Sponsored

New JLUR 392 (~150 Miles), Caster is 3.7 and 4.0 degrees, dealer says it’s within spec

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
Btw I figured out what the problem is with the handling, it’s the lack of it returning to center. It doesn’t self track. That’s the only issue. That’s also why you can mentally adjust to it.
You are exactly right about what the problem is and return to center comes directly from caster. If you google return to center and caster you will find a number of articles or videos about this.

That relationship is why so many report major steering improvement from adding the longer LCA to rubicons and taller. It moves caster closer to 6, where Sports and Saharas are from factory with the stock arms that all Jeeps have. OP is obviously correct that 3.7 is less than 4, but the bigger problem is that 4 is too low to begin with. My guess is your reaction to the steering would be the same even if that 3.7 was a 4.0.

As others have said, give the longer Mopar LCAs a shot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
I don't get it. Red means its not in spec with factory alignment. That means your jeep is out of spec from factory. Have the dealer fix it.

No such thing as jeep thing and expect owners to pay out of our pocket for jeep factory's defective workmanship!

I refused to spend a dime on my Jeep while it's in warranty for any defective parts!
The issue here is that the service dept people are not acknowledging that there’s a problem.
They won’t fix anything if they think there’s no problem. How do you explain to someone that 3.7 is less than 4? It’s even color coded red in the printout.

I am going to give the MOPAR LCAs a go. Let me see who has them in stock.

cheers!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don't get it. Red means its not in spec with factory alignment. That means your jeep is out of spec from factory. Have the dealer fix it.

No such thing as jeep thing and expect owners to pay out of our pocket for jeep factory's defective workmanship!

I refused to spend a dime on my Jeep while it's in warranty for any defective parts!
This is a very uninformed answer, and the reason we don’t print alignment reports in color.

There is no way to adjust the caster. There isn’t a defective part in question. The spec is the same for a sport and a 392 XR. The spec is the problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The only warranty youre voiding by putting on aftermarket LCAs is the warranty on the LCAs you just took off to replace.
I sincerely doubt that any service department would ever even notice the difference in the arms.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe

cheers!
very interested in your feedback afterwards considering we have a similar viewpoint. Really tough to judge opinions on wrangler steering.

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
The issue here is that the service dept people are not acknowledging that there’s a problem.
They won’t fix anything if they think there’s no problem. How do you explain to someone that 3.7 is less than 4? It’s even color coded red in the printout.

cheers!
I got mine from allmoparparts.com, a forum sponsor. Good price and easy transaction. You can PM @AllMoparParts.com to check for current discount codes for forum members

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
JEEP changed the complete suspension of the JLUR 392 for model year 2022 (including shocks/ springs/ the works)
Not accurate. The only thing they changed were the shocks for the XR package. Everything else is the same.

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5

cheers!
Keep us posted on how the Mopars work out. I agree with mwilk012 that there’s close to a zero chance a dealership tech will know.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I would like to think if they're adjustable, they would. I know mine would but my go to mechanic has offroad experience.
The Mopar lift LCA’s are not adjustable, and look just like the factory parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
Not accurate. The only thing they changed were the shocks for the XR package. Everything else is the same.
Yep, I know they have not changed the suspension on 392 (non-XR) for model year 2022. I just mentioned the Jeep mechanic who checked the alignment said 2022 is different from 2021 models and the specs in the printout (caster range between 4-5.8) doesn’t apply.

He was trying to justify that my 3.7 left is correct and within spec.

In my opinion, JEEPers (like BMW, Porsche and certain other vehicle owners) are passionate people and know their stuff. Not sure how many would fall for the sh*t that these service guys throw at them!

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5