Sponsored

New JLU owner... Not too Happy

Crazyramses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Bright White
Someone just posted a video on Facebook from PA, of a new JL Rubicon owner sitting beside the PA turnpike. At 25 miles on the odometer, he's sitting on the shoulder and the JL is flashing all kinds of errors on the dash and won't start. Ouch!
I think you're more accustomed to this sort of thing, then anyone moving from a different brand. I had one Chevy, the rest were German cars. As someone whose coming into this Chrysler/Jeep brand for the first time, this is pretty bad. I dont mean to knock you, but it seems like thats what you are doing to OP, in fact you say you've actually been waiting for this post. "I was waiting for the first one". Ill take the jeep and the risk it comes with. But I doubt any employee from BMW or Mercedes would ever comment "I was waiting for the first one (complaint)". (because they dont typically have these types of posts as common)

For you to say "has everything you bought worked perfectly" is just ridiculous. Im going to go out there and say anything Ive bought for more then $5,000 or $10,000 has worked perfectly. So I (wrongfully) assume my new JLUR at 56k msrp should work perfectly. However, I have friends who have informed me of the problems they have and leaks, at the same time if I was OP and I knew of the warnings before hand, this would still frustrate the hell out of me.

I think you should go work for another dealer. Then you can come back here and be like wow guys this isnt normal, instead of "waiting" to bash on the first person who rightfully complained.
As someone who has purchased first models from Ford to BMW every first run vehicle I have had has had some sort of issue, some more serious than others. I am going into this with the expectation that there will be problems and if there are they will be addressed. I think JLWF Dealer Guy is more addressing the people that immediately say oh look its a "insert brand here" of course it has problems. These are complex machines and the impatient (Like me :) ) who don't wait to trade in their perfectly good vehicle for one of them shouldn't be surprised if there's new problems. However they shouldn't accept them and they should expect that they be handled (as you said) considering the price of this purchase

No brand is immune to issues on their first run vehicles. I am more concerned with how they handle it. So far from the reports dealers and FCA are handling it well. We'll get a better picture in the next few months

Not trying to pick a fight just trying to be the voice of reason. I see and understand both sides. I just think that modern FCA gets more hate than they deserve (as do some other brands but these are not their forums), and others get too much credit.
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
For those worried, I've discovered no mechanical or electrical issues of any kind in my Jeep yet. No fit/finish issues, either, other than about 1/2 milimeter of the corner of protective clear tape over the right rear fender flare that is sticking up. Oh, I forgot one more...a drip of what appears to be adhesive from attaching the right rear window to the hard top. It dripped on the hard top itself. Only someone meticulously handwaxing in the bright sun would have ever found it. (Don't worry about the sun. Turtle Wax Ice applies better in direct sunlight.) I've been in 4wd, but not in 4 low, which means I've not engaged lockers or the swaybar disconnect. I'll get to those soon enough. I'll report back if I have any problems.

I hope those whose Jeeps have issues get them worked out quickly. I've been there with vehicles before, from multiple manufacturers.
I'm with you, one or 2 tiny little things. But that's it.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
As someone who has purchased first models from Ford to BMW every first run vehicle I have had has had some sort of issue, some more serious than others. I am going into this with the expectation that there will be problems and if there are they will be addressed.
Which is a problem for me, because even routine items that require a couple of hours worth of service can't get a service appointment until 3-4 weeks out with my local Jeep dealers. With *all* of my local Jeep dealers -- I have access to four Jeep dealers, at none of them can I get an appointment to even *look* at my Jeep without waiting for weeks, nevermind actually service the thing. Apparently Chrysler has been manufacturing a *lot* of junk cars lately, because the dealerships are all backed up with warranty work (not primarily on Jeep Wranglers, which after all are less than 1/10th of their production, but backed up).

Toyota sells a lot of Tacomas to people who aren't happy about the Tacoma's weak engine or so-so capabilities, but appreciate that it's as reliable as a brick.

My suggestion, if you're looking for a 1st year JL, is to call your local dealership's service department and see how long it takes to get an appointment to do something routine like, say, change a water pump. If it's more than a few days you probably should wait until they get all the bugs out of the production process.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota sells a lot of Tacomas to people who aren't happy about the Tacoma's weak engine or so-so capabilities, but appreciate that it's as reliable as a brick.
Unless you want a reliable rear end

Crazyramses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Bright White
Which is a problem for me, because even routine items that require a couple of hours worth of service can't get a service appointment until 3-4 weeks out with my local Jeep dealers. With *all* of my local Jeep dealers -- I have access to four Jeep dealers, at none of them can I get an appointment to even *look* at my Jeep without waiting for weeks, nevermind actually service the thing. Apparently Chrysler has been manufacturing a *lot* of junk cars lately, because the dealerships are all backed up with warranty work (not primarily on Jeep Wranglers, which after all are less than 1/10th of their production, but backed up).

