New JLUR Doesn't hold allignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
My Rubi has about 500 miles on it. It got out of allignment and was alligned by a shop. A few days later I had to take it back. They said it left the shop perfect but found the toe had changed. They adjusted it back to spec. It drove ok until I took it on the highway. It pulls to the right and requires a lot of steering correction to the left to offset it.

Something is broken or loose. What are the likely causes?
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
My Rubi has about 500 miles on it. It got out of allignment and was alligned by a shop. A few days later I had to take it back. They said it left the shop perfect but found the toe had changed. They adjusted it back to spec. It drove ok until I took it on the highway. It pulls to the right and requires a lot of steering correction to the left to offset it.

Do you have the print outs of the alignment to look at the rest of it?

How much did the toe change from "perfect"?

OP
OP

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
Do you have the print outs of the alignment to look at the rest of it?

How much did the toe change from "perfect"?
I saw the print outs, but don't have them. It went from in spec to out of spec in a few days.

@BigWorm It could be any bolt or a bad grommet somewhere.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I saw the print outs, but don't have them. It went from in spec to out of spec in a few days.

@BigWorm It could be any bolt or a bad grommet somewhere.
Could be ball joints. Could be your wheel hubs. Could be the bolts holding the hubs to the knuckle.

Could be your control arms allow your pinion to rotate up and down and their alignment rack won't account for the difference.

There's too many variables to label it. If the variation in change is small I certainly wouldn't worry about it. If the toe changes in big increments then we need to pay more attention to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
@DOOKEY it pulls to the right. It seems worse at highway speeds. I need to turn the wheel to 2/8 o'clock instead of 3/9 o'clock to drive straight. The vehicle is too new for this to be a wear problem. Yes, it could be any of many components.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
@DOOKEY it pulls to the right. It seems worse at highway speeds. I need to turn the wheel to 2/8 o'clock instead of 3/9 o'clock to drive straight. The vehicle is too new for this to be a wear problem. Yes, it could be any of many components.
Not enough caster can do what you're explaining.

I've experienced a sticky brake caliper that caused it.

I've experienced thrust angle causing it. Does it pull any direction under hard braking?

OP
OP

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
@DOOKEY braking seems normal, but I could try that again. As I recall the thrust angle was good on both allignments.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

You said it got out of alignment…. How? And how did you know it did ? Really would be helpful to see printout, we can give more accurate information/recommendations…..

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

New Rubicon, why aren't you letting the dealer handle this under warranty? 3 times unlucky do the lemon law and get a different one.

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392

Wait a minute. You say your Rubi has 500 miles on it? Why are you taking it to an alignment shop? That should be warranty work.

Last edited:

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Try swapping out the LCA'S with the 2" lift LCA'S, look on this forum as there is a write up and part numbers.

I did this on mine at 300 miles along with a tire swap (35's) and night and day difference in driveability. Best mod I have done.

Regards,
Jim

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This thread is funny. 500 miles and at a shop. Did the dealer shut you down?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Also….. an alignment on a stock Rubi only consists of setting toe…. Everything else is set in stone, caster, camber, thrust angle, etc…. Is not adjustable on the stock Rubi…. It can be made adjustable with aftermarket parts, and ball joints shims, but as is right now all you’re paying for is toe…….
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.