Sponsored

New Lift and Now Loud Creaking

gridsquares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the Rock Krawler 4.5" Mid-arm, X Factor lift with No Limits end links. I have Synergy steering installed too (i.e., drag link, front/rear track bar, tie rod, rear sway bar drop brackets, rear track bar relocation bracket, brake cable relocation, and front/rear frame braces).

I took it out for a test ride in Colorado on an easy trail to work everything in - no issues. I then took it to the local 4 Wheel Parts store for a full alignment to dial it all in precisely. I even paid additional labor costs to "make sure I installed everything correctly" and perform a suspension test (I know the suspension test was never performed...more on that later).

I then took it to Ouray, Colorado for a real flex test. My entire trip was spent cursing the suspension and p*ss poor work at 4WP. This trip involved the most deathly sounds front and rear. When I brought my Jeep in for a professional alignment I told them I wanted everything torqued to the specification sheet I wanted to provide. They told me that it was not necessary as their people knew the specifications. When I picked it up and asked the rep about the specifications used he said that they "use factory specs" and when I asked about my after-market parts specs he walked around the question.

Everything seems to now steer much tighter (besides in gusty winds). However, now I am left with lots of creaking sounds no matter on gravel or pavement. I also came to identify that the rear sway bar at a flex makes contact with the Synergy bolt holding the rear track bar to the track bar frame reinforcement brace. It shaved some of the bolt head off. Had they actually inspected the suspension this would have been easily identified.

Any of you have any ideas what could be the problem? I noticed 4WP lubricated everything and did not tell me which grade grease they used. RK spec sheet states they've changed their grease recently. Should I unbolt everything and torque them back to what was originally intended for specifications (mostly based on the Mopar specs and a few variations for Synergy parts)? Take it back to 4WP and probably be told I do not know what I'm talking about? Or are any of your aware of a potential problem from the RK parts or any other OEM component I am not considering?

Appreciate it! Also, here's a clip of the creaking....could not identify the source. So much for a nice shiny toy!

Jeep Wrangler JL New Lift and Now Loud Creaking 8A31801B-6D2B-4E41-B59F-B93B5E92180E
Sponsored

Last edited:

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Bump

I have the Mopar lift and notice creaking / squeaking from the rear end too, although not like the video above. I’m thinking it’s bc the rear axle is slightly off due to the lift, so ordered a Synergy rear track bar relo bracket to re-center. Everything is torqued. When I tightened everything I’m pretty sure it was flat on the ground and not driven on race ramps, but will go through everything again.

Interested in ideas to resolve as well...

Bekser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR Sarge Green 6MT
Hello did you find the source of the creaking?

I'm experiencing the same noises with a 2.5 x factor no limits kit so I called RK.

Apparently, they used a supplier for the bushings that are not to chem spec, causing lots noises. If you go on the RK technical services bulletin it is #2.

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
I installed my rk 2.5 a couple weeks ago and initially the creaking was loud and ubiquitous. I know rk said the bushings were already greesed but I wanted to do a full lube anyway but I was delayed for a couple days. During that time it creaked like an old man.

After a full lube, it still creaked a bit and in a couple more days it finally quieted down. My front track bar was also rubbing on the mount but that is self-clearancing as we speak. It still makes some noise occasionally. Overall, I wasn't blown away by the design of the rk lift. The components are super beefy but if i was doing it all over again, I'd go in a different direction.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
My MetalCloak 2.5" made my Jeep sound like an old washing machine. I took it back to the place that installed it, they went through and tightened everything up some more and it stopped. I did not have a bolt clearance issue though. It takes some doing when you replace the entire suspension on a vehicle.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just some .02 fwiw ........

You can’t take these JLs to Bobs garage or Marks monkey wrench, or even the dealerships unfortunately, and expect good results from a lift install. It has to be a Jeep specific garage , and not one that does mainly JKs . The JLs are a different animal and are sensitive to caster, thrust angle (if it’s an all eight control arm lift) and steering.

Your rigs should never leave the shop with a noticeable pull, that just means whoever did the install did not know what they were doing. I know it might be an inconvenience to get to or find a shop but it’s worth the time and effort believe me. I myself had to learn all over again about lifts on the JL even though I’ve been wrenching my whole life. Anyway if any of you are having problems with your RK arms, feel free to shoot me a PM I don’t want to blow this thread up anymore than I already have........🤣

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350

You can’t take these JLs to Bobs garage or Marks monkey wrench, or even the dealerships unfortunately, and expect good results from a lift install. It has to be a Jeep specific garage , and not one that does mainly JKs . The JLs are a different animal and are sensitive to caster, thrust angle (if it’s an all eight control arm lift) and steering.

Your rigs should never leave the shop with a noticeable pull, that just means whoever did the install did not know what they were doing. I know it might be an inconvenience to get to or find a shop but it’s worth the time and effort believe me. I myself had to learn all over again about lifts on the JL even though I’ve been wrenching my whole life. Anyway if any of you are having problems with your RK arms, feel free to shoot me a PM I don’t want to blow this thread up anymore than I already have........🤣
This is the truth. After my 4th trip back from Auto and Truck Outfitters I am on my way to pay Joes Jeep Jungle additional money to fix what the first turkey's could not.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is the truth. After my 4th trip back from Auto and Truck Outfitters I am on my way to pay Joes Jeep Jungle additional money to fix what the first turkey's could not.
Sorry man, that sucks. It’s likely something simple, however it can be so many things that’s it’s almost impossible to diagnose on the interweb. I’d need to put eyes and hands on it first. If it’s a good shop they should get you straightened out no worries.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Sorry man, that sucks. It’s likely something simple, however it can be so many things that’s it’s almost impossible to diagnose on the interweb. I’d need to put eyes and hands on it first. If it’s a good shop they should get you straightened out no worries.
I installed 2" Mopar lift on my 2020 JL Rubicon Diesel two times. First one was non diesel lift and second time correct diesel specific one. After installation of first one I went to Colorado and Moab. I was hearing creeks and pops during off-road driving.. I zeroed it to insufficient torque on lower and upper control arm bolts. I tighten them as much as I could initially with normal wrenches but that was not enough. I had to use extension to put enough torque on them. All creaking and popping went away. After installation of second lift I could hear popping after hitting brakes doing off-roading. I found out that small impact driver I used to torque upper control arms bolts did not have enough torque so bolts were tight but not tight enough. I was able to tightened them up with wrenches and popping is gone. Grab pair of 18mm wrenches for upper control arms, 21 and 24mm wrenches for lower control arms bolts and torque the hell out of them. That could be the whole problem.

Bekser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR Sarge Green 6MT

That's the thing, my RK lift was installed by a professional and reputable jeep-only shop. Creaking from the very beginning - thought it was just settling in. Took it back for a retorque and creaking still there. Only thing I can think of is the RK TSB about the bushings. My jeep sounds like the video posted above - super noisy.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That's the thing, my RK lift was installed by a professional and reputable jeep-only shop. Creaking from the very beginning - thought it was just settling in. Took it back for a retorque and creaking still there. Only thing I can think of is the RK TSB about the bushings. My jeep sounds like the video posted above - super noisy.
Most likely you have the bad bushings. If you’re able to, take the arm off then give it one squirt of grease take pliers or vise grip, etc. and rotate the joint half way around and give it another squirt then rotate joint around a couple times then reinstall it. Start with rear arms , they seem to squeak more than the front. Do each arm one at a time and test for squeak after each time. Might only be one or two that are doing it. Once you’ve get t rid of it, if it comes back fairly quickly then I’d rebuild the joints.
Sponsored