My suggestion, if you're looking for a 1st year JL, is to call your local dealership's service department and see how long it takes to get an appointment to do something routine like, say, change a water pump. If it's more than a few days you probably should wait until they get all the bugs out of the production process.
Wow that's a wait. I can understand your frustration. I have in my family/friend circle about 8 Jeep/Chrysler Vehicles that various people own. Currently no one is complaining. (maybe just blind luck?) no junk vehicles here.

Already ordered my JL in Dec we'll see how it goes.

I do get your frustration though, 3-4 weeks for just an appointment is crazy. Longest I've had to wait was 48 hours.

Sponsored

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Hello my name is Leticia, just bought a New JLU Sahara. But 2 days after I took it home, Remote start wouldn't work. So took it in, they kept it for 4 days. Found out it was a cut wire in the harness, that registers if the door is closed or not. That was repaired and I finally get to pick it up, remote start works Great. Then 2 days later I go to turn on my AC, to find out no cold air blowing. So I take it back, they said it had No Freon in it, so they charged it, tried it briefly it blew super cold air. Turned it off, because I don't need the AC. Now the next day after leaving the service Dept. I start my JLU, and hear a Hissing sound coming out of the defrost vent area. It only makes it when I have the air on and comes and goes. Also ONLY the driver's side vents blow out Cold air, the passenger side vents just blows regular temp air, maybe like 70°-73°. So I'll be taking it back Monday to drop it off. Just not too Happy about it, they've had it longer in their possession than I have, since I bought it. I truly hope this is the last issue I have with it.
Did you ever get an answer from jeep service on what caused the start button not to work?

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
That is UNSAT!! I would have the Dealer take It back and get another one. How many days have you actually had it in your possession and how many days in service? I would be contacting FCA or someone at Jeep.
AGREE!

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i agree with most of these posts, as a new model buyer you shouldnt have to 'expect' problems especially with all the testing hours behind these JLs...but its reality honestly. Just remember (not that you want to invoke it) but there is such a thing as the lemon law, should you desire to seek it out (or be forced to because you require a daily vehicle). States vary on how the law is invoked but its out there regardless.

None of us want problems with our JLs but its bound to happen, and it sucks if it does happen. Its the whole early production woes thing.

dragonslayer

First Name
kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 nissan juke
Vehicle Showcase
Hello my name is Leticia, just bought a New JLU Sahara. But 2 days after I took it home, Remote start wouldn't work. So took it in, they kept it for 4 days. Found out it was a cut wire in the harness, that registers if the door is closed or not. That was repaired and I finally get to pick it up, remote start works Great. Then 2 days later I go to turn on my AC, to find out no cold air blowing. So I take it back, they said it had No Freon in it, so they charged it, tried it briefly it blew super cold air. Turned it off, because I don't need the AC. Now the next day after leaving the service Dept. I start my JLU, and hear a Hissing sound coming out of the defrost vent area. It only makes it when I have the air on and comes and goes. Also ONLY the driver's side vents blow out Cold air, the passenger side vents just blows regular temp air, maybe like 70°-73°. So I'll be taking it back Monday to drop it off. Just not too Happy about it, they've had it longer in their possession than I have, since I bought it. I truly hope this is the last issue I have with it.
"Strange" noise heard while driving. Short at first, then progressively longer. Kinda rubbing, humming,vibe type sound. Got worried, of course, took it to the dealer. Two weeks later, nobody knows what's causeing it!! They confirmed the sound, so i wasn't overly sensative. They called factory engineers in on it & can't pinpoint or eliminate it!!!! :angry: What am i supposed to do? Got parts piling up, almost daily deliveries. UPS guy can't wait to see it when I'm done, HECK, neither can I. Never went off-roading, babied it like a 52 Caddy & WHAM! I see all the "happy" JEEP drivers passing me and I can't wave!!!! I'm going through Wrangler Withdrawal. :swear::headbang:

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Think about it this way. If you buy a product from a store and it is crap you can usually return that item for a refund or credit. With vehicles its suffer until you cannot take it any longer. How do auto manufactures get away with this practice? They could easily take back a vehicle, diagnose the issues, resolve them on their schedule and then sell it as used and still make money and keep everyone happy. It would drive me crazy if I had an auto that was crap from the beginning.
Sponsored