New JL won't stay in 4H

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Took our new 2020 JL out on some light dirt roads last weekend. It seems when we shift into 4H it drops in 2L. Seems random at times. I've repeated it several times on regular roads and it keeps happening. When I shift into 4L, something similar, it drops into N on the shifter display. Of course I will be making a stop a the dealership (3K miles only) soon. Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts. I'm thinking maybe the linkage isn't seating correctly?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
When shifting the first few times you may need to put a little more effort. When it first feels like it is there, put a bit more effort to pull thru the shift.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Took our new 2020 JL out on some light dirt roads last weekend. It seems when we shift into 4H it drops in 2L. Seems random at times. I've repeated it several times on regular roads and it keeps happening. When I shift into 4L, something similar, it drops into N on the shifter display. Of course I will be making a stop a the dealership (3K miles only) soon. Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts. I'm thinking maybe the linkage isn't seating correctly?

Thanks.
Keep pullin'.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Thanks. Sounds like an ex.
HA! The first time I put my JL in 4H it kept popping back to 2L, I just wasn't pulling it far enough (I was being gentle...). It gets much easier after repeated use (just like an ex).

Sponsored

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Thanks. Sounds like an ex.
Lol! It will be tight the first few times. Pull hard and don't be afraid too. It will loosen up over time.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You're really seeing it go from 4 HIGH to 2 LOW?

How did you confirm 2 LOW? If it's somehow engaging the planetaries itself for low range that's gotta be one violent, noisy clunk

I could understand dropping from 4H to 2H. There's a cable adjustment per other members...I think you need to pull the interior surround and access from the cab.

OP
OP

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just an update. I was having significant problems as the vehicle wouldn't stay in 4L despite working the shift lever as suggested here.

I did take it to the dealership who first suggested that it was due to me putting 35 inch tires without recalibrating the ECU :like:. I explained that it was happening before I did the tire swap.

Upon further digging it was a cable issue and I was having some binding issues. Luckily it was fixed and we spent the weekend in 4L without problems.
Sponsored