New Lift - drive shaft broke - need your opinion please

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Any shop owners here, would this be a reasonable ask?
I'm no shop owner, but anything that broke from the shops negligence should be covered. It's not like you kept driving after knowing it was damaged.
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Any shop owners here, would this be a reasonable ask?
I don't think it is reasonable to take the vehicle to the stealer and then make the other shop pay for it.
It IS reasonable to take it to the original shop and make them fix everything. If they left off a nut and that damaged something else then they should repair that too.
And not to mention just about any reasonable independent shop is more capable than the stealer.
Now if the original shop refuses to repair everything, you have to decide how you want to get it repaired and whether you want to get a lawyer involved.

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

Random Question. A bit after I installed my MC kit I was wondering if the new yoke was aluminum. My memory was that it was pretty light, but it struck me as strange to make it out of aluminum since I thought that would be introducing a weak link.
Am I crazy?

They forgot the nut or forgot to tighten the nut on the flange.

60308306295__7906ABE4-DDFA-40B5-B0ED-A8FB63B42461 2.JPG

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

First of all document everything. You appear to be doing that with pics. You really need to go back to your shop that did the work first before you engage with anyone else and/or attempt to fix it.

If you modify it, you give them an excuse.

Seeing now additional posts on collateral damage that potentially risks further damage, I probably would not drive it and would talk to them again about how they will make this right.

If you can, measure the driveshaft or find a serial/model number on it and contact MC and see if you can confirm the part is correct with them.

Don't rush into action before understanding the situation and who is going to do what.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This mess is a perfect example of why I always recommend having the shop supply both parts and labour if they are doing an install. If there’s any kind of issue at all, it’s on them since they supplied everything.
In this specific incident, they are blaming MC but my money says MC will claim (rightfully so) the shop for installation error.

I can only remember ever supplying parts to get installed and that was new e-brake cables for my Ram pickup. I had every intention of installing them myself but had the truck in the shop for a bunch of other work so asked them to install the cables while they had it.

Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Based on your origional pictures there is no need to go down a rabbit hole of 'wrong part' etc.... Its not the wrong DS.

It is clear that the pinion nut is gone, there is ZERO explanation for that other than shop error. Since the shaft only spins when in 4h or 4l, there is no way to have discovered this earlier.

The root problem is a $8 fix (new nut) unless other damage from the flyaway shaft is visable.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
The only thing I'll add is if you take it somewhere else to have a repair done, there's basically zero chance of being able to force the original shop to pay for that repair.

Depending on the shop, you have a reasonable chance of making them correct the situation, using their labor.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
This mess is a perfect example of why I always recommend having the shop supply both parts and labour if they are doing an install. If there’s any kind of issue at all, it’s on them since they supplied everything.
This is sound advice. Order from the supplier if you're planning on installing it yourself. Otherwise, have the shop obtain the parts to be installed directly.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I was probably 18 miles into my trip when I took the exit I put the car in 4H, it’s been raining a lot and the back kicked out.
Why would you put extra stress on the entire driveline by going into 4H? I can tell you from years of ice racing, unless you have a good AWD system(sub or audi), the lock in the xfer case makes you less stable. You're forcing a wheel to lose static friction by forcing it to slip.

Granted it's rated for 4H in rain, but there's no benefit other than beating someone off the line.

I don't think it is reasonable to take the vehicle to the stealer and then make the other shop pay for it.
It IS reasonable to take it to the original shop and make them fix everything. If they left off a nut and that damaged something else then they should repair that too.
And not to mention just about any reasonable independent shop is more capable than the stealer.
I'm guessing they will fix everything.

Now if the original shop refuses to repair everything, you have to decide how you want to get it repaired and whether you want to get a lawyer involved.
That's a slam dunk for a good atty.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Based on your origional pictures there is no need to go down a rabbit hole of 'wrong part' etc.... Its not the wrong DS.

It is clear that the pinion nut is gone, there is ZERO explanation for that other than shop error. Since the shaft only spins when in 4h or 4l, there is no way to have discovered this earlier.

The root problem is a $8 fix (new nut) unless other damage from the flyaway shaft is visable.
This… 100%
Period, end of discussion.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is sound advice. Order from the supplier if you're planning on installing it yourself. Otherwise, have the shop obtain the parts to be installed directly.
Or... and what I have done... is coordinate it ahead of time. It's called BFE (buyer furnished equipment) in some circles.

A reputable shop working with you and a reputable manufacturer should not have a big problem resolving an issue obviously due to the modification.

I know I'm going off topic a bit. I still say go back to the shop and get it worked out there before doing anything else other than to independently check out their claim that it is the wrong driveshaft. Put that to bed.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ask him why he installed it if it was the wrong size.
There are some shops that only do a good job if you buy the parts through them.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Those are the shops you don't do business.
I meant Jeep dealers.

Pretty sure independent shops will install whatever you give them, though I wonder if they would have plausible deniability if something goes wrong.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Several issues here:
  • Even if old parts are junk, the shop should return them to the customer if asked.
  • If DS was wrong size, it should not have been installed.
  • Don’t use 4WD on wet pavement.
  • Carefully inspect DS and associated components and make sure this was not caused by making a tight turn in 4WD on pavement.
  • If not caused by above, which is possible but doesn’t appear to be, and heat exchanger is leaking, have the shop have it tow it back.
  • Give the shop that performed the work the opportunity to make this right, before taking it elsewhere. If you don’t give the shop a chance to fix this, you will never get your money out of them. Make sure the shop owner or manager inspects the work before you get it back.
Sponsored