First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I saw that Coverking makes a complete coverage headliner for the JL. Maybe there’s one for the JT?
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have special headphones I used in the days when we could fly. They are sound suppressing headphones and cut out the aircraft wind noise.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
First of all - I’m sorry this happened to you. It sucks. My recommendation would be to wait 90 days and see how your brain and hearing adapts to this new reality. I’m not sure you can quiet your Jeep down in anyway that would be very significant except for tires. Even with that, wind noise will always be pronounced. I struggle with tinnitus but that is nothing compared to your situation.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Would a Grand Cherokee fit your adventure needs? My GC is much quieter on the highway and with QuadraDrive II has capability to explore.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Sorry about your hearing loss. I say get a comfy highway cruiser. We have a navigator for long trips and both the driving experience and noise is so much better. Add to that the comfort of the ride and seats. I love having both options.

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Would a Grand Cherokee fit your adventure needs? My GC is much quieter on the highway and with QuadraDrive II has capability to explore.
I can second this. We have a Durango (GC's longer cousin), it is the perfect highway cruiser. That being said, I've take the Durango on one "trail", ie slightly rocky logging road, and it knocked the wheel alignment all to hell. One of the reasons I ended up with the JL in the first place.

Pete

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Gato, I am thinking the weather stripping at the A pillar will be huge. I feel like the door gap is more of a suggestion than a reality in the Jeeps :LOL:
I agree. On my Jeep that is by far the #1 noise generator. The headliner (which I installed, helped very little - but it does help when it is raining hard for example).

Ne noise for the driver's A-pilar is 90%+ of the noise on my Jeep on the highway.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Ear plugs…they’ll last twice as long now.

OP
OP
Papa Jawa

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
First Off, I love me some Jeep community. I can't even find a forum for the Rams worth a shit. I gotta say it, the Gladiator has my heart. It really is my favorite vehicle, my favorite in 32 years of driving. I am staying in the family, for now for sure. I am going to start working through the advice you fine Jeepers have given me. But, I think I will test easy upgrades on this Rig, and then trade up in a year or two. I could make any JT Diesel bad ass, and it would be quieter. What I really want is at JT 4xe Mojave, fingers crossed. I can wait if I know its coming.

You all are great! Next question LOL!

I have the factory M/T's not sure how much a difference it makes because my wife has the A/T, both original 33", both seem same loud so I don't know? I was going to eventually go up to 34"ish A/Ts. I appreciate recommendation on tires in that realm with a good balance of on and off road manners?

Thanks again!
Yes, I'm double posting in the Gladiator Page! Its funny how the communities are so close, but not! I love it, its family!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Last sunday freak medical shit, my right ear went 100% deaf. No need to tell the story here, just know, it is a legit 100% lost. And... My left ear sucks from 20 years in the Navy serving alongside the Marines as a medic and on board ships. All indication is my right ear loss is permanent. Even if I get some back it won't be conversational hearing.

I'm the proud owner of a 2020 Mojave, and my wife has a 2020 JLR. I love them both, and until a week ago could not imagine myself in another vehicle, other than another JT, ever again. Now that I can only hear from my left crappy ear I can hardly stand to drive either of them. When I am driving with my windows up, radio off and AC on low it sounds like my left window is open about 3 inches. I can barely understand the passenger and cannot hear any conversation from the back seat. If the family goes somewhere I sit in the back right seat so my left ear is to the family and the cabin. I am fine by myself in my gladiator, with an ear plug. Or as a passenger.

The JLR is going nowhere, but my Mojave is not long for my ownership, unless I can get it quiet. I have never asked the community for input until now. I have two questions:

1. Can I do it? Can I make it more quiet or is it a lost cause? I have been around the community for a while and know that Jeep Bricks travelling at 75 mph makes a lot of wind noise.
2. If I can't make this work, what truck do I buy? I am torn between a loaded Ram Big Horn diesel or an F150 XLT hybrid. I know the 2020's will be out soon. I expect them to just be different cooler than the 2021 but I don't think there is anything big that would sway me one way or another. If you think there is a specific good reason for something different let me know please.

I am a desert kid that likes to go where I want to go. I do not need to crawl much.

Thank you fellow Jeepers.

Don't know how much this will help, but...

My '21 80th Edition has the sound deadening headliner installed and it's really effective at keeping the cabin quiet. I was expecting that it might help, but it far exceeded my expectation.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Since I can't live without a Jeep in my life and don't want to invest lots of $$$ into "solutions" that may not work in the end, I settled on these filtered earbuds that most of my motorcycle friends use.

Amazon.com: Vibes High Fidelity Earplugs - Invisible Ear Plugs for Concerts, Musicians, Motorcycles, Airplanes, Raves, Work Noise Reduction, Hearing Protection - Fits Small Medium Large - As Seen On Shark Tank: Health & Personal Care

These are much easier to insert than those yellow foamies they give us in the military, and filter out a lot of noise while allowing us to (mostly) hear the stereo and occupants.
Hey flyer92, my wife bought me a set of these and I must be the stupidest person on the planet because I can't seem to make them effect the sound around me at all. I'm used to the squish ear plugs like the DePlug by DEGIL, which cut down most of the noise, but with these Vibes, it's like I'm not wearing ear plugs at all. Am I missing something? Have not used them in the Jeep, maybe they are effective against wind noise, but putting them in around the house, and talking with my wife and kids, I don't notice any difference at all. Shame really, as they look well made and I like that they're re-usable.

