New JLURD getting the GDE tune

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
Taking the 6 day old JLURD up to Michigan this Friday to pay a visit to GDE for their tune. Seems a bit crazy but my thinking is it may be better for longevity to have it tuned when new instead of letting the soot build up over thousands of miles. Anyone else done similar?
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Aggressive. Who cares about the warranty anyway. I don’t know enough about diesel engines to know better. You could just register your rig in North Dakota and delete the emissions

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I did it last March with around 2500 miles. Very happy with the power, the transmission tune, and the revised throttle response. If I put in 4wd and launch it at 3000 rpm, it I’ll hit 60 in less than 6 seconds and I’m turning 37’s. Also getting 22-24 mpg.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
I like the way you are thinking on this. I see that Terps has done it and has gotten good results. He works at a dealership, so I assume his warranty is still in place. Us peons might have a hard time convincing the dealership when they see a tune loaded.

I still like it, prolly do it in a few years when I get it paid off.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a Tazer hooked up and I did not reinstall the SGW when I installed the new speaker pods so even if they try, they can't plug in without coming to see me. And even if they overwrite it, GDE only charges $50 for a reflash.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeEIB

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
I cancelled the appointment due to some concerns I’m having with the GDE transmission tune. Read many reports of annoying torque converter lockup during cold low speed driving. I’m sure it’s probably fine but I can’t risk anything as this JLURD is my wife’s daily driver.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
never had an issue but I have only had the tune since March. The transmission tune does hold a gear longer and also downshifts as you slow down. I like it.

mgrin3006

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys (delivered 1/28)
Occupation
Retired Fire Inspector
never had an issue but I have only had the tune since March. The transmission tune does hold a gear longer and also downshifts as you slow down. I like it.
The downshifting when you slow down will be an issue on ice!!! You'll be all over the place! Guess we'll see how many accidents there will be and if anyone sues JEEP or it!!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The downshifting when you slow down will be an issue on ice!!! You'll be all over the place! Guess we'll see how many accidents there will be and if anyone sues JEEP or it!!
Do you have a diesel? As a side note, most 911's left the road ass end first and Porsche never got sued for one.....

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I cancelled the appointment due to some concerns I’m having with the GDE transmission tune. Read many reports of annoying torque converter lockup during cold low speed driving. I’m sure it’s probably fine but I can’t risk anything as this JLURD is my wife’s daily driver.
You may want to look at the Banks iDash/PedalMonster/Derringer combo. I've been very impressed, and is a 15 minute reversal if you need to go in for warranty work.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
@Terpsmandan with the GDE tune are you noticing lower engine/oil temps? Im only a month in, but these temps are a lot higher than what I was seeing with the 3.6 gasser.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven’t really paid attention. Sorry.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

@Terpsmandan with the GDE tune are you noticing lower engine/oil temps? Im only a month in, but these temps are a lot higher than what I was seeing with the 3.6 gasser.
The illogical comparison ceases ceases to amaze me. For instance let's put a Turbo on the 3.6 what would happen with the temperatures then? Fact, diesels are louder running engines. Fact the EcoDiesel Wrangler is quieter inside the cab overall than the cab with 3.6. Fact that FCA not only eliminated the extra noise but improved over the "gasser".
To further insult your comparison,
"gasoline barely surpasses 120,000 BTUs, diesel boasts over 137,000 BTUs per gallon!"

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can’t beat a gallon of diesel for portable power…
Sponsored