Sponsored

New JL wheels/tires/fenders/lift kit numbers overload

Zaanzabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
So, I have a brand new 2021 JL coming from the factory in about a month. In preparation, I have fallen down the rabbit hole of browsing jeep parts. I spent 3 days looking at jeep bumper stickers alone. So much fun. So excited. But since I don't have it in hand yet, I can't go out and measure things.

Originally I wanted to upgrade to larger tires, small lift kit, the whole batch. However since things were getting expensive fast, I decided that I needed to back off on some of the upgrades. I think I have got it figured out for the most part, but I am having a tough time reconciling all of the numbers that go around these things, and I don't want to go ahead and order things without having someone else who knows their stuff confirm it. Here is what I have decided on:

Wheels: 17x9 +0 offset
Tires: 285/70R17
Lift Kit: leveling kit only

According to this website: https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
I think I have entered the information correctly and it says that with that configuration, I should not have any rubbing of components, and the new tires will stick out approximately 2.5" beyond the old tires. It also says my speedometer will be off by +2.4mph at 60mph.

Question 1: Am I correct, did I figure it out correctly?

Question 2: If the Tires stick out 2.5" further than the stock tires, how much will they stick out beyond the fender flares?

Question 2a: If they stick out too far, I won't be able to get an inspection sticker without extended fender flares. If so, How to I go about finding new fender flares that LOOK like stock, but are an inch or two wider? There seem to be too many options out there.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So, I have a brand new 2021 JL coming from the factory in about a month. In preparation, I have fallen down the rabbit hole of browsing jeep parts. I spent 3 days looking at jeep bumper stickers alone. So much fun. So excited. But since I don't have it in hand yet, I can't go out and measure things.

Originally I wanted to upgrade to larger tires, small lift kit, the whole batch. However since things were getting expensive fast, I decided that I needed to back off on some of the upgrades. I think I have got it figured out for the most part, but I am having a tough time reconciling all of the numbers that go around these things, and I don't want to go ahead and order things without having someone else who knows their stuff confirm it. Here is what I have decided on:

I think I have entered the information correctly and it says that with that configuration, I should not have any rubbing of components, and the new tires will stick out approximately 2.5" beyond the old tires. It also says my speedometer will be off by +2.4mph at 60mph.

Question 2: If the Tires stick out 2.5" further than the stock tires, how much will they stick out beyond the fender flares?

Question 2a: If they stick out too far, I won't be able to get an inspection sticker without extended fender flares. If so, How to I go about finding new fender flares that LOOK like stock, but are an inch or two wider? There seem to be too many options out there.
Not quite sure I follow your thinking here, what is it that you want to achieve, seems like if money is an issue here, you should try to minimize unnecessary spending.

If you really wanted to save money, you should just mount those tires on your stock wheels.
Also if you are looking at 285/70R17 tires, just grab a set of Rubicon take-offs, they usually can be had for a good price.

Plenty of people swap in rubicon take-off tires on their stock Sport or Sahara and they mount just fine.

OP
OP

Zaanzabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Oh, sorry for not being clear. One main objective is to get a more aggressive look with wider tires and custom alloy wheels, but not to go larger. Saving money is always a concern, if only to allow me to get more Jeep parts with it.

I guess I have put so much time and effort into this research to learn the lingo and figure this out, I mostly want confirmation that I haven't screwed up something basic. I don't want to go spend all this money only to find out something rubs or won't fit, or whatever.

I am also concerned about being TOO wide, as to stick out beyond the fender flares so much that I can't get an inspection sticker.

I have spent like 2 weeks trying to get my head wrapped around all these numbers and trying to reconcile them all. I have nobody local to ask about this, so I turned here to see if I have interpreted the information correctly.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Welcome to the community and congratulations on your new JL!

The factory tires are going to be +/- 1" below flush with the fenders. So, your new setup will poke outside of the fender by 1.5ish". You should be perfectly fine as far as rubbing, even if left at stock height.

As for your state laws, do they just fail you on inspection for tire poke or do the local police also enforce it? If it's just an inspection issue, simply keep the factory wheel and tire assemblies for sticker time and switch them back to the nice set afterwards.
Sponsored