First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
I have a 2018 JLU (3,500#, 350 TW cap) and I'm about to pick up our new 2020 Jayco 174BH, which tips the scales around 3,000# and 270 TW. I am well aware that I am at the upper end of my towing ability, and already have a Reese WDH, but based on feedback on here from other JLU owners with this same set up, and other who have successfully (safely??) towed much more, we decided to go for it. I spoke to a representative from FCU about maxing out the tow capacity, and they told me I can safely tow up to 3,500# and did not need to allow for that 10-15% rule of thumb. We shall see. If it ends up being too much for us, we have access to an F150 that'll do the trick, and we eventually want to trade in on a Gladiator with the max tow package.

Congrats on the new JLR and your initial tow experience! Good luck!

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
You should be perfectly fine with that set up. Interestingly enough if you look at the European ratings for the JLU I believe it maxes out at 5500 lbs for towing. Note: not recommending you go over the legal limit of 3500 lbs just saying your vehicle is plenty capable. Just lower your speed and be safe. Also just curious, which engine are you running the 2.0L or 3.6L?
I have the 3.6L. I've also read/seen that the numbers are substantially higher for EU than US. Is it really NHTSA regulations, or is there something physical/mechanical that makes the rating higher?

Either way, I know I should be fine. I have a wife and two small kids with me, so aside from natural weather conditions and idiots on the road, I won't be driving crazy anyway...and chances are if either the former or latter were to cause a crash, with my luck, it wouldn't matter if I were towing with a JLU or a F550. LOL.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLU (3,500#, 350 TW cap) and I'm about to pick up our new 2020 Jayco 174BH, which tips the scales around 3,000# and 270 TW. I am well aware that I am at the upper end of my towing ability, and already have a Reese WDH, but based on feedback on here from other JLU owners with this same set up, and other who have successfully (safely??) towed much more, we decided to go for it. I spoke to a representative from FCU about maxing out the tow capacity, and they told me I can safely tow up to 3,500# and did not need to allow for that 10-15% rule of thumb. We shall see. If it ends up being too much for us, we have access to an F150 that'll do the trick, and we eventually want to trade in on a Gladiator with the max tow package.

Congrats on the new JLR and your initial tow experience! Good luck!
We tow a Jayco X17Z all over the place right at Max capacity. It tows great with a WDH and brake controller. Furthest we’ve towed a single direction is 5 hours but in a couple weeks we are pulling it 1100mi to North Carolina. Should make for a good test.

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
We tow a Jayco X17Z all over the place right at Max capacity. It tows great with a WDH and brake controller. Furthest we’ve towed a single direction is 5 hours but in a couple weeks we are pulling it 1100mi to North Carolina. Should make for a good test.
Did your Jeep come with the factory tow package or did you add everything? We had to add it all because the dealer lied to us about what the package entailed...sort of. So we don't have the trans cooler or the bigger alternator. Kind of bummed about that, but we'll do it right next time around lol.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Did your Jeep come with the factory tow package or did you add everything? We had to add it all because the dealer lied to us about what the package entailed...sort of. So we don't have the trans cooler or the bigger alternator. Kind of bummed about that, but we'll do it right next time around lol.
Yep we have the factory tow package and u swapped the grill inserts to the Gladiator inserts for more air flow.
We just towed from Chicago to North Carolina (about 1100mi) and didn’t have any issues. I’m sure the trans cooler helped (which yours should have too, I believe it’s standard not just on the tow package), I watched the temps the whole way out and none of them were above normal.
Sponsored