New JLU and need some insight

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
I went to the Jeep dealership last night, and somehow walked out with a payment. This is the 3rd jeep that I have owned, but the first one that I have bought myself. I am a college student and couldn't afford a rubicon, so ended up with a JLU fairly base model. Before this I have had a JK and a JKU and loved both of em, but in particular my first JK, because I did all the mods myself, but at that time I was living at home and had a little more cash I could spend. One thing I am concerned about is I want to save up for a lift, but after lifting 2 of em and having to deal with parts replacements, bad gas mileage, etc, because of living 5 hours away from home, and doing alot of driving, I'm rethinking that a little. I want to know where my money would be best spent on it without killing my power and gas mileage. Just drove it back to college today and the thing drives and handles great, but it's hard looking at those stock rims and baby tires. Considering running 33's for awhile before I jump straight into 35's. I know I have to do some work to get it to run the 35's but wondering if anyone knows how the 35's effect power and handling on a stock setup, and what size rims do you suggest? This go around I would like to keep the power and handling good for awhile while I am doing so much driving. Really appreciate any insight I can get because I have to watch the cash.
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
When you go with larger diameter rims, you lose gas mileage and acceleration. If you want to stay moderate, get some 17" light weight alloy rims and 33" A/T tires but not LT tires. P rated tires should be lighter. Rolling resistance of aggressive tires will also kill your gas mileage. The new JL looks a lot better than the base JK with steel wheels. Consider driving it stock for a while and save some $$$

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Rubicon take-off wheels and tires will start showing up soon. It may take a little while before prices drop, but they will. That’s always the most cost efficient upgrade for a base Wrangler.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
...I want to know where my money would be best spent on it without killing my power and gas mileage. .....it's hard looking at those stock rims and baby tires.
OP, something tells me that for me to say, "well go spend your money on a stereo upgrade, that will be money that won't affect power or gas mileage," is not the advise you want or need.

I think you're saying, "how can I get the lift and keep money in the bank?"

A prior poster's recommendation on waiting for purchase price to come down on gear may be your best option, as opposed to saving money once you make the lift. The laws of physics as applied to tire size, efficiency and power are things I'm afraid that we're all somewhat powerless to do much about short of optimizing things under the hood and the ever decreasing returns of additional tweaks there.
Sponsored