Best,
-Tim

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
First Off, I love me some Jeep community. I can't even find a forum for the Rams worth a shit. I gotta say it, the Gladiator has my heart. It really is my favorite vehicle, my favorite in 32 years of driving. I am staying in the family, for now for sure. I am going to start working through the advice you fine Jeepers have given me. But, I think I will test easy upgrades on this Rig, and then trade up in a year or two. I could make any JT Diesel bad ass, and it would be quieter. What I really want is at JT 4xe Mojave, fingers crossed. I can wait if I know its coming.

You all are great! Next question LOL!

I have the factory M/T's not sure how much a difference it makes because my wife has the A/T, both original 33", both seem same loud so I don't know? I was going to eventually go up to 34"ish A/Ts. I appreciate recommendation on tires in that realm with a good balance of on and off road manners?

Thanks again!
Yes, I'm double posting in the Gladiator Page! Its funny how the communities are so close, but not! I love it, its family!
My ‘19 JLR had the ATs and my ‘20 came with the Falken Wildpeak MTs. The first time I drove my ‘20 on the highway, I was thinking, “damn! Someone has some loud ass tires!”

Turns out, it was me :CWL:. So my experience is that the MTs are louder.

My husband did the sound deadening in his JK—the dynamat type stuff and some foam underlayment and it helped quiet the cabin.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey flyer92, my wife bought me a set of these and I must be the stupidest person on the planet because I can't seem to make them effect the sound around me at all. I'm used to the squish ear plugs like the DePlug by DEGIL, which cut down most of the noise, but with these Vibes, it's like I'm not wearing ear plugs at all. Am I missing something? Have not used them in the Jeep, maybe they are effective against wind noise, but putting them in around the house, and talking with my wife and kids, I don't notice any difference at all. Shame really, as they look well made and I like that they're re-usable.

Best,
-Tim
Tim...no worries, and you are definitely not stupid. It's easy to see why someone would have this opinion of the ear plugs because they are designed to filter, not eliminate noise, while letting in desirable sounds such as music or speech. This is most noticeable in situations where there is a constant and undesirable background noise, such as in an aircraft, a loud bar/club/restaurant, or a noisy Jeep. Unless you have some sort of continuous background noise like that inside your home, you wouldn't notice the filtering effect. That said, it is important to understand that the filtering is somewhat subtle (to me, anyway), and the ear plugs will also reduce the volume of some desirable sounds, so it isn't 100% perfect. However, I've found that it is plenty sufficient for Jeep driving at a decent price. I would also recommend trying the different size tips that should have been included. A proper fit is critical, and trying to cram the largest size into one's ear canal may actually render the ear plugs ineffective. The best functional test, is to just drive your Jeep on the highway with the ear plugs "installed." As with anything, it is possible that they may not work well for you no matter what size tip you use, but the good news is that there are several other comparable options available. Hope you find a good solution, and best of luck!

OP
OP
Papa Jawa

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
My ‘19 JLR had the ATs and my ‘20 came with the Falken Wildpeak MTs. The first time I drove my ‘20 on the highway, I was thinking, “damn! Someone has some loud ass tires!”

Turns out, it was me :CWL:. So my experience is that the MTs are louder.

My husband did the sound deadening in his JK—the dynamat type stuff and some foam underlayment and it helped quiet the cabin.
I heard that about MTs. Thanks.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Last sunday freak medical shit, my right ear went 100% deaf. No need to tell the story here, just know, it is a legit 100% lost. And... My left ear sucks from 20 years in the Navy serving alongside the Marines as a medic and on board ships. All indication is my right ear loss is permanent. Even if I get some back it won't be conversational hearing.

I'm the proud owner of a 2020 Mojave, and my wife has a 2020 JLR. I love them both, and until a week ago could not imagine myself in another vehicle, other than another JT, ever again. Now that I can only hear from my left crappy ear I can hardly stand to drive either of them. When I am driving with my windows up, radio off and AC on low it sounds like my left window is open about 3 inches. I can barely understand the passenger and cannot hear any conversation from the back seat. If the family goes somewhere I sit in the back right seat so my left ear is to the family and the cabin. I am fine by myself in my gladiator, with an ear plug. Or as a passenger.

The JLR is going nowhere, but my Mojave is not long for my ownership, unless I can get it quiet. I have never asked the community for input until now. I have two questions:

1. Can I do it? Can I make it more quiet or is it a lost cause? I have been around the community for a while and know that Jeep Bricks travelling at 75 mph makes a lot of wind noise.
2. If I can't make this work, what truck do I buy? I am torn between a loaded Ram Big Horn diesel or an F150 XLT hybrid. I know the 2020's will be out soon. I expect them to just be different cooler than the 2021 but I don't think there is anything big that would sway me one way or another. If you think there is a specific good reason for something different let me know please.

I am a desert kid that likes to go where I want to go. I do not need to crawl much.

Thank you fellow Jeepers.
Can you confirm whether you have the hard top, or the soft one? Going with the hard top and the thick Mopar headliner might help a bit, in addition to all the other advices here. The headliner removes the reverb effect of plain fiberglass.
Sponsored