Sponsored

New JLUR XR running abnormally hot?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-door Sport-S 3.6
Same issue with my 2023 3.6 2-door Sport-S. Hits 233 at idle or traffic, then quickly shoots down to 218/222. 192-204 at highway speeds. Doesn’t matter if I have AC, heat, …. New Jeep has 300 miles on it. Brought to dealer last week and was told no code errors and temps run within specs. I also mentioned I smelled rubber burning smell/coolant smell? Technician told me new engine needs to break in. This is my first Wrangler so nothing to compare it to. super fun to drive so I should just enjoy. 3/5 year warranty
Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
As mine's breaking in, it is running cooler. But the ambient temps have also dropped. Hardly hitting 220F in oil nor coolant now in the same situations I used to hit 230F before. I have 550 miles on the odometer now.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
As mine's breaking in, it is running cooler. But the ambient temps have also dropped. Hardly hitting 220F in oil nor coolant now in the same situations I used to hit 230F before. I have 550 miles on the odometer now.
Said it a little too soon. Still doing the same thing as temps got back into high 70s/low 80s. Only when driving on streets and specially when I pull up into my garage. Shoots up by 10 degrees on my driveway. I can hear the fan but it is not as loud as my previous JL/JTs but it just might be my confirmation bias.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-door Sport-S 3.6
I made an appointment to have my Wrangler looked at. I have 600 miles on it and still running hot. It takes about 20-30 minutes of street driving (stop and go) to recreate the problem. coolant temp runs up to 233 then shoots back down to 215. This loop continues until I shut Wrangler off or drive on highway. On highway runs fine, 195 -204. Can’t get a straight answer from dealership if these numbers are normal. Sometimes I hit 235 just idling. Smell coolant when temps are high. I’ll keep you updated next week when dealership checks it.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I had mine checked out today. I was told everything is in order even though they appear on the higher side of normal. I insisted that fan operation be checked, and since I have good relationship with my dealer, I had it checked by the foreman himself.
He also gave me a short note on how and when the cooling fans operate: According to the note:

"Cooling Fan On/Off Operation

Since there are many variables that effect exactly when the cooling fans will operate, including but not limited to: A/C head pressure, A/C status, the coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, battery temperature, transmission oil temperature, charge air temperature, ETM/Engine Thermal Management, vehicle speed, anti steaming function and more depending on vehicle configuration and software calibrations, all of which can affect when the cooling fans will operate. An exact temperature when the fans will turn on and off is not practical to predict."

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Are you or are you not running your A/C?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I made an appointment to have my Wrangler looked at. I have 600 miles on it and still running hot. It takes about 20-30 minutes of street driving (stop and go) to recreate the problem. coolant temp runs up to 233 then shoots back down to 215. This loop continues until I shut Wrangler off or drive on highway. On highway runs fine, 195 -204. Can’t get a straight answer from dealership if these numbers are normal. Sometimes I hit 235 just idling. Smell coolant when temps are high. I’ll keep you updated next week when dealership checks it.
I wonder if they recalibrated 2023 models to run hotter by design?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-door Sport-S 3.6
dealership told me vehicle is “safe to drive”. I asked them to put it in writing that 233 degrees while idling is normal. Service advisor told me they will email me … still waiting for write up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
dealership told me vehicle is “safe to drive”. I asked them to put it in writing that 233 degrees while idling is normal. Service advisor told me they will email me … still waiting for write up.
Ambient temperature is playing a big role. Vegas barely reached 54F high today, and my coolant remained at 195F on a lot of city driving I did today. Oil temp did not go further than 208F.
Unless the dealership did something yesterday but didn't tell me about it. :)

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I have the factory installed Mopar Cold Air Intake without the hood cut out. Can that be the cause for it running hotter than normal. The wider intake tubes providing more hot air on street driving or when idling to the engine?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-door Sport-S 3.6
I have the factory installed Mopar Cold Air Intake without the hood cut out. Can that be the cause for it running hotter than normal. The wider intake tubes providing more hot air on street driving or when idling to the engine?
Hood with cut outs is big expense. I’m no mechanic, but could be something minor like a better air filter ??

DC9D0459-A5D4-46EB-AE1B-D267B9B0FA6E.jpeg

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Hood with cut outs is big expense. I’m no mechanic, but could be something minor like a better air filter ??
The Mopar CAI came with a disposable high flow Mopar filter.

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-filter-p5160245aa

Jeep Wrangler JL New JLUR XR running abnormally hot? 1667780406297

But I am using the standard Mopar paper filter as I live in a windy dusty city surrounded by desert and IMO that is the best filter for our Jeeps filtration-wise. Temps did not make any difference with either filter.
Sponsored