New Lift and suspension = stiff ride???

Markjeepbenz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JL unlimited
Hello, I just had theraflex ST3 3.5” lift kit installed and Falcon SP2 2.1 monotube shocks on my brand new 2021 JLU with 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well.
Driving the Jeep now feels very stiff when I hit speed bumps etc it seems to be way stiffer than before. Is this normal? Does it adjusts and change with time?
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Yes. Isn't it great? Exactly what a Jeep should be. Would you rather drive a Corolla, Camry or Bronco? I'd rather have stiff over soft and squishy anytime.

Last edited:

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Those Falcon shocks run on the stiff side. You can switch to the Fox mono's if you want that stock feel back. Otherwise, if you plan to offroad it, keep the Falcon's.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All kidding aside, the Teraflex kit was intended for that particular ride due to those Falcon shocks. There are softer shocks available such as the Fox shocks found in the Mopar kit as just mentioned. There are even adjustable shocks such as Rancho, Vertex, King and even the Falcon 3 series.

The really cool thing about Jeep suspensions is that you can always tune it to your liking. You just have to find that sweet spot you're looking for. Maybe adjustable shocks will give you a range of settings based on your on/off road intentions.

I personally have the Fox shocks and would prefer something a little stiffer. If you intend to off-road much or even at all, I suspect that you'll really like your setup. I'm a little jealous and may move up to those Falcons eventually.

To each their own. Keep on researching or experimenting until you find what you're really after. It's only money. However, it's certainly a great excuse to keep playing and fiddling with your Jeep. That's the majority of the fun and exactly what makes these Wranglers so darn cool. Never a dull day.

Jay

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
Falcons are notoriously stiff, I have heard some people run the two door versions in their JLU's. I have the adjustables and share your opinion.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Falcons are notoriously stiff, I have heard some people run the two door versions in their JLU's. I have the adjustables and share your opinion.
I agree with others noting the Falcons tend to be firm. My brother has them on his JL, and I much prefer his handling to mine with the Mopar lift and Fox shocks. When I accelerate the body rock to the rear is noticeable.

Have you checked to confirm your Falcon’s are set on the softest setting?

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
I agree with others noting the Falcons tend to be firm. My brother has them on his JL, and I much prefer his handling to mine with the Mopar lift and Fox shocks. When I accelerate the body rock to the rear is noticeable.

The 3.3 SP2's have an additional adjustment that can be made for "cold weather" by rotating the body of the shock in addition to the two stage adjustable knob. I have utilized all of these.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I also just had the Teraflex 3.5" lift installed last week, but I went with the cheaper Teraflex 9550 shocks. The ride is absolutely great, over bumps and everywhere else. I'm also on 37s.

They did replace though the LCAs with the Teraflex Alpine, which usually makes a difference in ride quality.

Last edited:

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Check your tire pressure also.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Markjeepbenz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JL unlimited

Quick question, I’m a novice, why is the suspension stiffer? What’s the benefit? Stability?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Quick question, I’m a novice, why is the suspension stiffer? What’s the benefit? Stability?
Most Teraflex shocks I have seen have a digressive damping curve. This is better for on road manners than off road in my opinion and explains why people say they are stiff. Accutune has a good article on damping curves if you want to learn more.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hello, I just had theraflex ST3 3.5” lift kit installed and Falcon SP2 2.1 monotube shocks on my brand new 2021 JLU with 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well.
Driving the Jeep now feels very stiff when I hit speed bumps etc it seems to be way stiffer than before. Is this normal? Does it adjusts and change with time?
What did you expect? you put a suspension designed to hold a bunch of metal without sagging (bumpers, skid plates, etx...) You lifted your jeep and put 37 massive tires on it, did you expect it to feel more road friendly?

Lower your tire pressure if it feels way too stiff.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
It can be stiffer for several reasons, including being set up to perform well under significantly heavier loads (like the overland rigs that are stuffed with heavy equipment and gear). if they are set up properly to perform well heavily loaded, they ride like a buckboard when empty. For a good demonstration, take an empty F350 for a test drive after taking an F150 for a spin. Adjustable shocks can mitigate the differential.

Like most things with jeeps, cars, trucks, and boats, suspension systems involve compromises and trade offs. The more money you are willing to spend, the smaller the trade offs have to be, but even the best suspension system is optimized for one particular type of performance. For example, the suspension on our Raptor is amazing, and expensive, but it’s not optimized for everything. It rides like a Cadillac, has lots of suspension travel, corners amazingly for a pickup, absorbs big bumps at speed, etc. It’s also lousy at carrying loads and towing. That’s the trade-off.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
What did you expect? you put a suspension designed to hold a bunch of metal without sagging (bumpers, skid plates, etx...) You lifted your jeep and put 37 massive tires on it, did you expect it to feel more road friendly?

Lower your tire pressure if it feels way too stiff.
That’s the nature of a teraflex lift with their shocks. We have installed some really great lifts with tuned shocks and the ride would blow you away with how nice it is. We have a Jeep back in for another rounds of mods like a magnuson supercharger and the customer told me if rides much better than his M5 daily driver and he prefers the Jeeps handing!

A firm ride is one thing but a harsh ride is another. To the OP, whatever you do, don’t upgrade to the 3.3s. They will make it even worse. Get some tuned fox or kings and it’ll be night and day difference

brett
Sponsored