least based on my test drive.

V6
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Braking, 70-0 mph: 176 ft

4cyl
C/D TEST RESULTS
Braking, 70ā€“0 mph: 194 ft
Thats a big difference....guessing the 4cyl is packing a few more pounds than the v6.
Sponsored